Big 12 to expand...or not | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 to expand...or not

Bob Bowlsby
shocked+and+stunned+old+man.gif

The most telling piece of Bolsby's and Boren's conference was that they do not believe it is feasible to start their own network. This is only 3 months removed from when the ACC said it was. Hmmmm...

The most telling piece of Bolsby's and Boren's conference was that they do not believe it is feasible to start their own network. This is only 3 months removed from when the ACC said it was. Hmmmm...
...but Texas has their own network...and it's failing...

Things of note after this news from the Big 12:
1. We are in a stable, thriving Power 5 (eventually 4) Conference
2. This decision only strengthens the remaining Power 5 (4) conferences
3. Big 12 is leaving money on the table, which will hurt
4. They did not extend their GoR
5. Finally, the best news...UConn is still on the outside looking in...

when it finally becomes a power 4 scenario - won't the ACC be the new big 12?

I feel like we will keep subtracting conferences until there is only 1 super conference left and smaller private schools will be left out like Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Syracuse etc.

I feel like we will keep subtracting conferences until there is only 1 super conference left and smaller private schools will be left out like Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Syracuse etc.
I don't think so. Four is a good even number, five has always been a difficult number, particularly with the football playoff. Plus, the ACC is becoming a football power as teams like Louisville join Florida State and Clemson as national powers. And the rest of the league is improving as well in football. If you look at the rankings for just about any other NCAA sport, the ACC is very very strong if not dominant.

I agree with orangefog's post and would add this comment about your last line. Going to that one superconference would probably mean the adoption of Jay Bilas' "nobody has to go to class anymore" minor league system. If that's the case, Vandy, Wake, SU, and the private schools won't be alone because a number of state schools will either choose to opt out of that superconference or will be told by their state's government that they have no other choice but to opt out of that superconference. More of D-1 would adopt the Ivies' system of using the D-3 financial aid rules in D-1.

Sports fans tend to look at reining in football and basketball by the academicians as cutting off a valuable source of money and advertising. Numerous studies have shown the money for the academic side of the house is there regardless of sports and how much positive advertising is Baylor getting right now?

Adding another Texas school wasn't ever going to happen. The Texas Politics killed expansion, the other schools left over from the old Big 8, have realized it was a mistake when they invited 4 Texas schools originally from the old SWC to form the Big 12.

I live in Big 12 country in Kansas City and I think the perception outside of Big 12 country is that this handling of expansion has been a big cluster****. I'd like to confirm that's my impression also.

Adding another Texas school wasn't ever going to happen. The Texas Politics killed expansion, the other schools left over from the old Big 8, have realized it was a mistake when they invited 4 Texas schools originally from the old SWC to form the Big 12.

Not sure I understand the rationale. Wouldn't the Texas Pols want more money going to their state schools? Particularly to a state research university with 43,000 students?

Not sure I understand the rationale. Wouldn't the Texas Pols want more money going to their state schools? Particularly to a state research university with 43,000 students?
The original Big 8 which invited Texas, Texas A@m, Baylor, and Texas Tech, were Missouri, Iowa St, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas, Kansas St, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St. Colorado, Nebraska, and Missouri left because of Texas, and the voting block, the other schools left over don't want more Texas schools.

The Texas Pols, including the current Lieutenant Governor, wanted Houston in.

So it will be 4 16 team conferences eventually?

I doubt it'll ever be that clean. For starters, there are 64 teams in P5 conferences today. Plus Notre Dame. Meanwhile there are number of schools currently in the P5 due to history that one could argue don't "deserve" to be there more than many who are outside the P5 (e.g. Wake Forest is in, Houston is out).

Conference machinations are an eternal part of the college landscape. There has never been a particularly settled stretch of time going back, well, forever. Things are always in flux. And given greed and self-interest that drive college sports there's really no reason to expect that to change.

So maybe at some point we'll land on 4X16 for a few years, accidentally, and then someone(s) will start angling for a few more bucks and that'll blow up.

The suggestion that some put forth, that there has been some master plan at work heading towards a 4X16 future, is silly. These schools and conferences can't coordinate their schedule for tomorrow, let alone for decades out.

man - how lucky were we that we got that ACC invite...?

seems like we are guaranteed a place at the table for 30+ years...

I doubt it'll ever be that clean. For starters, there are 64 teams in P5 conferences today. Plus Notre Dame. Meanwhile there are number of schools currently in the P5 due to history that one could argue don't "deserve" to be there more than many who are outside the P5 (e.g. Wake Forest is in, Houston is out).

Conference machinations are an eternal part of the college landscape. There has never been a particularly settled stretch of time going back, well, forever. Things are always in flux. And given greed and self-interest that drive college sports there's really no reason to expect that to change.

So maybe at some point we'll land on 4X16 for a few years, accidentally, and then someone(s) will start angling for a few more bucks and that'll blow up.

The suggestion that some put forth, that there has been some master plan at work heading towards a 4X16 future, is silly. These schools and conferences can't coordinate their schedule for tomorrow, let alone for decades out.
Kansas State/Iowa State/TCU/Baylor/Texas Tech/West Virginia/Oklahoma State are the vulnerable schools in the 4x16 scenario. Some of them will attach to Texas/Oklahoma but because the Big XII is the P5 schools its bottom schools are the ones doomed at the end.

man - how lucky were we that we got that ACC invite...?
Considering that SU was invited twice, I would say that the invitation was inevitable and not luck... but I understand what you're saying. Playing in the AACK would not have been good for the program. The Dome renovation would likely look very different.

Scootch, you just ruined life for many sports bloggers nationwide. The Dude and his ilk have to believe there is a secret cabal sitting in a back room, filled with smoke, computer monitors and dozens of techies just waitiong to pass on the "latest" intel from secret web and phone monitoring software Said cabal is directing the machinations of the schools via their athletic departments to the exclusion of certain schools who simply refuse to join the cabal or who are looked down upon due to a laundry list of reasons to be looked down upon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom