Better without Southerland? | Syracusefan.com

Better without Southerland?

Outside of games against non-NCAA tourney teams which we seem to have control over:

Without Southerland we beat: Cincy, Nova, ND, and @Lville.

With Southerland we lost: @Uconn, G-Town, Lville, and @Marquette

I agree the second set group is more challenging, but still, I think this team stand around and watches Southerland too much. Grant was much more engaged when playing more minutes, hasn't been the same since ND game. He attacked the hoop and could really rebound. Southerland doesn't do either, we're all perimeter oriented now.

With Grant, a freshman btw, we have better interior defense and a better mid range offensive game. THe only thing JS brings is a jump shot. And he's only effective when wide open...and he can't rebound or play defense.

Guess you can infer my position.

also since southerland came back we have gotten less from jerami than we got before southerland was suspended.

Outside of games against non-NCAA tourney teams which we seem to have control over:

I agree the second set group is more challenging, but still, I think this team stand around and watches Southerland too much. Grant was much more engaged when playing more minutes, hasn't been the same since ND game. He attacked the hoop and could really rebound. Southerland doesn't do either, we're all perimeter oriented now.
At the very least JS should've been worked into the lineup very very sparingly. The team had developed an emotional identity without him. Young Grant, in particular, was playing with confidence all over the floor. If his mind doesn't get screwed with too badly over this, he'll be an SU all time great.

The team is obviously confused at the moment & veteran players are questioning their purpose. I typically side with JB, but even my wife, who only follows this thing from afar, could not believe how he was seemingly allowed to just show up like nothing had happened. Can't send the best message to the other players, can it?

This is one case of bad coaching... JB should have realized that Grant could be an asset for him. So when James came back we should have been a better team than when he left because of Grant's emergence. But JB's quick hook has turned Grant back into the squad player he was before.

It looks like Cooney and Grant are playing really scared because they know one mistake and they are out.

Also seems JB has forgotten he has a bench to use since JS came back, especially in second half.

So when Triche plays terrible it JS fault! Triche was great in the first game vs Louisville and horrible today! When our guards play well and shoot well we win and when they don't we lose!

Pitino did a good job working the refs with a couple of minutes left. We didn't get a single call after he went nuts.
Risky move. I thought they could have given him a technical.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Risky move. I thought they could have given him a technical.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
No. They should have given him a T. Probably would have if the two charges weren't such awful calls. Of course they got away with a real charge right after.

Southerland hit wide open shots he should. But his defense SUCKED. He turned he ball over twice late and he can't rebound. We need to play Jerami too...JS is a one dimensional player. Period...

James played reasonably well today. 13 points on 5-12 shooting, 3-5 from 3, 7 rebounds, 2 assists. Hits 2 big 3's to get a late lead and our guards never get him the ball again in the last few minutes. Instead they jack up missed shots. The loss today is mostly on the poor play of Triche.

So when Triche plays terrible it JS fault! Triche was great in the first game vs Louisville and horrible today! When our guards play well and shoot well we win and when they don't we lose!
Come on bro. It has less to do with Triche & more to do with a complete emotional collapse. It doesn't happen often to this program, but when it does it's pretty obvious. They've been so playing under their abilities the last several games, it's like watching the cow get sacrificed in Apocalypse Now.

Come on bro. It has less to do with Triche & more to do with a complete emotional collapse. It doesn't happen often to this program, but when it does it's pretty obvious. They've been so playing under their abilities the last several games, it's like watching the cow get sacrificed in Apocalypse Now.

emotional collapse????...dude man up! It's basketball not life and death! These guys have been playing ball their whole lives...

With Grant, a freshman btw, we have better interior defense and a better mid range offensive game. THe only thing JS brings is a jump shot. And he's only effective when wide open...and he can't rebound or play defense.

Guess you can infer my position.
7 rebounds for JS, 1 more than the centers combined. Just saying.

I always thought he was fools gold, and it breaks my heart to say that considering his hometown.

This team stands around way too much with him on the floor, and he's a notch below a knockdown guy.

This topic is a joke. Southerland at this point can literally win us games by himself. I love Grant and his potential, but right now it's not even close as to who I'd rather have out there.

The last thing we have to worry about is Fair/Southerland/Grant. Our guards are the real issue (mainly Triche).

This topic is a joke. Southerland at this point can literally win us games by himself. I love Grant and his potential, but right now it's not even close as to who I'd rather have out there.

The last thing we have to worry about is Fair/Southerland/Grant. Our guards are the real issue (mainly Triche).

Fair enough...while I disagree with the hyperbole, I agree that the guards are definitely our weak link.

I always thought he was fools gold, and it breaks my heart to say that considering his hometown.

This team stands around way too much with him on the floor, and he's a notch below a knockdown guy.

Even if this is true and it's not...that is a couching issue not a player issue! Our guards are the issue followed by our center!

Fair enough...while I disagree with the hyperbole, I agree that the guards are definitely our weak link.

Triche for whatever reason has been playing worse since James came back. Again, these guys stand around too much and wait for a 3 that isn't coming to bail them out, then they force the action and turn it over. Our floor flow stinks.

Grant is not scoring because other teams are aware of him now. Has nothing to do with Southerland. The f..ing floor is opened up with
him in the game. Put the blame where it belongs.
No offensive production from Rak and Baye and they are not setting good screens either and we only have two guys who can shoot.

It would have been fine if Jim would
Actually stop being stubborn and split time or give cj a couple minute break here and there. JB managed to break down every ounce of confidence grant had gained . It's a shame

But JB's quick hook has turned Grant back into the squad player he was before.

It looks like Cooney and Grant are playing really scared because they know one mistake and they are out.

Triche and MCW can make the same mistakes repeatedly and stay on the floor, but Cooney and Grant make a mistake, and they get the hook.

Grant's confidence looks like it's shot, which is a shame because he had been playing so well during JS's absence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom