Because Dino will be retained. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Because Dino will be retained.

The game was officiated to allow their corners to hold our receivers, the announcers said that over and over, and it was clear that was the case.
That’s because our receivers never ran down field or did any crossing routes. That’s what a well coached team does when you put out a dog$&@! Offensive scheme. Was Clemson suppose to give us 10 yards like we gift to everyone.

Firing Dino would be the silliest move since hiring Gerg. All the whinging on this board makes me sick. We just lost to CLEMSON by a missed FG. We are 3 or 4 plays from being 6-1 - even 7-0 if you squint hard on the Rutgers game.

This team looks better than the Dungey miracle year. It has young and athletic talent on D.

The team has a generational star in Tucker. And an emerging leader in Shrader.

Stop spazzing out. The losses suck. But EVERY game has been a total joy. Completely entertaining.

If you can’t see the unbelievable level of improvement from last year - I don’t know what you are watching.

We are probably the 60th program in P5. This isn’t Alabama. Dino has something cooking. The Dome looks incredible.

Firing him now would be like firing Coach Mac in ‘86.

Have some perspective. Keep your powder dry everyone.

The Detroit Lions have lost 3 games on last second plays this season. That doesn’t mean they are good, it just means losing teams find ways to lose.

Last edited:
That’s because our receivers never ran down field or did any crossing routes. That’s what a well coached team does when you put out a dog$&@! Offensive scheme. Was Clemson suppose to give us 10 yards like we gift to everyone.
Their secondary are NFL level talent. You think our receivers are going to win matchups against them? Georgia scored 10 points against them.

Their secondary are NFL level talent. You think our receivers are going to win matchups against them? Georgia scored 10 points against them.
So does that mean we should just bubble screen them all day.

Who do you fire? You're only allowed 10 asst coaches:

NAMETITLE
Sterlin GilbertOffensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Tony WhiteDefensive Coordinator
Chris AchuffLinebackers
Reno FerriTight Ends/Inside Receivers
Mike LynchRunning Backs
Nick MonroeSafeties/Nickelbacks
Vinson ReynoldsDefensive Line
Terrence SamuelWide Receivers Coach
Mike SchmidtOffensive Line
Chip WestCornerbacks
Give Nick special teams on top of his current duties and pay him more money. He has great energy and is one of our best coaches. He would be my choice

Because Dino will be retained JW needs to take the following steps to protect the program while SU works through this situation.

1: Publicly support Dino and more importantly his staff and players. The message has to be strong or the next two recruiting classes will be complete bust and we will lose good players as nobody who has choices will choose to remain with a lame duck coach.

2: Back this up by providing coaches White, Monroe, and Schmidt with raises and two year contract guarantees. Losing anyone of these three coaches will be disastrous. When your head coach is weak at X & Os you cant afford to loose your best coaches. Losing White would be a train wreck.

3: Mandate that Dino hire a special teams coach.

4: Become more involved with the team. Be a presence. Show support.

In any situation when their is unrest at the top of an organization fear becomes a motivating factor. In fact it is the strongest.

Most involved will look inward, look at how this affects them personally.

Players will obviously decide to stay or leave. Recruits the same.

Assistant coaches are the most at risk. Those with choices will often leave.

Teams are like companies. Players are employees and Assistant coaches management. We can all relate.

JW can and i strongly believe has already made the decision to retain Dino.
Right or wrong and why doesn't matter at this point.

What does matter is how he handles it. He cant do this half arsed. He needs to be all in. 100% supportive and he needs to back that up with a financial commitment to the Assistant coaches as to retain Dino and lose the assistants is the absolute worst case scenario.
Bottom line is JW needs to spend some of the saved buyout money on keeping the guys that are responsible for this team doing better on board.
Pay Monroe, Schmidt, and most importantly coach White so they dont bail.
I find myself disagreeing with nearly everything in this thread.

I’d rather have JW wait until the end of the season and make an emphatic call one way or another.

Going all-in on a coach whose team lost three games while questionable in-game decisions would be a fan-base killer, especially if we wind up going 3-9. As well as we’ve played, that is still technically possible.

Firing Dino would be the silliest move since hiring Gerg. All the whinging on this board makes me sick. We just lost to CLEMSON by a missed FG. We are 3 or 4 plays from being 6-1 - even 7-0 if you squint hard on the Rutgers game.

This team looks better than the Dungey miracle year. It has young and athletic talent on D.

Stop spazzing out. The losses suck. But EVERY game has been a total joy. Completely entertaining.

If you can’t see the unbelievable level of improvement from last year - I don’t know what you are watching.

We are probably the 60th program in P5. This isn’t Alabama. Dino has something cooking. The Dome looks incredible.

Enjoyable? I don’t care about enjoyable just win games. I would rather go 6-6 with 6 blowout losses then 4-8/5-7 with close losses

Dino is here for at least one more year. His buyout is way too high.

Enjoyable? I don’t care about enjoyable just win games. I would rather go 6-6 with 6 blowout losses then 4-8/5-7 with close losses
Tough call. Have 2013 where we get our asses kicked when we lose or 4-8 where we lose close games and are close to being a legit Top 25 team. Long term 2013 for sure. One season though where you have higher hopes for the following season is tough.

A couple of more things to consider.

I know many want Gilbert gone. Im on the fence. He is playing a QB who is a very good runner, has good vision is a good leader tough as nails and is obviously a great competitor unfortunately he doesnt have a very strong arm. He is an average at best passer and he takes chances that are both good and bad. Because of this Gilbert is limited in what he can do. Clemson completely took the run away from us in the third Q and we didnt have an answer. Im not sure what we could have done differently but hopefully we start to use the tight ends more. Where is Benson? So i give Gilbert a break and maybe with some solid off season work both Shrader and the WR group improve in the passing game. Hopefully Sharder goes off to some passing coach and becomes better because if he can improve to the point that he is an average passer he is going to be tough to stop.

Next point. Go hard this off season and get a few play makers. Somehow we need to find another OL CB and Wr that are game ready and for Gods sake find a punter and a kicker.

OL wow is schmidt a coach or what. He has completely changed the direction of the OL group. He has added depth and has two frosh who are playing lights out. This guy is the difference. Sure Cav dealt with injuries but his scheme sucked and he wasnt a good coach. In fact he sucked.

Coach White. Is this guy something or what. Simply amazing i pray that we can keep him but im very doubtful. JW needs to step up in a big way as he is a special coach.

Lets hope that JW becomes a true leader and keeps this program together as keeping Dino is a huge roll of the dice.

VT is beyond important. Lets hope we can pull a miracle and win one.

Dino can't hire another coach for special teams. They're at the limit for asst coaches.

He could either:
- Assign special teams coaching to an existing coach. For example, Lustig at Vandy coaches special teams and TE. And he's assistant HC. At Clemson, special teams are coached by the same guy who coaches safeties. The only SU coaches with some ST coaching experience appear to be Terrence Samuel and Dino.

- Get a better analyst to coach ST. There's no limit to the number of analysts you can have. Alabama supposedly has 11. SU currently has Jeff Hammerschmidt as the analyst for special teams:
They also have Blair Cavanaugh as special teams quality control coach.
If they open up the checkbook, higher profile/more experienced options must be available.

The problem with the analyst as your STC is the fact that NCAA rules do not allow them to actually COACH the special teams. They can break down film and hold a clip board but they cannot actually coach the special teams.

Dino is here for at least one more year. His buyout is way too high.
The buyout isn’t paid all at one time.
It’s paid over time. It would be negotiated.

I hate the fact we would keep a coach who isn’t good just because we want to chop money off the buyout next year and then waste another year.

If we can’t get to a bowl this season we need a new HC.

The buyout isn’t paid all at one time.
It’s paid over time. It would be negotiated.

I hate the fact we would keep a coach who isn’t good just because we want to chop money off the buyout next year and then waste another year.

If we can’t get to a bowl this season we need a new HC.
He is going to be our coach next year

We do show tremendous improvement from last year but that isn’t saying much. We were the worst P5 team in the country and one of the worst FBS teams. We have lost to a trash Rutgers team at home. The worst Florida St team in 50 years. A decent Wake Forest team at home and the worst Clemson team in over 10 years at home. Our OC schedule is weak and the watered down ACC is not exactly murderers row.
We are staring at a 3 to 5 win season and no bowl game again. The fact that Dino hasn’t been fired tells me exactly SU’s level of commitment to fielding a decent team.

And let's not forget the students are turning out like never before. And if you tell them to wear white, they wear white. If you tell them to wear Orange, they wear Orange. Oh, and they stay for the ENTIRE game because we are playing an entire game. There is a movement bubbling up here and I agree we need to be a little more patient. Do these close loses hurt? You bet they do. But they are not embarrassing blow outs where you want to forget what school you went to. Oh and we probably lead the nation in covering the point spread. #BetSU.

We do show tremendous improvement from last year but that isn’t saying much. We were the worst P5 team in the country and one of the worst FBS teams. We have lost to a trash Rutgers team at home. The worst Florida St team in 50 years. A decent Wake Forest team at home and the worst Clemson team in over 10 years at home. Our OC schedule is weak and the watered down ACC is not exactly murderers row.
We are staring at a 3 to 5 win season and no bowl game again. The fact that Dino hasn’t been fired tells me exactly SU’s level of commitment to fielding a decent team.
I posted this in another thread. When a school goes for a big buyout to protect the coach from being poached and create a war chest in the event he leaves the school has to be prepared to handle the negativce flip side of the coin and have the balls to fire a losing coach and eat the buyout. SU didnt expect this fall at all and now they are stuck because the dont have the stomach to fire him

Who do you fire? You're only allowed 10 asst coaches:

NAMETITLE
Sterlin GilbertOffensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks
Tony WhiteDefensive Coordinator
Chris AchuffLinebackers
Reno FerriTight Ends/Inside Receivers
Mike LynchRunning Backs
Nick MonroeSafeties/Nickelbacks
Vinson ReynoldsDefensive Line
Terrence SamuelWide Receivers Coach
Mike SchmidtOffensive Line
Chip WestCornerbacks
Oh jeez I didn't even know Lynch was still with the program. I thought he left years ago. Haven't heard his name in a long time.

The biggest indictment of babers is that in an era of offensive football, he, a coach we hired for his offensive innovation mind you, is fielding a bottom-10 offense with a qb who can’t pass.
GS is not an elite passer but he is a good passer. He showed he can throw the deep pass. It is difficult when your receivers do not get open or seems to fall on the ground before the ball arrives. Did he throw some bad passes? Yes. Did he miss some open receivers? Yes. Was he under pressure on a lot of passes but moved around to get the pass off? Yes. Did his receivers drop catchable balls. Yes. Did the receivers get open consistently. No
Passing game is not great but it is not all on GS.

A couple of more things to consider.

I know many want Gilbert gone. Im on the fence. He is playing a QB who is a very good runner, has good vision is a good leader tough as nails and is obviously a great competitor unfortunately he doesnt have a very strong arm. He is an average at best passer and he takes chances that are both good and bad. Because of this Gilbert is limited in what he can do. Clemson completely took the run away from us in the third Q and we didnt have an answer. Im not sure what we could have done differently but hopefully we start to use the tight ends more. Where is Benson? So i give Gilbert a break and maybe with some solid off season work both Shrader and the WR group improve in the passing game. Hopefully Sharder goes off to some passing coach and becomes better because if he can improve to the point that he is an average passer he is going to be tough to stop.

Next point. Go hard this off season and get a few play makers. Somehow we need to find another OL CB and Wr that are game ready and for Gods sake find a punter and a kicker.

OL wow is schmidt a coach or what. He has completely changed the direction of the OL group. He has added depth and has two frosh who are playing lights out. This guy is the difference. Sure Cav dealt with injuries but his scheme sucked and he wasnt a good coach. In fact he sucked.

Coach White. Is this guy something or what. Simply amazing i pray that we can keep him but im very doubtful. JW needs to step up in a big way as he is a special coach.

Lets hope that JW becomes a true leader and keeps this program together as keeping Dino is a huge roll of the dice.

VT is beyond important. Lets hope we can pull a miracle and win one.
I’m in favor of keeping Dino despite him causing me to break my remote last night (can I invoice SUAD?). I think he’s gotten the hard/most important things right with this program - he’s built a talented team and has a solid coaching staff. That’s like 95% of what a head coach does.

The gameday stuff is super frustrating but it is MUCH easier to bring someone in to help with that than it is to start over with a new staff, losing good players and recruits in the process.

I’m in favor of keeping Dino despite him causing me to break my remote last night (can I invoice SUAD?). I think he’s gotten the hard/most important things right with this program - he’s built a talented team and has a solid coaching staff. That’s like 95% of what a head coach does.

The gameday stuff is super frustrating but it is MUCH easier to bring someone in to help with that than it is to start over with a new staff, losing good players and recruits in the process.
Captains of massive tanker ships dont park them.
Someone else pointed out that Lane K has an analyst who provides him with information to help make statistically correct decisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom