Benny Williams | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Benny Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly wish in this instance people on this board know how hard a situation like this is on the player and the asst coaches (especially his recruiter Red) ... these assistant coaches work their butts off to help kids like Benny on and off the court. All to have the kid be forced to sit on the bench. He’s played 4 mins in the last 80. Think about that! The asst coaches are trying to put him in a spot to succeed and the head coach is not. It’s that simple. The leash is beyond short because he think the Jimmys of the world know the game better and will make less mistakes. It’s not true. Everyone makes mistakes. I feel for Red and Benny on this one. And it’s going to be a big loss when he decides this is not a good fit for him long term
And he has a losing record this season going this way.

I would hate for this to happen, but if we continue losing games and Benny isn't soon given substantial time to prepare for next year, he should start looking into transferring before the season ends. The AD need to step in right now because Coach has lost it. , he lost it awhile ago, hence my name.

Or the third option, he's good enough to get some minutes, but Boeheim has no incentive to play him cuz he'd rather give forward rotation minutes to his son.
It is beyond real to like this post, but that is exactly what is happening!!

Or the third option, he's good enough to get some minutes, but Boeheim has no incentive to play him cuz he'd rather give forward rotation minutes to his son.
I’m good with the 3 guard lineup getting run - especially in certain games.

But Benny should still be in the mix at the one forward spot. Jimmy, Cole, and Joe all play WAY too much. If we capped them all at 20-25, played Jesse 30(Frank - 10), and filled in Buddy, Symir, and Benny from there, we’d have a better record than we do right now. I’m convinced.

I’m good with the 3 guard lineup getting run - especially in certain games.

But Benny should still be in the mix at the one forward spot. Jimmy, Cole, and Joe all play WAY too much. If we capped them all at 20-25, played Jesse 30(Frank - 10), and filled in Buddy, Symir, and Benny from there, we’d have a better record than we do right now. I’m convinced.
What happens to slow players when they get tired? I think some people (coaches) think they get faster.

What happens to slow players when they get tired? I think some people (coaches) think they get faster.
Publicly chastising Jesse’s defense while largely ignoring Jimmy/Joe’s is almost comedic in the absurd “Dumb and Dumber” type of lane. Those are the two worst defenders to play heavy minutes that I’ve ever seen at SU.

Publicly chastising Jesse’s defense while largely ignoring Jimmy/Joe’s is almost comedic in the absurd “Dumb and Dumber” type of lane. Those are the two worst defenders to play heavy minutes that I’ve ever seen at SU.
It’s pretty funny .. cause the stereotype of the coaches kid is that their dad rides them HARDER than the other players because he’s their dad.. not take it easier on them

This situation is a coaching failure no matter how you slice it. Either they wildly miscalculated and recruited one of the few 5 stars who can barely contribute his freshman year, or they’ve buried a kid for “reasons” in favor of others who have dramatically lower upside potential.

How many big time recruit failures can this program endure. It’s been happening with frequency for several years now.
It’s not even just burying the kid on the bench but publicly making statements about the kid about him maybe not being back AFTER the kid says there is no way he’s leaving.

It’s not even just burying the kid on the bench but publicly making statements about the kid about him maybe not being back AFTER the kid says there is no way he’s leaving.
That will either make ya or break ya won't it?

And I’ll add: so what if Benny can’t shoot? The other guys jack all the shots anyway. Scoring isn’t really our problem. We need more athleticism and defense on the floor.

Anyone remember when the 2004 team started winning with defense with more Nichols and TRob late in the year? Their offensive numbers were awful as they were both raw, but they helped us with their size and athletic ability.

Well, this probably won’t be that….but it might help to an extent. We aren’t going anywhere as is. And we need Benny going forward, as a program.

Put it this way…if Benny transfer out and we run this team back again next year, I’m retiring from SU basketball fandom. I’d rather watch SU football at least try to improve
Same. I’d be done until there’s a regime change in that scenario.

I’ve already missed 3 games this year. Not going out of my way for it like I used to.

jb is to stubborn, he would rather keep doing what he is doing. he obviously dumped williams -- he is jims target this year. serously jb should go and we will have to go it w/o him, which in the long run will be much better. he is hurting the program. just keep running the pumps on this titanic, and maybe it won't sink because thats what i always do and i am not in the mood to change. just what i like to hear, from the losing coach. thats right jb its all about you.

James and Buddy don't have any higher levels to get to. Can they get somewhat better, sure but there's no huge undeveloped potential to get. Jesse and obviously Benny have several level higher that they can achieve. They both stand a very good chance to play professional basketball. That is why I believe Boeheim challenges them publicly, Jesse has answered the challenge and I even think he likes it. Benny is giving it his all and I don't think he feels hurt, I think he too is using it to spur on his work and get to where he is capable of as a player. It would be good to interview Roberson and get his reflections of his time with Boeheim. He probably would say he wishes Boeheim was harder on him.

I should be clear… I don’t think most of the recent “failures” are entirely on the player. We seem to have a problem getting highly rated recruits on the court and contributing meaningfully in their first year. It’s very concerning given the current landscape of the game.

What's strange is that it's too easy for critics (not you, I know) to say "the game's changed but stubborn Boeheim hasn't." It's true that's the game is changing, but Boeheim used to be good at this stuff - underclassman used to get minutes. In the last ten years he's given up on that; he's adapting, but in the wrong direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom