Best QBs to Play in Dome | Syracusefan.com

Best QBs to Play in Dome

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
Was listening to Mel Kiper this morning on ESPN Radio.

He talked about what a steal Teddy Bridgewater was for the Vikings.

I recalled at that moment how impressed I was when Teddy played Marrone's last team in the Dome in 2012. I recalled thinking at the time that he was the best I had ever seen play the position in the Dome.

And then I got to thinking how many great QBs we've seen play the Orange on the Hill.

Who had the best performance in the Dome?

Dan Marino, Teddy, Gino Torretta, Shane Matthews, Michael Vick, Jameis Winston, Doug Flutie, Tony Eason, Taj Boyd, Marc Bulger, Alex Van Pelt, Juice Williams?

Who am I forgetting?

Tony Eason may not be the best on that list, but he just carved us up with short and mid-range passes. We were helpless against him.

Was listening to Mel Kiper this morning on ESPN Radio.

He talked about what a steal Teddy Bridgewater was for the Vikings.

I recalled at that moment how impressed I was when Teddy played Marrone's last team in the Dome in 2012. I recalled thinking at the time that he was the best I had ever seen play the position in the Dome.

And then I got to thinking how many great QBs we've seen play the Orange on the Hill.

Who had the best performance in the Dome?

Dan Marino, Teddy, Gino Torretta, Shane Matthews, Michael Vick, Jameis Winston, Doug Flutie, Tony Eason, Taj Boyd, Marc Bulger, Alex Van Pelt, Juice Williams?

Who am I forgetting?
I was more afraid of what Major Harris could do than any other QB.
(I am not counting any SU QBs in my assessment)

Last edited:
Michael Vick was the most dynamic I had seen. I know Freeney killed him, but, there was nothing like him prior to his arrival. Changed the game.

I enjoyed Bridgewater, Bulger, Juice, Mathews, Harris, Torretta, Van Pelt, Boyd and Winston, among others.

Tee Martin was great in college. Tom Brady in 1999 even though it was split snaps, does he count because he was average in college?

To this day though, McNabb was my favorite player, Vick was my favorite to watch.

Vick was sacked 7 times that game and, if I remember correctly, DF was credited with 4.5 . I still remember the play where Freeney ruptured his spleen sacking Vick.

Unfortunately, Vick had the last laugh scrambling to his left down the side line for the winning TD. Even though we lost, it was a great game to witness in person...great atmosphere.

Jeff Blake in 91 for an opposing player. McNabbs four years for a SU player.

Last edited:
Reactions: CIL
The much maligned Tom Savage 2 years ago. He took more shots in that game than most QBs do in a year and was a bigger reason than Aaron Donald for their win that day.

Michael Vick was the most dynamic I had seen. I know Freeney killed him, but, there was nothing like him prior to his arrival. Changed the game.

I enjoyed Bridgewater, Bulger, Juice, Mathews, Harris, Torretta, Van Pelt, Boyd and Winston, among others.

Tee Martin was great in college. Tom Brady in 1999 even though it was split snaps, does he count because he was average in college?

To this day though, McNabb was my favorite player, Vick was my favorite to watch.

Did Brady play us in the Dome that year?

The game we should have won but lost with the ball at the end?

Did Brady play us in the Dome that year?

The game we should have won but lost with the ball at the end?
yep. As I recall, they pulled him and put Drew Henson in. Two years in a row they had to do that.

How about one John Robertson of the Villanova Wildcats who threw for 199 yards and ran for an additional 115 ? Oh Lord Kid was really awesome that depressing night.

He went on to throw for 2,846 yards with 35 TD's and only 3 ints for a pass . rating of 181.3. He also rushed for 1.078 yards for an additional 11 TD's in 2014. He was awarded with the Walter Payton Award; the Heisman of the FCS.

How about one John Robertson of the Villanova Wildcats who threw for 199 yards and ran for an additional 115 ? Oh Lord Kid was really awesome that depressing night.

He went on to throw for 2,846 yards with 35 TD's and only 3 ints for a pass . rating of 181.3. He also rushed for 1.078 yards for an additional 11 TD's in 2014. He was awarded with the Walter Payton Award; the Heisman of the FCS.

He put up 10 points in 60 minutes and sat on the ball.

yep. As I recall, they pulled him and put Drew Henson in. Two years in a row they had to do that.

Wow.

I forgot about that.

That loss still hurts - the Nunes safety in particular.

Ugh.

oliver luck went crazy in 81
shawn halloran in 82 for 453
shane mathems in 91
jeff blake in 91
torretta in 92
glenn foley in 93 for 423
crandell in 95 for 392
brian randell in 02
dan orlowsky in 04 for 445
ben mauk in 07 for 431

and then the NW kids, boyd and bridgrwater the last couple of nears

That game made clear what was in store for 2014.

The Cats' QB was magnificent.

Based on this game I believe DM was the best college quarterback to ever play in the dome.

I thought glen foley would be the next Marino after destroying us. Based on performances against us, I thought foley would be hall of fame and bulger from wvu would stink. Hill from Tulane is still chucking completions to jajuan Dawson, I think. Thank god for tebucky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom