BC Rivalry | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

BC Rivalry

the rivalry thing was a huge loss in the conference reshuffling. Where we had rivalries (the big east) we lost those in hoops. GTown, Uconn, St Johns. Rivalries built from personalities, high ranking games, etc.

Penn St was def the closest we came b/c Mac/Paterno had something going personality wise to push it higher and farther. Like I said had Coughlin remained at BC to say 1995 and if Mac stayed at Syracuse through the mid 90s we prob could have built it w those colorful guys.

one other thing that would help would be a real trophy game btw us.

Yep, conference reshuffling killed everything for us. In addition, of the four former BE foes, three of them aren't even in our division any longer.

As for PSU, for many years we considered them our rival but they considered us a speed bump. Even under Mac we only went 2-8 against them, including losing the last two games of the Mac tenure.

I wish we could go back to playing WVU in the regular season. Maybe a couple home-and-homes per decade. A solid, but not overly difficult opponent. They always bring a lot of fans to the Dome which is good for our attendance numbers.

I wish we could go back to playing WVU in the regular season. Maybe a couple home-and-homes per decade. A solid, but not overly difficult opponent. They always bring a lot of fans to the Dome which is good for our attendance numbers.

the rivalry thing would be helped immeasurably if Syracuse, Pitt, Tech, Miami, BC were on one side of the ACC ledger divisions wise. The fact we hadn't played at Lane since we joined the conference is preposterous. I don't think the ACC has factored in our inability to build meaningful rivalry games in the ACC because they only added us for eyeballs and NY Market. When money distorts things, the big loser is the alum/fans who enjoyed our regional snowball fights historically

the rivalry thing would be helped immeasurably if Syracuse, Pitt, Tech, Miami, BC were on one side of the ACC ledger divisions wise. The fact we hadn't played at Lane since we joined the conference is preposterous. I don't think the ACC has factored in our inability to build meaningful rivalry games in the ACC because they only added us for eyeballs and NY Market. When money distorts things, the big loser is the alum/fans who enjoyed our regional snowball fights historically
You could change the divisions to OG ACC in the Atlantic and the Coastal as the newer teams.

C- FSU, Miami, SU, BC, VA Tech, Pitt, Louisville
A- Clemson, GA Tech, Duke, Wake, UVA, UNC, NC State

Clemson keeps FSU, GA Tech, Wake, NC State and trades SU, BC, Louisville for Duke, UVA, UNC. Are they not happy?

The Carolina schools get to all be in the same division. Are they not happy? Yes, they don't play in Florida often but that is overrated for recruiting IMO. Is a kid from South Florida really choosing to play at NC State because they play every other year in Tallahassee? Plus no more games against those Yankees.

FSU keeps Clemson, Miami, SU, BC, Louisville and trades Wake and NC State for VA Tech and Pitt. Is that not an upgrade for them?

The Old Big East teams get to actually play each other again. Are they not happy?

ACC scheduling is utter lunacy. Playing 6/14ths of the conference only once every SIX YEARS is preposterous.

Not really a rivalry. If we had made the jump with them it could have been. Their glory days ended as soon as we joined or maybe a year or two before when they fired Jagodzinski for interviewing with the Jets. They were close to what Clemson has been for a couple years.

But we were in a similar spot to this week in 2019 after Duke win. I'm a little worried wish this game was after Thanksgiving and they'd be checked out and we were taking a crack at Pitt Sat.

One of the worst parts about Corona is that we didn't get to play @ BC opening day weekend since its late in the year. I hope next year after 3 straight Dome games its early.

The only games that stand out to me in our history with BC are the Diamond Ferri game and the Glen Foley game. One was better than the other.

The Mcnabb/Vick years was a frothy rivalry with VaTech, loved to hate them in those years. That’s the rivalry I miss most.
My favorite rivalry was Penn St. First game in 1922. Rivalry suspended 1991.

This rivalry has in fact been heating up, with last year’s game being more than chippy; the flag planting, the fighting at the end, their fans being horrible to our fans visiting etc.

All things going on with our season aside, let’s get this W. I don’t care if you have to run out a jumbo package and ram Allen through non stop, let’s just get this done.

LGO!

My favorite rivalry was Penn St. First game in 1922.
I remember SWC75 did a lot of research for that game

1698979893189.jpeg

We don't have a rivalry. Anybody we want to have a rivalry with doesn't take us seriously, and the teams we should probably hate are teams we don't care about, we don't play often enough, or one or both teams have sucked too much for any rivalry to exist.

Historically, Colgate was our major rival and they beat us constantly during the Hoodoo years.
Penn State, Pitt. WVU made up the "Little Four" with us in the fifties, sixties and seventies.
BC kind of snuck in as an eastern rival, even though they lack a fan base.
The few successes we had against Miami made us feel good, but they never called us a rival.
We have/had a strong distaste for Rutgers, but we deny to give the dignity of being a rival.
Same thing, really for UConn, who got good enough to beat us a few times.
Since the move to the ACC, we haven't been threatening enough to be anyone's rival.
Bottom line, we need to start kicking some butt and ruining people's weekends if we want to be someone's rival.

The old school ACC programs want more games against each other and less games vs us, BC, and Pitt (also LVille) so we have to play them a lot.

I think playing Pitt and BC earlier would give the games more juice one or both teams are always tapped out when we play each other. The AD needs to step in and move them up once and a while. We were supposed to finally open 2020 @ Boston College until that pandemic thing.

This rivalry has in fact been heating up, with last year’s game being more than chippy; the flag planting, the fighting at the end, their fans being horrible to our fans visiting etc.

All things going on with our season aside, let’s get this W. I don’t care if you have to run out a jumbo package and ram Allen through non stop, let’s just get this done.

LGO!

I feel pretty meh about this game……..

“Rivalry” or not

Honestly, if I didn’t have seasons I wouldn’t even be thinking about attending this game…

I’m over this HC but will be there to support the student athletes

I don’t understand why BC and Pitt aren’t separated. One home and one away each year. The current schedule makes little sense. They had a chance to change it next year. We aren’t playing Pitt at home this year so we could play BC away and Pitt home next year. It would help make up for the Pitt fiasco this year.

I don’t understand why BC and Pitt aren’t separated. One home and one away each year. The current schedule makes little sense. They had a chance to change it next year. We aren’t playing Pitt at home this year so we could play BC away and Pitt home next year. It would help make up for the Pitt fiasco this year.

Not up to Syracuse on that one

That is completely and squarely on the shoulders of the ACC

Our rival is Rutgers since about 2004.

Sorry but that’s the fact

Before that it was at times one sided Miami, Penn st and for a brief moment WVU.

BC is a skirmish similar to Pitt.

The ACC killed any regionalization.

Do we even have a rivalry week rally? Anything?

Or does the AD see 25,000 seats sold by mid week and decide thats good enough for Syracuse?

You don’t need a Brinks truck to do more than we do to build some culture

Or does the AD see 25,000 seats sold by mid week and decide thats good enough for Syracuse?

Our rival is really any team making more money in the big or sec

It’s all about money making so those are our rivals with greater revenue.

Of all the home games, they’re the team that sticks out as always bringing lots of fans. No matter how good they were that year, their fans always showed up and were usually spread out all over the dome. I’m guessing because they don’t know numbers so didn’t understand where the designated WVU area was.

I love what's going on with the BC rivalry. Seems like the teams really don't like each other. We desperately need a rival and I think this is shaping up that way. I'm in my late-30s and never really cared about Georgetown or others in hoops. Cringe when current students say Duke is a rival and also don't really care about Rutgers and Pitt has gone back and forth with one team dominating for stretches.

Would love to see this continue and moved to the last game of the season. New York and Boston teams are natural rivals in most of the pro sports. BC and Syracuse are similar schools in that they're northeast private schools that play most of the same sports aside from BC having men's hockey and no men's lacrosse. Let's keep this going and I don't want to hear Brent Axe poo poo it like he did last year. If the teams don't like each other, lets see both fan bases get into it and keep it going.

I think they're in the mid-40s for ticket sales. They said there's more tickets out than there were for Clemson which was low 40s.

I love what's going on with the BC rivalry. Seems like the teams really don't like each other. We desperately need a rival and I think this is shaping up that way. I'm in my late-30s and never really cared about Georgetown or others in hoops. Cringe when current students say Duke is a rival and also don't really care about Rutgers and Pitt has gone back and forth with one team dominating for stretches.

Would love to see this continue and moved to the last game of the season. New York and Boston teams are natural rivals in most of the pro sports. BC and Syracuse are similar schools in that they're northeast private schools that play most of the same sports aside from BC having men's hockey and no men's lacrosse. Let's keep this going and I don't want to hear Brent Axe poo poo it like he did last year. If the teams don't like each other, lets see both fan bases get into it and keep it going.
Exactly, plenty of reasons why this is shaping out to be a rivalry. I’m not sure what others expect, have to take what we can get.