Big 12 to expand...or not | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 to expand...or not

Ideally, I'd like to have eight conferences of nine teams. You play four home, four away (up to the conferences if they want to do a championship game) with the winner of each conference going to the playoffs. Create a seperate division for these conferences where players get paid, can do endorsements and it is figured out how academics would be worked in. I know this would never happen, i like to dream.
You could call that division the NFL, unless that is already taken.

@slmandel
Houston surging, BYU considered "toxic." Still not sure it will expand.

Partially addressed is the matter of whether ESPN and FOX will approve the selections. UT and OU know that they really need at least a triple, knowing there are no home run candidates. Realistically, neither will commit to the GOR extension unless they get a warm fuzzy feeling from the networks about expansion. This makes me think that the networks are willing to provide a lifesaver to the Big 12 but that they aren't as generous as UT and OU believe they should be, thus they keep their option to leave at the end of the current deal and join new a conference(s).

This leads me to think that there are several more teams the networks would like to be in the upper echelon for whatever reasons (markets, regional match-ups, extra inventory). I am beginning to lean towards the idea that they would like at least 5, possibly more power conferences to weaken the chances that the power conferences get together and negotiate an overall deal like the NFL, MLB, etc. I still believe that all college sports are underpaid by teh networks.

Looking like UCONN had better get used to playing football in the AAC for a while. With exit fee money coming to an end the Huskies are going to have to get used to living on the kind of TV money that Tulsa, Tulane and most of their other conference mates have had to live on.

"Nebraska didn't have minuses. Texas A&M didn't have minuses. Colorado and Missouri didn't have minuses. All flagship universities in their states. All deep roots with fellow conference schools. All a decent (or better) amount of football tradition. All academically stout (all four members of the prestigious Association of American Universities)."

I wonder just how "stout" WfVU was deemed to be a few years ago. And if 12 "is just a number" why did they need more than 8? ;)

The Big 12 held out hope into July that it might eventually entice Florida State and Clemson to leave the ACC. Then came word that the ACC was forming a conference network, leaving the Big 12 as the only Power-5 league without such a marketing force, and that the ACC schools were signing away their media rights to the conference into 2037.

Bye-bye pipe dream of Florida State and Clemson. So the Big 12 pushed back.

The Big 12 held out hope into July that it might eventually entice Florida State and Clemson to leave the ACC. Then came word that the ACC was forming a conference network, leaving the Big 12 as the only Power-5 league without such a marketing force, and that the ACC schools were signing away their media rights to the conference into 2037.

Bye-bye pipe dream of Florida State and Clemson. So the Big 12 pushed back.

They are out of their minds if they thought that was a possibility at all. Both have played in the playoffs with ACC on their chests. What's gained by a move?

They are out of their minds if they thought that was a possibility at all. Both have played in the playoffs with ACC on their chests. What's gained by a move?
If your read the Ga. Tech board you would know the answer.

3RD TIER GAZILLIONS!!!!

I know how happy we are to be in the ACC, but Louisville was in a fight to the death with WVU to get in the Big 12. Imagine how happy they are not to be in that clusterf***.

I know how happy we are to be in the ACC, but Louisville was in a fight to the death with WVU to get in the Big 12. Imagine how happy they are not to be in that clusterf***.
Oklahoma wanted Louisville. That is part of the reason they are pissed.

I don't know why Oklahoma was overruled with WVU. Texas didn't care about Louisville vs. West Virginia as they just wanted a Texas school to replace A&M.
If the Big XII took Louisville over West Virginia the ACC is screwed as they would have been forced to decide if WVU was going to get the benefit of the doubt Louisville got for academics or would UConn have gotten in.

It was a close decision between WVU and Lousiville. I remember politicians getting involved Sen. Rockafeller and Sen. McConnell had war in the Senate to get their schools in to the Big XII.

Which I would interpret to mean the Big12 is on it's last legs.
lets sing...

th

From article -

7. Connecticut: If this was basketball-only, the Huskies would be in. If it's football-only, UConn is a longshot.

That break's my heart...not.

Read the article the Big XII is safe till 2025. The GOR will hold in Court.

Texas and Oklahoma basically have decided they won't commit long term. The SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 all want in one way want one or both of Oklahoma and Texas.
Expansion is dead until those schools decide what they want. Kansas likely will get a raft to one of the other 4. Oklahoma State wants Oklahoma to save them. Texas Tech wants to Texas to save them. Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, TCU, West Virginia are all screwed and have to do whatever it takes to keep OU and UT happy.

Read the article the Big XII is safe till 2025. The GOR will hold in Court.

Texas and Oklahoma basically have decided they won't commit long term. The SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 all want in one way want one or both of Oklahoma and Texas.
Expansion is dead until those schools decide what they want. Kansas likely will get a raft to one of the other 4. Oklahoma State wants Oklahoma to save them. Texas Tech wants to Texas to save them. Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, TCU, West Virginia are all screwed and have to do whatever it takes to keep OU and UT happy.
yeah, basically its ok till 2022 or 2023 when they will really have to make up their minds.

however, if they keep getting left out of the playoffs, things will change.

I wonder if their is contract language in about the GOR and "what is considered a conference". For example, we all know that GOR broadcast rights stay with the conference. But lets say, UT, OU KU and OSU all find a new home. Does the "conference" still legally exist with the remaining 6 members?? If such langauge existed, couldnt it be considered poaching season already??

If I was KU, i would be making overtures to the B1G10 ASAP. I wouldnt leave anything to UT or OU control, i would control my own destiny.

I wonder if their is contract language in about the GOR and "what is considered a conference". For example, we all know that GOR broadcast rights stay with the conference. But lets say, UT, OU KU and OSU all find a new home. Does the "conference" still legally exist with the remaining 6 members?? If such langauge existed, couldnt it be considered poaching season already??

If I was KU, i would be making overtures to the B1G10 ASAP. I wouldnt leave anything to UT or OU control, i would control my own destiny.
All the GOR does is give the Big XII the contract rights to each school's home games. Thus any school can leave the Big XII but the conference would own their rights till 2025. If Texas left tomorrow to the ACC. The Big XII would control the Texas home games thru 2025.

Thus, if a bunch of schools left ESPN/FOX would still pay the Big XII for the rights butt the schools left would get paid but the gravy train would end in 2o25. It isn't known if the conferences would still have to pay the schools that left. It is likely they would but no conferences is taking a new school without having their TV rights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom