Better season.. Cuse or UVA | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Better season.. Cuse or UVA

at first I thought this was a ridiculous question. They won the ACC regular season in a walk. But, the shame of losing to a #16 will NEVER go away. I mean NEVER.
True, the rest of the season becomes a footnote.

Give UMBC some credit. They destroyed them. Their sixth man is not winning them that game.
I don't know... this game "could" have been partially lost before tip.

Mental preparation is half the battle.

No excuse in losing to a 16 seed but I honestly don't think they lose with Hunter and all that brought swirling around the program.

Honestly, I might rather have BC's season than UVAs. This will be the upset people compare upsets to. It will be mentioned in every NCAA tournament until the end of time and they'll have to relive it over and over every year. Even looking at an ACC title banner will remind them of it.

I'd rather go .500 and play in the NIT than be the first #1 seed to lose this. Nobody will care about a .500 season after 1-2 years. This will last decades. Every single conversation about the tournament for the next 25+ years will include "UMBC-defeated #1 overall Virginia..."

IMG_1438.JPG

From the perspective of the greedy ACC Headquarters down in Greensboro they reluctantly will have to say Syracuse. Once again Syracuse will add more to the coffers by advancing in the tournament yet the bias against the Orange boarders on delusional.

This was a program-altering loss, IMO.
Nothing short of a NC will temper the narrative and that won't be easy, because UMBC will be bought up in every game UVA plays from here to eternity. I love Bennett as a HC, and have no quarrel with UVA or their fans, but...this one's gonna hurt.

Last edited:
To be the overall 1 and get throttled by a 16 is a complete failure of a season. The 31 wins, acct title. No one will remember that stuff.

A 16 might not win again for a long long time.

As a fan it would be similar to losing 4 straight super bowls. You’ll never live it down.

To be the overall 1 and get throttled by a 16 is a complete failure of a season. The 31 wins, acct title. No one will remember that stuff.

A 16 might not win again for a long long time.

As a fan it would be similar to losing 4 straight super bowls. You’ll never live it down.
I think it is worse than losing four straight super bowls. 135 games before this and almost none of them were close.

We have to start having some regular season success for narrative purposes but at the end of the day, all that matters is the tourney and UVA needs to bounce back next year and actually do something or these past few years might be their high water mark in hoops.

How do you think our 2-3 zone did tonight? Any tweaks from you?

How do you think our 2-3 zone did tonight? Any tweaks from you?
Nope. They played it exactly how I'd play it.

Aggressively defended the 3.

Allowed uncomfortable mid-range jumpers all game.

Even did a good job not getting sucked in by penetration and forced guards to try to score inside without any kickout lanes.

Nope. They played it exactly how I'd play it. Even did a good job not getting sucked in by penetration and forcing smaller guards to try to score inside without any kickout lanes.

Oh good. So Jim Boeheim knows what he’s doing? Just shut down two of the best offenses in the nation. Stop your complaining.

and this is not solely directed at you...but all the knee-jerk posters that want to switch to man to man whenever we get lit up from 3.

Last edited:
Not gonna be remembered as the team that won the ACC, you are gonna be remembered as the first team to lose to a 16...our season by a mile

You seem really upset. I think you should take your own advice.

Quite the contrary. Pretty happy. What am i complaining about exactly?

seems weird to complain about a Top 10 defense, especially when they have been DOMINANT..

Last edited:
I truly feel a little bad for them. They lost a key player going in.

#16 upset #1 almost happened twice in the 1989 tournament, Georgetown beat Princeton 50-49, Oklahoma beat East Tennessee State 72-71, so it's not THAT unlikely to happen; what's really crazy is the way they did it, the very worst team (per kenpom) took the very best team to the woodshed.

I was actually talking about a 16 seed beating a 1 seed at work a few days ago with a Virginia fan that commented on my war Otto desktop. I told her that a 16 was going to beat a 1 some day, but that I wasn't saying that it would be Virginia. Might be an awkward encounter the next time I see her...

As far as this season, I don't think people realize just how crazy of a job Boeheim has done during these sanctions. Besides our post season ban, to make a final four run two years ago and to win 2 tournament games (despite being one of the first 4) thus far this year is remarkable considering the team we just beat hasn't even been in the tourney in 20 years. Additionally, his ability to adjust this team to playing the grind it out, defensive style of team because of our offensive woes is impressive. We're lucky to have him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom