Best games SU played in a loss | Syracusefan.com

Best games SU played in a loss

skurey

Living Legend
With UCLA playing probably as well as they could have last night and still losing it made me wonder what games that has happened to Syracuse?

1996 national title game vs Kentucky. Maybe not the best SU could have played, but taking an all-time great team to the brink was a helluva accomplishment. A lot of people thought we’d get run out of the building, but we were right in a position to win until about 2 minutes left (when JW picked up his 5th foul, IIRC).

1996 national title game vs Kentucky. Maybe not the best SU could have played, but taking an all-time great team to the brink was a helluva accomplishment.
That. I’d maybe throw in 1994 to one seed Missouri. Maybe 1989 against Illinois too. Though that was a case of two equally loaded teams just going at it and somebody had to lose.

I didn’t think we would keep this game close. It shouldn’t have been with Duke’s talent.
A couple of breaks we could have won.

The games pre-2003 I always felt while we might have been an underdog the talent gap wasn’t huge.

I didn’t think we would keep this game close. It shouldn’t have been with Duke’s talent.

The games pre-2003 I always felt while we might have been an underdog the talent gap wasn’t huge.
If Marek doesn’t get in foul trouble we might win that one.

That. I’d maybe throw in 1994 to one seed Missouri. Maybe 1989 against Illinois too. Though that was a case of two equally loaded teams just going at it and somebody had to lose.
Yeah, I was going to go with the 96 NC game, then Illinois.

With UCLA playing probably as well as they could have last night and still losing it made me wonder what games that has happened to Syracuse?
Michigan State their title year, 2000? Dominated the first half, too bad they made us play the second half

If our Slovakian doesn't get 2 quick fouls, I think we win.

Edit: Sorry DW, I didn't immediately see your post.

Not best overall game but best half was probably 2000 Sweet 16 vs. Michigan state in Detroit. We got them the second time around in Detroit in 2018 though. Actually don’t think we’ve lost to them since 2000.

Not best overall game but best half was probably 2000 Sweet 16 vs. Michigan state in Detroit. We got them the second time around in Detroit in 2018 though. Actually don’t think we’ve lost to them since 2000.
Correct.

11/21/2001
N
Tom Izzo
W
69-58
Williams, Duany, Forth, Warrick, ShumpertDuany 24 pts
2/23/2003
@
Tom Izzo
W
76-75
McNamara, Duany, Forth, Warrick, AnthonyAnthony 25 pts
1/3/2004
H
Tom Izzo
W
96-83
Edelin, McNamara, Warrick, Pace, ForthPace & Edelin 22 pts
12/7/2010
N
Tom Izzo
W
72-58
Jardine, Triche, Melo, Jackson, JosephJardine 19 pts, Jackson 16 reb
3/18/2018
NCAA
Tom Izzo
W
55-53
Howard, Battle, Chukwu, Dolezaj, BrissettBattle 17 pts

h/t orangehoops.org

I must be remembering that Dook game wrong. Never thought we had a shot. Didn't they shoot like 8% from 3?

definitely the title game in 1987, for 39 minutes plus both teams played about as sound and solid a game as you could ever see. the last minute? well, one team didn't play so well.

86 Big East Title against St John's. Pearl won MVP even though they lost. Played really well and led most of the game.

Good call on that Missouri game.

Yeah, I'd add Duke in 1998 well. Sometimes they just execute well and lose to the better group of players.

Since I started following the team:
12/28/65 SU 98 Vanderbilt 113 in the Bruin Classic despite Dave Bung's 46 points.
12/29/66 SU 71 #2 Louisville 75 in Quaker City Classic. I cried myself to sleep.
2/21/67 SU 64 St. John's 71 19-2 vs. 18-3 and we led until Sonny Dove slammed in a couple follow shots in the final minute, sending pigeons flying around the Dome.
3/20/72 SU 65 Maryland 71 in the NIT. Our front line averaged 6-3, theirs: 6-10. I still remember Bob Costas on WAER shouting "Come on Bobby, (Dooms), Make a Good pass!"
3/31/75 SU 88 Louisville 96 (OT) National consolation game. We were a regional power but couldn't beat Maryland or Louisville, both of whom were national powers and who beat us several times each in the early 70's. Jimmy lee's jumper at the regulation buzzer rolled around and around and around and out.
3/3/79 SU 58 George Town 66 A little used reserved name Jeff Bullis gets sent into the game with a free throw percentage of 29%. We'll just foul him every time they get the ball and he'll miss and we'll come back to win. He makes 13 of 15.
2/12/80 SU 50 Georgetown 52 The last game at Manley. We are ranked #2 and hold the Hoyas to 16 points in the first half. they catch us in the final minute and John Thompson declares Manley closed.
3/25/81 SU 84 Tulsa 86 OT. We pull out to about a 7 point lead midway through the second half. Nolan Richardson calls a time out and doesn't spend it with his team. he spends it with the refs, who call 18 of the last 19 fouls on SU and fouls out our starting line-up except Eric Santifer, who gets a career high 29 points to send it into overtime.
3/10/84 SU 71 National Champions Georgetown 82 (OT) "Michael Graham hit my player!" but no flagrant foul.
3/8/85 SU 69 St. John's 70 BET final. the pearl takes it the distance only to get roofed by Walter Berry.
3/30/87 SU 73 Indiana 74. What if they'd had the rule that the clock stops with a made basket in the final minute? Smart's shot went through with 4 seconds left. Juzang made his with 3.3. They say our game was one of the reasons they passed that rule.
1/24/88 SU 69 Georgetown 71 Sherman Douglas hits what see3med like the winning shot against the Hoyas but Charlie Smith hits one at the buzzer and Mike Lupica falls in love with him.
3/26/89 SU 86 Illinois 89 Our most talented team goes down as Illinois puts it away with of all things, alley oops.
3/24/94 SU 88 MIssouri 98 (OT) despite Adrian Autry's 30 point second half.
3/19/95 SU 94 Arkansas 96 (OT) Frustrating defeat #1A. the celebration had begun when Moten called the time out we didn't have. Also the third straight OT exit from the NCAAs.
4/1/96 SU 67 Kentucky 76. We final won an OT NCAA game, (Georgia) and were within 5 points with about a minute left in this game against a team with 9 guys who played pro ball when John Wallace fouled out trying to retrieve the only bad pass Lazarus Sims made all year.
3/23/00 SU 58 National Champion Michigan State 75 We had the Spartans on the ropes. it turned out we were Billy Conn: they were Joe Louis.
3/14/09 SU 66 Louisville 76 The day after, (actually of) the 6 overtime game we beat West Virginia 74-69 in overtime. the day after that we led Louisville at halftime and another miracle BET win seemed imminent. But Pitino put on the defensive pressure and we finally sagged at the end.
3/25/10 SU 59 Butler 63 We win that with Arinze, IMO and i think we win it all. because Butler almost did.
3/24/12 SU 70 Ohio State 77 We win that with either Melo or a fair shake form the refs.
4/6/13 SU 56 Michigan 61. We averaged giving up 50 points a game in the tournament until we relaxed on defense and gave up 36 in the first half. WE got going again and gave up 25 in the second half and might have won except for some more strange officiating at the end. .
2/22/14 SU 60 Duke 66 The jacket game.
3/23/18 SU 65 Duke 69 if Marek doesn't get in foul trouble, we win this one.
3/11/21 SU 69 Virginia 72 As with UCLA, a buzzer shot doesn't devalue what you achieved before that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom