Better season.. Cuse or UVA | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Better season.. Cuse or UVA

This is of the Miracle on Ice magnitude, Jets-Colts too. There will be documentaries on this, these players lives will be changed forever because of the St. Patty's Eve Miracle of '18.
Yup. On SportsCenter they specifically talked about how these players lives will be forever changed.

In 10 years, when Kyle Guy goes somewhere, people (even random people who don't follow CBB but watch the tournament) will say "Hey, you're that guy from that team".. And it's unfair, but this is something that will follow those kids for the rest of their lives.

Yup. On SportsCenter they specifically talked about how these players lives will be forever changed.

In 10 years, when Kyle Guy goes somewhere, people (even random people who don't follow CBB but watch the tournament) will say "Hey, you're that guy from that team".. And it's unfair, but this is something that will follow those kids for the rest of their lives.

It may be unfair but that is how life works. As some posters know, I am an avid cyclist and fan of pro cycling. It was a cruel twist of irony that Frenchman Laurent Fignon lost the 1989 Tour de France to American Greg LeMond by 8 seconds (after a 2,000 plus mile race) on a final day individual time trial. For the rest of his life people asked Fignon: Aren't you the guy who lost the TdF by 8 seconds? Fignon's reply: I am the guy who won it twice (which he had done in 1982 and 1984).

Multiple Tour wins put the Frenchman in elite company among pro cyclist. However, people only remembered his epic 1989 loss.

The same will be true for the UVA players. This is an unfortunate side of human nature.

Last edited:
There's a thread on their board entitled "Worst loss in the history of the world" and as a fan of CBB/CFB/NFL/NBA...I literally cannot think of a reason why that incredibly dramatic statement (in a sports context) is not true.

I hate that about sports, how certain people like Norwood or Buckner become synonymous with failure even though they had otherwise solid careers.

To go 17-1 in the ACC is an unbelievable accomplishment, and its a shame no one will really remember it.

We will all remember where we were when it happened. The best thing is that Cuse was playing simultaneously and winning a huge game. Thank God Cuse won Weds in the play-in. If we lost, I tune out the parts of the tourney out of disappointment and probably would have been watching Netflix with my wife and would have missed this epic. As it was, I was at a BWW watching both games at once on the big screens.

Already had that when we lost to Chaminade in the 80s. Only difference is nobody saw it on tv.

And, Gore hadn't invented that thing we know today as the internet. ;) Then there's the social media world of today as well making the nightmare exponentially worse in that regard...

Yeah Cuse is still playing as an 11 seed. Gimme that over a 1 seed that got smoked by 20 to a 16 seed. No comparison.
Regular season is meaningless

I'm not one who thinks the regular seasons meaningless, but this is such a historic failure of preparation, coaching and execution...I'll take our 13 loss R32 season.

The regular season is not *meaningless*. Only about 20% of D1 teams make the Tournament, so in that respect it’s pretty damn meaningful.

Now with that being said, you can argue that the regular season is not particularly *memorable*. And that is because ultimately it is overshadowed by results in the Tourney.

2016 and now 2018 were reallllly frustrating regular seasons. And they were meaningful in the sense that we needed each and every win to Dance. But we’re always going to remember how well we did in the Tourney. Same goes for 2005, but in reverse.

So as for this question, I’d rather be us than UVA. No matter what happens tomorrow I’m going to look upon this year fondly as a team that by all rights should have never been close to making the Tourney. Yet through grit and determination they snuck in and gave us a fun ride. UVA fans are going to be sick about this season...forever.

Doesn't matter. The regular season is meaningless, provided you get the chance to compete for the national title. And if they ever expand to 96 teams or whatever, it would be even worse.

Worse than meaningless?

Because the better the regular season, the better you’re seeded in the tournament.

Then it's not meaningless. (Not that that's the only source of meaning.)

Call me weird, but I like winning league titles and tournaments and winning 90% of our games. That's usually better than, you know, not coming close to doing any of those things.

Strange thread.

Call me weird, but I like winning league titles and tournaments and winning 90% of our games. That's usually better than, you know, not coming close to doing any of those things.

Strange thread.

you seem to be leaving off an important part of the equation. the part where after you do those things you have a historic collapse against a sixteen seed in your first game in the tournament.

you seem to be leaving off an important part of the equation. the part where after you do those things you have a historic collapse against a sixteen seed in your first game in the tournament.

Having the season end early is part of the equation, for sure. SU's got to get out of the weekend for there to be a significant difference here, we'll see.

That overshadows the rest of their season but it doesn't erase it.

I'm surprised this is really even an argument.

This loss doesn't make the regular season irrelevant, it just over shadows it by about a million miles.

Their season was great. But this loss is epic. Honestly, we don't even know how this loss will live on. We know it will be huge but who knows all the random times it will pop up.

I would hate to have to live with this if it was su. Really hate it. Every time a UVA fan wears UVA gear they are going to hear about it. Forget about wearing UVA gear in Baltimore. That ream of sh$t they will take will literally never end.

Read this oral history of the Harvard Stanford women's 1-16 upset. Multiply the impacts on these women times about a million.

Oral history: Harvard stuns Stanford

Honestly the only team where this become a tough choice is this years Pitt team.

On the other hand, a winless ACC season is only going to be remembered by fans of ACC teams. Uva’s loss not only will be brought up every March madness until the end of time, it’s going to be brought up as one of the great upsets in all of sports.
Of all the other great upsets mentioned over the last 24 hours, the one I keep going back to is Buster Douglas. Every other upset was close, but Douglas delivered a beat down. That’s what UMBC did last night.

Princeton and Albany could have become the first and people would have been able to pinpoint a few mistakes by Georgetown and UConn that cost them those games. But UVA had no chance. That’s what makes it such a rare treat. Even if another #16 pulls it off someday, I doubt it will be in this fashion.

I would hate to be a UVA today and going forward.

Of all the other great upsets mentioned over the last 24 hours, the one I keep going back to is Buster Douglas. Every other upset was close, but Douglas delivered a beat down. That’s what UMBC did last night.

Princeton and Albany could have become the first and people would have been able to pinpoint a few mistakes by Georgetown and UConn that cost them those games. But UVA had no chance. That’s what makes it such a rare treat. Even if another #16 pulls it off someday, I doubt it will be in this fashion.

I would hate to be a UVA today and going forward.

Exactly THIS.

We've lost in crazy upsets, but it was usually a ridiculous, last second 3 or whatever.

The Retrievers just took the Hoos to the woodshed, and didn't let up until the final horn sounded.
You'd assume that UVA would claw their way back into at some point, only for UMBC to answer, and then pull away further.

Other than lacking the dunking fireworks, it was a lot like what FGCU did to the Hoyas, to our collective shock, awe, and delight!

No one will care what UVA does in regular season anymore thats for sure. A loss like that will have an impact on them for a long time, till they finally do something in the ncaa tourney.
Exactly. Duke has had regular seasons like that before. No one remembers. They remember the titles.

Having the season end early is part of the equation, for sure. SU's got to get out of the weekend for there to be a significant difference here, we'll see.
Playing Sunday vs. watching at home is a significant difference.

Already had that when we lost to Chaminade in the 80s. Only difference is nobody saw it on tv.
I think the chaminade loss is going to be a footnote now hoos. Btw kudos for coming on today I think I would avoid the internet for a month if this happened to us.

These losses did in JT3 & will eventually do the same for Bennett if he hits a 2-3 year rough patch.

I have a hard time calling this the biggest upset of all time because the stakes weren’t large enough.

Obviously it’s historic.

To me to be in contention for biggest upset there has to be more on the line than just a first round NCAA game. Buster Douglas won the heavyweight title from the baddest man on the planet. The US men’s hockey team took down an absolute machine.

This is up there. An all-timer for sure. But I just can’t say it’s the biggest ever. It’s one spot from a 2 beating a 15, and that’s happened several times.

UVA had 4 solid months to bask in success. all but a few have 2 weeks tops.this loss stings ( and yes will be talked about for years to come) but they still had a great season. they just happened to step in poop after paying for a tremendous shine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom