best movie of the decade? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

best movie of the decade?

Going to split this up into several categories (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some):

Best Animated Movies:
  1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - The artistic style by itself is just remarkable and a serious feat for any movie. Couple that with a great story and cast and you have an awesome movie.
  2. Coco - I found the "reveal" towards the end to be predictable, and yet it was so well-done that the last 30ish minutes of this movie were maybe the best 30 minutes of an animated movie I've seen in awhile.
  3. Zootopia - The chemistry between Goodwin and Bateman, along with the message being perfect at this point in time, made this a great animated movie.
  4. Moana - Probably my favorite soundtrack of any Disney movie. The movie itself is good, but pales in comparison to the top 3 IMO.
Most Fun:
  1. John Wick - You can give me any of the John Wick movies and I'll accept your answer. The choreography of the fight scenes is amazing and the world they created (especially in the first movie) is awesome to watch. The way they used color in the first movie was especially cool.
  2. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
  3. Black Panther - This was my favorite movie of the Marvel Universe (not counting Into the Spider-Verse) of the past decade. Michael B. Jordan, the soundtrack, and the world they created for this movie put it above the rest IMO. Could argue for Endgame (mainly because it was just a really well-done ending) and Guardians of the Galaxy as well.
  4. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - Maybe my biggest pleasant surprise of the decade. I went into it with very low expectations but this was actually a very entertaining and pretty funny movie. Kevin Hart, The Rock, and Jack Black were all awesome.
Best Movies:
  1. Get Out - Pretty much a masterpiece IMO. More creepy than horror, but it makes you think and gives you some tremendous directing and acting.
  3. The Social Network - Arguably Fincher's best movie, and I think this is #1 or #2 on most of the media's lists.
  4. Inception - From the visuals to the acting to the What, this movie is one of my favorite Christopher Nolan movies.

Some Random Shoutouts:
  • Dolemite Is My Name - I thought this would just be a fun move to watch but this was seriously so good. Easily my favorite Netflix movie to come out so far.
  • Edge of Tomorrow - Sometimes you just need a fun action movie. The Mission Impossible movies continue to be good, but Edge of Tomorrow was great.
  • Looper - Worth watching just to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt acting as a young Bruce Willis.

Movies I loved in no particular order:

Sicario
Zero Dark Thirty
Phantom Thread
Ex Machina
Lady Bird
American Honey
Booksmart
Dunkirk
Fury Road
Short Term 12
A Star is Born
Get Out

Do the people that put The Tree of Life on lists like this just try to be cool? I STRUGGLE with Terrence Malick movies but that one was wildly difficult.

Going to split this up into several categories (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some):

Best Animated Movies:
  1. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - The artistic style by itself is just remarkable and a serious feat for any movie. Couple that with a great story and cast and you have an awesome movie.
  2. Coco - I found the "reveal" towards the end to be predictable, and yet it was so well-done that the last 30ish minutes of this movie were maybe the best 30 minutes of an animated movie I've seen in awhile.
  3. Zootopia - The chemistry between Goodwin and Bateman, along with the message being perfect at this point in time, made this a great animated movie.
  4. Moana - Probably my favorite soundtrack of any Disney movie. The movie itself is good, but pales in comparison to the top 3 IMO.
Most Fun:
  1. John Wick - You can give me any of the John Wick movies and I'll accept your answer. The choreography of the fight scenes is amazing and the world they created (especially in the first movie) is awesome to watch. The way they used color in the first movie was especially cool.
  3. Black Panther - This was my favorite movie of the Marvel Universe (not counting Into the Spider-Verse) of the past decade. Michael B. Jordan, the soundtrack, and the world they created for this movie put it above the rest IMO. Could argue for Endgame (mainly because it was just a really well-done ending) and Guardians of the Galaxy as well.
  4. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - Maybe my biggest pleasant surprise of the decade. I went into it with very low expectations but this was actually a very entertaining and pretty funny movie. Kevin Hart, The Rock, and Jack Black were all awesome.
Best Movies:
  1. Get Out - Pretty much a masterpiece IMO. More creepy than horror, but it makes you think and gives you some tremendous directing and acting.
  3. The Social Network - Arguably Fincher's best movie, and I think this is #1 or #2 on most of the media's lists.
  4. Inception - From the visuals to the acting to the What, this movie is one of my favorite Christopher Nolan movies.

Some Random Shoutouts:
  • Dolemite Is My Name - I thought this would just be a fun move to watch but this was seriously so good. Easily my favorite Netflix movie to come out so far.
  • Edge of Tomorrow - Sometimes you just need a fun action movie. The Mission Impossible movies continue to be good, but Edge of Tomorrow was great.
  • Looper - Worth watching just to see Joseph Gordon-Levitt acting as a young Bruce Willis.
Solid lists. I’m going to go ahead and argue that Se7en is Fincher’s best. It’s on my top five list of all-time.

Solid lists. I’m going to go ahead and argue that Se7en is Fincher’s best. It’s on my top five list of all-time.

Yeah, to be clear, Social Network isn’t my personal favorite of his but I think most people have it in the conversation. Se7en and Fight Club are both amazing.

Just realized I never submitted my top ten:

1. Inception
2. The Wolf of Wall Street
3. The Way Way Back
4. The Martian
5. Spotlight
6. Guardians of the Galaxy
7. Moonrise Kingdom
8. The Big Short
9. Zootopia
10. Get Out

written by jim rash & nat faxon . . . and imho far superior to their academy award winning "the descendants"
WAY WAY BACK .
just watched it for the first time monday based on the recommendations here. the wife loved it ! fantastic film.
saw it on dvd and recommend watch "the making of " extra. didn't realize til after those guys were the directors.

WAY WAY BACK .
just watched it for the first time monday based on the recommendations here. the wife loved it ! fantastic film.
saw it on dvd and recommend watch "the making of " extra. didn't realize til after those guys were the directors.
How dare you put me in a position where I have to like one of your posts.

Just kidding. Glad you enjoyed it.

I'd put 'Life of Pi', 'Gravity', 'Manchester by the Sea', 'The Shape of Water' and '1917' at the top of the list. If I have to chose among them, I think I'd go with 'Gravity'.

i'll add bone tomahawk, the decades best western & one of the 5 best horror films

Dont understand the Get out love.. I know its high on a lot of lists

Really wanted to turn it off half way is was so bad

it felt like a SNL skit strecthed to 90 min.

Just saw Get Out. Amazing movie, wish I didn’t know the plot going in. Rod is a HOFer.

Maybe my all-time favorite movie theater experience. Rod literally got people standing up and screaming at the screen like "Yeah, get em Rod!" and "Let's ing go!!" at the end lol

I'll be honest, it's an okay film, it truly is, but that's about it. I feel like every once in a bit a "horror film" gets enough early buzz, in spite of being fairly banal, that it hits legitimate film critics radar.

Usually some star is attached to give it enough legitimacy to get over the "horror" hurdle.

The critics actually watch it, they go bananas because nobody has a machete and that's just sooooo clever in a horror film, and the public follows because...well, it's cool to say they like a horror film. "I don't normally like scary movies!!! This one is sooo scary and smart though!" You HAVE to call it smart.

Even if it's kinda just okay overall as a film and insanely predictable and a bit boring.

Last edited:

Terrible movie. Just dumb

I'll be honest, it's an okay film, it truly is, but that's about it. I feel like every once in a bit a "horror film" gets enough early buzz, in spite of being fairly banal, that it hits legitimate film critics radar.

Usually some star is attached to give it enough legitimacy to get over the "horror" hurdle.

The critics actually watch it, they go bananas because nobody has a machete and that's just sooooo clever in a horror film, and the public follows because...well, it's cool to say they like a horror film. "I don't normally like scary movies!!! This one is sooo scary and smart though!" You HAVE to call it smart.

Even if it's kinda just okay overall as a film and insanely predictable and a bit boring.
And usually some contrarian will be there with a H0t Take, acting like the film is beneath them and the people who like it are sheep. They HAVE to be that guy.

And usually some contrarian will be there with a H0t Take, acting like the film is beneath them and the people who like it are sheep. They HAVE to be that guy.

It's not a really hot take at all - pretty normal take on horror films that catch a wide audience. I thought it was okay, as I said, not beneath me at all, just not a top movie of the decade for all sorts of reasons.

Why always so bitter? You seem like such a sad sorta person. :( I'd buy you an ice cream cake if I could - maybe even a Fudgie the Whale!!!

It's not a really hot take at all - pretty normal take on horror films that catch a wide audience. I thought it was okay, as I said, not beneath me at all, just not a top movie of the decade for all sorts of reasons.

Why always so bitter? You seem like such a sad sorta person. :( I'd buy you an ice cream cake if I could - maybe even a Fudgie the Whale!!!
Why so passive aggressive?

People are going to have differing opinions when it comes to movies. You can accept it without acting like it’s due to some personality flaw.

Eh, I also like Saw/ Friday the Thirteenth so it’s not like I just go for the more “cerebral” horror movies.

Eh, I also like Saw/ Friday the Thirteenth so it’s not like I just go for the more “cerebral” horror movies.

Which Friday the 13th? :)

It's a general critique, pretty common for people involving Sci-Fi, Horror, Comedy films...it's not a blanket, "this applies to everyone that likes it," statement. There are plenty of movies you probably hate on my list and have great reasons why nobody should include it! :)

I just happen to like horror films - in spite of it being a fairly abysmal genre most of the time!

Which Friday the 13th? :)

It's a general critique, pretty common for people involving Sci-Fi, Horror, Comedy films...it's not a blanket, "this applies to everyone that likes it," statement. There are plenty of movies you probably hate on my list and have great reasons why nobody should include it! :)

I just happen to like horror films - in spite of it being a fairly abysmal genre most of the time!

"Abysmal genre."

Hahahaha man your takes are the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom