Big 12 to expand...or not | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 to expand...or not

I knew the Big XII was going through this entire process publicly, but to inform schools they have been axed from the list (and then have them announce it) is, well, strange to say the least.

Make your decision, announce it, and move on. The schools that aren't chosen will eventually find out. ;)
Winner(s) get a rose at the end.

I knew the Big XII was going through this entire process publicly, but to inform schools they have been axed from the list (and then have them announce it) is, well, strange to say the least.

Make your decision, announce it, and move on. The schools that aren't chosen will eventually find out. ;)

I want to believe they're filming a reality television show. ECU has just been voted off BIG XII island. UCONN is now walking around naked and afraid.

This is tacky. Wonder if each school had to pay an application fee.

What does everyone think a good proposal would be. Obviously the B12 is simply looking to add TV revenue to the existing teams coffers by adding two (four teams) and giving them a smaller share. If you are UConn. Do you basically agree to anything that nets you more than the AAC + estimated travel costs?? Hoping that you are competitive enough that maybe the next round of tv contracts, you have established yourself as a P5 school and get rewarded then???

What does everyone think a good proposal would be. Obviously the B12 is simply looking to add TV revenue to the existing teams coffers by adding two (four teams) and giving them a smaller share. If you are UConn. Do you basically agree to anything that nets you more than the AAC + estimated travel costs?? Hoping that you are competitive enough that maybe the next round of tv contracts, you have established yourself as a P5 school and get rewarded then???
th

The Big XII is trying to get ESPN to cave. If they actually expand the conference is done. Texas because of their deal with ESPN would never let the conference sign exclusively with FOX when the rights expired. It would force Texas out.

ESPN would be pissed at the conference for extorting 250 million dollars extra for a crap American team. FOX wants to shake UConn into the Big East to help the BB contract.

Cincinnati/Houston are the leaders but taking BYU/UConn is being discussed.

The Big XII is trying to get ESPN to cave. If they actually expand the conference is done. Texas because of their deal with ESPN would never let the conference sign exclusively with FOX when the rights expired. It would force Texas out.

ESPN would be pissed at the conference for extorting 250 million dollars extra for a crap American team. FOX wants to shake UConn into the Big East to help the BB contract.

Cincinnati/Houston are the leaders but taking BYU/UConn is being discussed.
If things go the way they have for the LHN, then ESPN will discontinue the network. ESPN is losing money on the deal, last I heard.

If things go the way they have for the LHN, then ESPN will discontinue the network. ESPN is losing money on the deal, last I heard.
ESPN pays 15 million dollars a year for LHN. That is chump change for ESPN to control Texas future under its own umbrella.

If ESPN discontinued LHN it could cause Texas to push the Big XII to stay in the status quo and push them towards FOX in retaliation.

ESPN/FOX split Big XII FB rights. ESPN owns Big XII BB rights. If the Big XII wants to get paid it needs Texas/Oklahoma on board long term and needs the 2 networks or atleast one of them to overpay for a conference in a tiny media boundary. ESPN wants to keep Texas the flagship happy I don't see them closing down LHN unless it losing a lot of money.

I for one can't wait until UConn receives their "thanks but no thanks" fruit basket from the B12.

They need to just apply to the Big East. We know it and they know it. They are delaying the inevitable.

ESPN pays 15 million dollars a year for LHN. That is chump change for ESPN to control Texas future under its own umbrella.

If ESPN discontinued LHN it could cause Texas to push the Big XII to stay in the status quo and push them towards FOX in retaliation.

ESPN/FOX split Big XII FB rights. ESPN owns Big XII BB rights. If the Big XII wants to get paid it needs Texas/Oklahoma on board long term and needs the 2 networks or atleast one of them to overpay for a conference in a tiny media boundary. ESPN wants to keep Texas the flagship happy I don't see them closing down LHN unless it losing a lot of money.

That is what is happening from my understanding (I am willing to be corrected, if someone has newer, solid info, please post a link). ESPN is supposedly losing money. UT is getting their $15MM.

I get that ESPN may not want to have the Big 12 move entirely to Fox, but for now, that is not an issue and they can worry about it then. ESPN is not going to lose much so long as they have the SEC and ACC and half of the B1G. In reality, there are only a few good games in the Big 12 annually and most of the country does not care about most of the games. Only OU and UT hold sway in nationwide viewing; other games may be interesting because the conference title is on the line, or a perfect season, but really, who cares about a TexasBlech v. KState game? Besides, if Fox is not a full rival to ESPN, the Big 12 may not want to go solely with Fox, as we saw with the B1G.

ECU announced it, not the Big XII. To me, letting those that didn't make the cut know it as soon as possible allows those schools to move on.
This whole thing smells like Rush Week...

orange79 said:
LOL - opening line of the article says, "The Big 12 has whittled its list of potential expansions schools to just “six to eight,” Mark Blaudschun of TMGcollegesports.com reports." Then lists 9 schools.

Kinda perfect for the Big 12 conference of 10 schools.

Math is not their strong suit.

This is being whittled down in horrific fashion. If we were in need of one of these lifeboats I would be out of my flipping mind.

Can't imagine being a Uconn or cincy fan.

Toga said:
When the ACC last expanded one morning everyone woke up and boom - SU and Pitt are members. The B12 looking to expand is a 4th grade shitshow.

I think it's been mentioned, but they reall should have done this as a reality show.

Looks like this is the beginning of the end for the Big 12 as a power conference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom