Benny Williams dismissed from program | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams dismissed from program

I gotta disagree. Hug them and tell them u love them but when they screw up ya have to be hard because life isnt easy and never is gonna be. He never should have gotten to this point to be honest as i woulda kicked him off much earlier if i was coach and as a parent I would be harder on him than coach was. I would have told him u need to shut your mouth, look coach in eye like a man would and do whatever he wants u to do as he is trying to help him. Listen to what Shaq's pops use to tell him. Hopefully the kid gets it but I doubt he will sadly.

I agree with all that and I said a few times he should've been booted last year. I wouldn't have tolerated any of his antics. People seem to be confusing that because I said he's just a kid, that I wouldn't punish him.

Since when are adults that are over 18 considered "kids"?

Really odd that we infantilize college athletes regularly.

I couldn't agree more. It's, IMO, a result of a cultural type shift of particular/standard values/ways in which younger generations of parents chose to raise their kids, etc.

Whatever belief system one rolls with nowadays, there's a reason the law states you're a legal adult at the age of 18.

Short term, who knows. Long term, this is a good thing. If there is a cancer of attitude on this team, it needs to be removed before next year when hopefully, there is some more roster turnover and an influx of transfers and freshman

I think Benny was more athletically gifted than actually talented at basketball. I think in his mind he was very talented and deserved to play every minute. I think that’s been the problem from the onset. He has a major ego issue, also as many pointed out very immature.

Guys like him come and go. You have relied on your physical gifts since grade school. Not spent the time and effort to improve your craft.

If his goal is going to be professional basketball he needs to grow up quickly. He has the tools. He needs to get serious about his shortcomings and get to work.

I gotta disagree. Hug them and tell them u love them but when they screw up ya have to be hard because life isnt easy and never is gonna be. He never should have gotten to this point to be honest as i woulda kicked him off much earlier if i was coach and as a parent I would be harder on him than coach was. I would have told him u need to shut your mouth, look coach in eye like a man would and do whatever he wants u to do as he is trying to help him. Listen to what Shaq's pops use to tell him. Hopefully the kid gets it but I doubt he will sadly.
I like your take here, but when you mentioned Shaq's pops, all I could think of was this amazing skit from SNL. Sorry for getting off topic.
1998-shaquille-oneal-tracy-morgan-snljpg.jpg

I don't go to many games a year but at the BC game his energy was really really weird. I was behind the Syracuse bench and he doesn't sit on the bench and is behind the bench.

Kid is out to lunch or has some issues. Wish him the best
Taurean Thompson level weird?

Let's get off this kid. He is having a tough stretch but we have all seen the potential in him. He fights hard on D when he is out there and if he can fight through his struggles with shooting confidence, the kid can score a lot of points in a short time. He's been nothing but torched on this board.
Who were you watching? I haven’t seen any of this in almost 3 seasons and a lot of what we’re seeing was brought up before he got here. Good riddance. Maybe he can go average 7/5 for Rhode Island or something.

Who were you watching? I haven’t seen any of this in almost 3 seasons and a lot of what we’re seeing was brought up before he got here. Good riddance. Maybe he can go average 7/5 for Rhode Island or something.
I'm talking about Taylor, not Williams.

As sad as I am for Benny (boy what could have been), this absolutely had to happen. You have to cut cancers out before if metastasizes (might be a little late here). Kudos to Red for making a tough call.

Benny is going to look back in 20-30 years and wonder what could have been…what a shame

I believe he was talking about JT with that reply.

I think Benny was more athletically gifted than actually talented at basketball. I think in his mind he was very talented and deserved to play every minute. I think that’s been the problem from the onset. He has a major ego issue, also as many pointed out very immature.

Guys like him come and go. You have relied on your physical gifts since grade school. Not spent the time and effort to improve your craft.

If his goal is going to be professional basketball he needs to grow up quickly. He has the tools. He needs to get serious about his shortcomings and get to work.

agreed, I always thought this was rooted to him being put on a pedestal his whole life and told how great he was. 99% of people on this message board said as much to. He was the 5 star program savior who would play every minute. Well he thought the same thing. Seems like it went south when it was realized he'd have to work for it and he had too many flaws he couldn't overcome with sheer athleticism. Kid is as physically gifted as I've ever seen though,.

Last edited:
I wonder if his Nil payments end and he will have to repay what he’s been given already

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom