Big 12 to expand...or not | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 to expand...or not

That is what is happening from my understanding (I am willing to be corrected, if someone has newer, solid info, please post a link). ESPN is supposedly losing money. UT is getting their $15MM.

I get that ESPN may not want to have the Big 12 move entirely to Fox, but for now, that is not an issue and they can worry about it then. ESPN is not going to lose much so long as they have the SEC and ACC and half of the B1G. In reality, there are only a few good games in the Big 12 annually and most of the country does not care about most of the games. Only OU and UT hold sway in nationwide viewing; other games may be interesting because the conference title is on the line, or a perfect season, but really, who cares about a TexasBlech v. KState game? Besides, if Fox is not a full rival to ESPN, the Big 12 may not want to go solely with Fox, as we saw with the B1G.

I read somewhere that ESPN has lost $48 million on the LHN so far - meanwhile the ACC will get $45 million per year extra until 2019 when the "linear network" launches making the ACC no worse than 3rd in $$ among the major college leagues. With 15 schools and a big geographic footprint, the new channel will earn $$ for ESPN, unlike the probably ill-fated LHN.

Last edited:
When the ACC last expanded one morning everyone woke up and boom - SU and Pitt are members. The B12 looking to expand is a 4th grade [crap]show.

Yeah, it would have served that conference and the 20 or so (!) applicant schools better if this had all been done behind a curtain like in the Wizard of Oz (no longer in Kanas right?) and then announced later - and if they don't expand (unlikely?) this will have been a lot of "sound and fury signifying nothing" but at least there would have been "face saving" steps taken to protect the schools applying. At least 10 schools inquired about joining the ACC when Pitt and Cuse joined but applications were not taken and the schools were never named, unlike 2003. That's the way to do it when you can't be serious about considering them.

ESPN should turn this into a 2 hour Maury Povich feature similar to LeBron's Decision.

They could have all 12 Presidents/ADs on a stage give a brief spiel about how they know they're "the father."

And the climax would be Maury going through each candidate school and informing them in his unique, "You are NOT the father!" or "You ARE the father!" way that they're in or out.

It would be equally entertaining as the current poorly contained process.

ForCuseSake said:
ESPN should turn this into a 2 hour Maury Povich feature similar to LeBron's Decision. They could have all 12 Presidents/ADs on a stage give a brief spiel about how they know they're "the father." And the climax would be Maury going through each candidate school and informing them in his unique, "You are NOT the father!" or "You ARE the father!" way that they're in or out. It would be equally entertaining as the current poorly contained process. YouTube Video

Love it. UCONN would be the one who is confident he is the Dad, only to cry delicious tears finding out its the fat guy from Cincinnati.

I think it's been mentioned, but they really should have done this as a reality show.
Bob Bowslby just hired a new spokesperson.
WeakestLink_AnneRobinson.jpg

I am surprised the Rutgers didn't make the list. It's not like they are noticed in ? as a member.

I'm sure the Big Ten would trade them for anyone else.

They probably didn't offer to pay the Big 12 enough to take Rutgers. Even the train wreck that is Big 12 Expansion has some dignity an decorum.

Memphis is out according to Brent McMurphy.

That's one of the four I had in.

Memphis is out according to Brent McMurphy.

That's one of the four I had in.

Me too. They have the stadium, resources and potential. Also gets the Big 12 into a new state. Don't understand leaving them out.

Did not bend over far enough.

You're probably right. Haha!

As much as Houston deserves an invite. Having another Texas school is kinda pointless. They probably get in though.

Houston, Cincinnati, Colorado State, BYU?

If (notice that's a big "if") they expand, I think it will be Houston and Cinci. Houston keeps the PTB in Baja Oklahoma happy and Cinci reduces the isolation of the Islandeers. I think it's becoming more and more likely they won't expand.

If (notice that's a big "if") they expand, I think it will be Houston and Cinci. Houston keeps the PTB in Baja Oklahoma happy and Cinci reduces the isolation of the Islandeers. I think it's becoming more and more likely they won't expand.
There is a large amount of push back against Houston from the Oklahoma schools. OU definitely prefers Cincy and either BYU or Memphis. Overall I agree about not expanding. The folks I talk to in Oklahoma also don't think there will be expansion.

CuseLegacy said:

Some creative accounting of attendance figures going on there.

If Memphis has been eliminated they might be looking at only expanding with 2, but if they do go with 4 I wouldn't be shocked to see UCF slide in that last spot. In a major entertainment hub and DMV in Orlando. New & heavily populated state, recruiting gold mine for B12 teams, east coast time zone, one of the largest student bodies in the nation, new facilities and they would happily take pennies on the dollar in hopes of parlaying the P5 membership in order to build their brand for the next round. Travel (3 hr flight to Dallas isn't to bad) and history are the obvious issues. Cinci, BYU, Houston, UCF?

This whole situation is hysterical.

SEC expansion: Texas A&M, Missouri
Pac-12 expansion: Colorado, Utah
B1G expansion: Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers
ACC expansion: Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Louisville

Big 12 expansion: some C-USA schools or something

This whole situation is hysterical.

SEC expansion: Texas A&M, Missouri
Pac-12 expansion: Colorado, Utah
B1G expansion: Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers
ACC expansion: Syracuse, Pitt, Notre Dame, Louisville

Big 12 expansion: some C-USA schools or something

It looks like the Big 12 may still surpass the B1G's acquisition of Rutgers, and possibly Maryland.

This article isn't sure they will be there in a decade:
Big 12 expansion process drags on, with dysfunction only constant for league

Will it someday be a "Power Four" of conferences with 20+ members?
Ideally, I'd like to have eight conferences of nine teams. You play four home, four away (up to the conferences if they want to do a championship game) with the winner of each conference going to the playoffs. Create a seperate division for these conferences where players get paid, can do endorsements and it is figured out how academics would be worked in. I know this would never happen, i like to dream.

Ideally, I'd like to have eight conferences of nine teams. You play four home, four away (up to the conferences if they want to do a championship game) with the winner of each conference going to the playoffs. Create a seperate division for these conferences where players get paid, can do endorsements and it is figured out how academics would be worked in. I know this would never happen, i like to dream.

Re-create the Big east with the top football programs in the East, (including Penn State, Rutgers and West Virginia). Bring the ACC back to what it was- for the mason-Dixon line to Florida. Bring teh SEC back to what it was- the Deep South. The Big Ten would be the top teams around the Great Likes. Re-create the Big Eight for the farm belt. Re-create the SWC, (my favorite conference) for the teams in Texas + Arkansas. Recombine the WAC and Mountain West to represent that area. And the Pac whatever would have the west coast. Put Notre Dame somewhere. Now have an 8 team playoff of the conference champs for the national title. Now you have conferences that make geographical sense and a true national championship playoff.

Some assembly required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom