Benny Williams dismissed from program | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams dismissed from program

Hot take - Benny is the biggest bust of a high level recruit since I began following Cuse basketball in 1976. Addition by subtraction.

Good for Red showing he means it when he talks about the Orange standard.

Last edited:
Good luck to Benny. I hope he is smart enough to stay in school, finish the semester and present himself as a viable option for another program for his senior season.

We met him when he came to our of our tailgates. Somewhere deep inside, there is a really nice kid in there. I hope we see more of that guy someday when he finds a new school.
He’s just a kid that really doesn’t love basketball. But he’s a good kid. Lost maybe but a good heart

The athlete aside, I hope he can still graduate from SU even if he’s off the team. I presume he loses his scholarship too. I guess there’s the portal though.

247 on Benny as a freshman recruit:

“Has positive length for a combo forward. Is thin, however, and needs to build up mass and strength. A high leaper with athleticism. Can struggle to utilize athleticism against contact and while in traffic. Has a great shooters touch. Finishes well on the move going to the basket. Is a reliable three-point shooter. Has potential to really extend his range. Not necessarily a nifty ball handler, but Williams is a reliable handler and can see the floor and distribute while on the move. Is a straight line driver who likes to utilize a crossover early in the drive. Has potential has a versatile defender and overall rebounder. Developing physical strength and toughness is vital.”

Some of that is true. Benny hit 9% of his threes as a freshman, 40% as a sophomore and 21% as a junior. He was neither a nifty or reliable ball handler. He's not a distributor. He wasn't a "versatile defender" or "overall rebounder".
He was a great distributor, IMO. He had many nice give and gos, and high los. Ah well. Onwards and upwards.

He’s just a kid that really doesn’t love basketball. But he’s a good kid. Lost maybe but a good heart
I think that's the part that bothers me. He seemed to be a good young man that struggled with maturity. I really wanted him to break out, because he really is talented. He was GREAT his senior year in high school. His freshman year here, he looked terrible.

well we'll see how you treat them when they're 20/21. I'm sure you'll be doing everything for them and treating them like kids. And if you don't their mom surely will.

Look the kid got kicked off the team as he should. Nobody is coddling him. My comments were made for anyone attacking him. He's clearly a very immature kid. He's not a 38 year old grown ass man.
I gotta disagree. Hug them and tell them u love them but when they screw up ya have to be hard because life isnt easy and never is gonna be. He never should have gotten to this point to be honest as i woulda kicked him off much earlier if i was coach and as a parent I would be harder on him than coach was. I would have told him u need to shut your mouth, look coach in eye like a man would and do whatever he wants u to do as he is trying to help him. Listen to what Shaq's pops use to tell him. Hopefully the kid gets it but I doubt he will sadly.

His teammates do not share in the board's enthusiasm over this event, at least per the broken heart emojis they are sharing on iG.
I suppose that they could feel sorry for their teammate, while at the same time feeling relieved that he is gone. I think many of us have thought that there was a “cancer“ on the team, and perhaps more than one. We are a young team, and our other very young team had Kueth Duany to settle the youngsters down. I also remember that there was some unease when Billy enter the program late, and JB handled this very well.

Although it is true that we have some limitations on the team that are physical – like not being able to shoot – I wonder how many are psychological? That is always an issue when people work together, and a basketball team is no exception. I hope so much we can come together for the rest of the season. If anyone in the know could reassure us about that possibility, I for one would really appreciate it.

Again, use a different word. He's not a "kid." He's an adult who received a scholarship to play D1 sports. Act like an adult. You don't, you suffer the consequences.

And watch your mouth. I thought discussing families and people's personal lives were no-bueno on this board. You're bordering dangerously close here.

I don't know you, and you don't know me, so mind your own business.
And you don't know Benny Williams so ...

A lot of people predicted this, and they also have been saying others may leave too such as Copeland. Is there any truth to that? I would be shocked. Copeland is a ray of sunshine. Benny was the only problem so I don't know why others would be in jeopardy.

247 on Benny as a freshman recruit:

“Has positive length for a combo forward. Is thin, however, and needs to build up mass and strength. A high leaper with athleticism. Can struggle to utilize athleticism against contact and while in traffic. Has a great shooters touch. Finishes well on the move going to the basket. Is a reliable three-point shooter. Has potential to really extend his range. Not necessarily a nifty ball handler, but Williams is a reliable handler and can see the floor and distribute while on the move. Is a straight line driver who likes to utilize a crossover early in the drive. Has potential has a versatile defender and overall rebounder. Developing physical strength and toughness is vital.”

Some of that is true. Benny hit 9% of his threes as a freshman, 40% as a sophomore and 21% as a junior. He was neither a nifty or reliable ball handler. He's not a distributor. He wasn't a "versatile defender" or "overall rebounder".
Recruiting whiff, mis-evaluated. Look at his offer list, doesnt scream 5 star to me.

I think some of the reactions would be a little different on this board if everyone knew what happened all year.

If Red wasn't a 1st year coach trying to get his footing, I think he would have been gone before the 1st game

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom