Benny Williams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to point out that these exact same words could have been said about a couple guys named Jalen and Woody the last 2 seasons. One never knows.
No question...only going off of what I can see from TV coverage. They might all transfer!

also...wisely coach sees his comments and probably rewards this mature approach too with more playing time. He seems to be making more of an effort to keep him in there. To be honest, I think JBIII as backup center could be designed to get more minutes for Benny.
I agree and posted during Wake game. As Benny's game comes around either Frank or Cole lose minutes.

Williams doesn’t plan to leave Syracuse and he wants to eliminate any discussion about him entering the portal.

“I saw a lot of stuff on Twitter and Instagram that said I would be entering the transfer portal in the middle of the season, but I just wanted to clear up any rumors that I won’t be entering the transfer portal in the middle of the season or at the end of the season, regardless of how this season pans out,” Williams said. “It’s no need to have the discussion. I picked this school for a reason and I’m trusting the process and everything’s going to take care of itself.”
Just became my favorite player on the team. Prove them wrong.

What attitude did Wes Johnson have before he got here?
Trusting the process and realizing you have room to grow under a hall of fame coach’s expertise is a bit different than where Wes started. Thankfully for Wes, thats where he transitioned to.

There are many examples of SU players having rough frosh seasons and then flourishing in their sophomore year... Paul Harris, Todd Burgan, Kris Joseph, Rak, Fab Melo, Dion Waiters, Brandon Triche, Andy Rautins.

I think it's very possible Benny could be added to that list next year.
Paul Harris, and especially Brandon Triche, were very solid players as freshmen; Harris was an elite rebounder, and Triche exhibited a well-rounded game from the jump.

Paul Harris, and especially Brandon Triche, were very solid players as freshmen; Harris was an elite rebounder, and Triche exhibited a well-rounded game from the jump.

Yeah, I'm not sure by ANYBODY's standards that RoboTriche 'struggled' as a Frosh.
He wasn't a Burger Boy or even Top 100 'croot, IIRC.

He was a starter (35/35 games) for an amazing team (Shut It Down!), and shot over 40% from 3.

Yeah, Andy Rautins was the de facto PG, and Scoop also got a lotta run, but Brandon was an invaluable part of what may have been our best TEAM ever. As a Frosh.

From OrangeHoops.org

Triche would finish his career having played and started more games than anyone previously at Syracuse, with 147 games.

Yeah, I'm not sure by ANYBODY's standards that RoboTriche 'struggled' as a Frosh.
He wasn't a Burger Boy or even Top 100 'croot, IIRC.

He was a starter (35/35 games) for an amazing team (Shut It Down!), and shot over 40% from 3.

Yeah, Andy Rautins was the de facto PG, and Scoop also got a lotta run, but Brandon was an invaluable part of what may have been our best TEAM ever. As a Frosh.

From OrangeHoops.org

Triche would finish his career having played and started more games than anyone previously at Syracuse, with 147 games.
Joe should pass that his 5th year right?

Fair enough. I looked back at their stats and they both had better frosh years than I originally remembered.

With Triche I just remember him being more of a token starter (not to the level of Rak and Fab) in 2010 while Scoop usually finished games. And then JB trusted him way more his soph year.

Fair enough. I looked back at their stats and they both had better frosh years than I originally remembered.

With Triche I just remember him being more of a token starter (not to the level of Rak and Fab) in 2010 while Scoop usually finished games. And then JB trusted him way more his soph year.

Scoop was a RS Soph. 3rd year in the program.
Andy was a RS Sr - 5th year in the program.

And yet, Brandon, as a TRUE FROSH, earned EVERY start.

Like I said earlier, it's not like he was a Top 25 Mickey D's kinda guy, who got "promised" a (token) start -
see: Melo, Fab or Christmas, Rak.

And when it comes to PT, you know how Boeheim do:
He almost ALWAYS prioritizes upperclassmen over Frosh, unless those Frosh kick ass and take names, and force him to give them PT.

BT played 747 minutes that year, Scoop 778.
Over 35 games, that's nearly dead even.

There are many examples of SU players having rough frosh seasons and then flourishing in their sophomore year... Paul Harris, Todd Burgan, Kris Joseph, Rak, Fab Melo, Dion Waiters, Brandon Triche, Andy Rautins.

I think it's very possible Benny could be added to that list next year.
I wouldn’t put Burgan in that category and I wasn’t even a Burgan fan. He would come in and make shots as I recall.

His sophomore leap was still pretty huge, though.

Bennie says he's staying the course but the people in his inner circle might think otherwise with the way he's being handled...jmo

This is such message board crap. How is he being handled? He’s one of the least effective players we have ever had playing conference minutes at Syracuse. Blame whoever you want for that, but there is no logical reason he should ever see the court at this point. So “how he is being handled” is he’s getting minutes he is not earning. That’s a fact.

Everyone believes he will grow into a great player and I sincerely hope he does and I’m glad to see he recognizes that it isn’t the system, the coach, the rest of the roster, it’s his own failure to perform that is limiting his numbers.

This is such message board crap. How is he being handled? He’s one of the least effective players we have ever had playing conference minutes at Syracuse. Blame whoever you want for that, but there is no logical reason he should ever see the court at this point. So “how he is being handled” is he’s getting minutes he is not earning. That’s a fact.

Everyone believes he will grow into a great player and I sincerely hope he does and I’m glad to see he recognizes that it isn’t the system, the coach, the rest of the roster, it’s his own failure to perform that is limiting his numbers.
The logical reason he should see the court is we have 3 scholarship forwards, unless you want to count JBA, and 1 is the worst defensive forward we’ve had starting in literally decades per the analytics. theres not really any other option, by choice, of course.

agreed, that the minutes debate is kind of pointless. he’s simply not playing well enough

are we really patting kids on the back for being loyal after, checking notes, half a season in college basketball?

I mean this is called accountability towards a school that presented him with an opportunity. We have lost our minds with the way the portal has warped our idea of "when the going gets tough, the tough portals"

Good for him doing what he should. Learn to be better from the coach you decided to be taught from.
It's called positive reinforcement. it can be quite an effective motivator.
Not that Benny is going to see these posts.

Last edited:
Benny is going get a lot run during the rest of the season, and will have success. Just not last night. JB must have seen something he didn't like, and wanted to send a message.

Very good news and good for Benny for speaking up. Next year with him Jesse and Frank as the core we have the makings of a good team. Personally i hope that Buddy does return and would like Cole to play another year as well. With 5 new players Jesse, Frank, Symir and Joe coming back that gives us a solid roster. Adding Buddy and or Cole would help.
i am sad to say i would not count on either one of them to come back. that was totally a game that they should have had experience minutes in . i do not understand it.

Like snippets of Benny. Does well close to the basket. He seems not certain when he gets ball near the 3pt line. Inside, he is our best scorer, however, he does not have the experience dribbling the ball against better defenders than what he saw in HS. He will get there. Go CUSE.

It's called positive reinforcement. it can be quite an effective motivator.
Not that Benny is going to see these posts.
I get it. But we've lost the script when we are genuflecting to a scholarship athlete, who is barely playing and barely contributing, because he's a (checking notes) frosh learning how to play and contribute.

I love that he's a throwback to a player who realizes that it doesn't always happen overnight. Weird that we have to acknowledge someone positively for someone 100% of us had to deal with through our lives. Allow for tough coaching, learn as you go and someday you may be successful in what you do.

I get it. But we've lost the script when we are genuflecting to a scholarship athlete, who is barely playing and barely contributing, because he's a (checking notes) frosh learning how to play and contribute.

I love that he's a throwback to a player who realizes that it doesn't always happen overnight. Weird that we have to acknowledge someone positively for someone 100% of us had to deal with through our lives. Allow for tough coaching, learn as you go and someday you may be successful in what you do.
The question is why did this HC not have enough depth for this scenario?

I predicted Benny would play the 3rd most of the forwards. Now I didn’t expect him to struggle this badly but if the kid isn’t ready why did this HC not account for that and have more players who could play forward.

The plan should never be 35+ MPG for players like Swider and Boeheim III.
Instead we have to play those 2 the whole game and sprinkle in Benny just because.
That is it.

I am just sick of the roster management. We need change and we need it after this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom