Benny Williams | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
are we really patting kids on the back for being loyal after, checking notes, half a season in college basketball?

I mean this is called accountability towards a school that presented him with an opportunity. We have lost our minds with the way the portal has warped our idea of "when the going gets tough, the tough portals"

Good for him doing what he should. Learn to be better from the coach you decided to be taught from.

I get it. But we've lost the script when we are genuflecting to a scholarship athlete, who is barely playing and barely contributing, because he's a (checking notes) frosh learning how to play and contribute.

I love that he's a throwback to a player who realizes that it doesn't always happen overnight. Weird that we have to acknowledge someone positively for someone 100% of us had to deal with through our lives. Allow for tough coaching, learn as you go and someday you may be successful in what you do.

Your takes are admirable, however, IMO, seemingly out of touch relative to the majority of youths today, especially the ones that get so much extra attention on the athletic scholarship, etc. front. Look at all of these press conferences nowadays relative to school announcements, etc., moreover, the manner in which they are conducted. Furthermore, all of the social media platforms out there in which these teenagers are on about their alleged greatest, feeding their image, etc. That being the case, today's typical all about me behavior results, compounding further the ensuing attention pursued. All of this mind you, while not actually accomplishing feats yet anywhere worthy of such rock star type status.

Unfortunately, it's now significantly embedded in our culture and its seed's responsibility is well shared. I mean, there are probably folks here that follow many of these alleged rock/rising stars on social media. I find it rather bizarre. The "script" has already been lost in regard to your "genuflecting to a scholarship athlete" remark. NIL, etc. will only expand upon this.

So yeah, living in the world we do today, Benny's remarks are indeed quite distinctive comprehensively, especially considering his 5 star recruit status, etc. and all that that has implied.

Last edited:
That's always a concern with Freshmen the jump from high school to college is always a challenge. Some adjust quicker than others and big men usually take more time. just the body strength from an 18/19 yr old to 21/22 yt old can be huge, throw in playing against bigger and better players than you are used to playing with, the speed of the game and learning new teammates and systems and adjustment can be huge. That is the biggest issue i am concerned with about our five newcomers for next year.

I get it. But we've lost the script when we are genuflecting to a scholarship athlete, who is barely playing and barely contributing, because he's a (checking notes) frosh learning how to play and contribute.

I love that he's a throwback to a player who realizes that it doesn't always happen overnight. Weird that we have to acknowledge someone positively for someone 100% of us had to deal with through our lives. Allow for tough coaching, learn as you go and someday you may be successful in what you do.
"Genuflecting" seems a bit of an overreach. The OP merely commended Benny.

Bennie says he's staying the course but the people in his inner circle might think otherwise with the way he's being handled...jmo
Yup, sounds about right. Benny says he staying but your sister’s hunsband’s boss’s son’s girlfriend who went to high school with Benny says he’s going to transfer? Yup, I’ll agree with that source.

/s

Love this kind of b.s. still waiting on Tucker to transfer btw.

The question is why did this HC not have enough depth for this scenario?

I predicted Benny would play the 3rd most of the forwards. Now I didn’t expect him to struggle this badly but if the kid isn’t ready why did this HC not account for that and have more players who could play forward.

The plan should never be 35+ MPG for players like Swider and Boeheim III.
Instead we have to play those 2 the whole game and sprinkle in Benny just because.
That is it.

I am just sick of the roster management. We need change and we need it after this season.
Have you watched the last 4-5 seasons? That’s about what you can expect from all the starters outside of the centers - 30-35 minutes a game. Nothing new.

Yup, sounds about right. Benny says he staying but your sister’s hunsband’s boss’s son’s girlfriend who went to high school with Benny says he’s going to transfer? Yup, I’ll agree with that source.

/s

Love this kind of b.s. still waiting on Tucker to transfer btw.
Not saying Benny is transferring, but him and Tucker have a little bit different circumstances.

Not saying Benny is transferring, but him and Tucker have a little bit different circumstances.
I’m just pointing out that many on this site seem to have these “sources,” this year especially (considering two poor performances from the revenue generating sports) that appear to directly contradict what the player is saying.

Sounds like a mature take from Benny which is nice...question is what is he supposed to say?

"This is BS. I'm struggling but can't find 10 minutes to sub in for 2 guys who are limited as well. I hate it here and am leaving as soon as I can".

Good response but not sure what the big deal is.

The question is why did this HC not have enough depth for this scenario?
26192936.gif

Benny is going get a lot run during the rest of the season, and will have success. Just not last night. JB must have seen something he didn't like, and wanted to send a message.
I really hope so... not really feeling this message coach is trying to send

I really hope so... not really feeling this message coach is trying to send
I'm guessing he entered the game and immediately did something (or failed to do something) that has been a point of emphasis in practice. It wouldn't be the first time a young player did this.

I'm guessing he entered the game and immediately did something (or failed to do something) that has been a point of emphasis in practice. It wouldn't be the first time a young player did this.
He immediately lost the ball on what could have been a shot attempt and wasn’t seen again

He immediately lost the ball on what could have been a shot attempt and wasn’t seen again
It kills me how some players have tenure to make mistakes and others make 1 mistake and get pulled.
That really teaches the players to be better.
We really needed the starters those last 5 minutes against Pitt.
Couldn’t play the bench. Nope.

It kills me how some players have tenure to make mistakes and others make 1 mistake and get pulled.
That really teaches the players to be better.
We really needed the starters those last 5 minutes against Pitt.
Couldn’t play the bench. Nope.

I posted a similar sentiment in reply to br801's post above, except adding how JB rolls and how he has always rolled relative to abruptly yanking players disproportionately for mistakes, specifically/especially, those whom weren't yet/ever in his favor. In spirit of CuseFannVT's post...it was never to be seen again. :)

In all sincerity, I'm still trying to figure out what's okay and what's off limits nowadays.

Regarding Newhouser's post asking what the big deal of Benny making his statement.

The big deal is that he said it and said it to media. Benny is going to be fine in time.

I said before the season started that his biggest hurdle would be getting used to the speed of the game at the college level. As far as him realizing he has a lot to learn, that in itself is a mature piece of attitude.

I've pointed out before that it's no accident that Benny sits next to JB at every game for the whole game. That's a serious committment on the part of both of them to getting experience from an in game classroom.

I posted a similar sentiment in reply to br801's post above, except adding how JB rolls and how he has always rolled relative to abruptly yanking players disproportionately for mistakes, specifically/especially, those whom weren't yet/ever in his favor. In spirit of CuseFannVT's post...it was never to be seen again. :)

In all sincerity, I'm still trying to figure out what's okay and what's off limits nowadays.
I like Benny a lot, and think he'll eventually be a very good player here, but I also understand how he could get yanked in the first half of a close game and not get reinserted. I'm not sure he would have benefited from five minutes of garbage time once the Pitt game was decided, either. He will get plenty of run the rest of the way this season, and I look forward to watching his development.

I think Benny is a great kid, but I don’t see a great skill set. He isn’t above average in any area of the game, except he has some athleticism. He’s shown very little aggressiveness and he doesn’t attack the basket to score or rebound. He’s been very disappointing. I hope it’s just growing pains and he eventually comes around.

will he?

over/under 10 mins a game, I’m taking the under
I think he'll play that much, provided he contributes something while on the court. He's averaging about 13 mpg now, and considering the numbers, I'd say Boeheim really wants to play the kid.
Screenshot_20220113-213003_Gallery.jpg

I think he'll play that much, provided he contributes something while on the court. He's averaging about 13 mpg now, and considering the numbers, I'd say Boeheim really wants to play the kid.
View attachment 212718
13 mins a game includes the cupcakes. im not seeing it, but will bookmark and take the L if it happens. Didn’t take the L on the Symir mins that were insisted to me though

After the game ended, Benny came back out on the court with a manager just to work on shooting 12-15' jumpers, per Matt Park.

I noticed earlier he was working on his shooting during halftime warmups.

Kid must be in a shooting slump.

After the game ended, Benny came back out on the court with a manager just to work on shooting 12-15' jumpers, per Matt Park.

I noticed earlier he was working on his shooting during halftime warmups.

Kid must be in a shooting slump.
Working on his resume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online