Big Game James | Syracusefan.com

Big Game James

moqui

generational talent
with apologies to Mr. Worthy

aside from the points,that was a fantastic defensive rotation to seal the baseline at 53-49

Yeah, I don't care to ever hear from the JS haters again. He was the difference in this game if we win.

James was coplayer of the game in my mind, and thats no disrespect to waiters its just the guy had Ice Water in his veins.

with apologies to Mr. Worthy

aside from the points,that was a fantastic defensive rotation to seal the baseline at 53-49

He got boned on a another clean block too. Has some great above the rim defense. The block he had at UConn was very McNabb vs. Jaheidi White-like.

FTs were big too... His follow rebound of his missed three was a thing of beauty and would've been a huge play if Fab didn't lose his damn mind and think he was Kevin Garnett. He's been following his shot lately and playing head's up basketball. Good for him. I've been a James basher at times but when he plays well it elevates our game so much because he has such a unique skill set for a guy his size.

James gets his moment in the sun, front page of ESPN's basketball section
ncb_e_cusecelebrate_576.jpg

and acknowledgement as key to victory in the "Rapid Reaction", although they mis-identified the key play of the game, IMO.

Where are those who have said that he doesn't come up big in big games. Can anybody tell me who was bigger today? Yeah Waiters had the pts but James was big at both ends of the floor late in the game.

Not a hater, but I'd love to see Dirty do this more often post January. Keep it going into April kid!

I saw a young player who has struggled with his shot become a confident upperclassmen at the free throw line to close the game today. He's all grown up now, mark my words. its all about focus james, don't think! There is a difference. I knew our fortunate scheduling with all the practice time would benefit him. Amazing next game or two if fair is feeling better he can have the same type of impact. Triche at home and James on the road, this us exactly why the BET can help us!

Hopefully something clicked for him today, at least with his shot. His D has been pretty consistent lately, we just need him to hit some shots when he's out there. Loved him knocking down the FT's as well.

Yeah, I don't care to ever hear from the JS haters again. He was the difference in this game if we win.
I don't think of myself as a hater and I've posted very little if any negative comments about js, but I do not think he is very good. He is a good athlete who is not fluid enough to really take advantage of his athleticism and a designated shooter who must be square and who really does not shoot very well even when he is. And many of his misses are bricks. I would love to be proven wrong going forward of course.

another huge block on drummond also

The stats say he has had 3 blocks in 3 games against UConn, but it seems like he's blocked at least that many Drummond dunk attempts in the games.

I don't think of myself as a hater and I've posted very little if any negative comments about js, but I do not think he is very good. He is a good athlete who is not fluid enough to really take advantage of his athleticism and a designated shooter who must be square and who really does not shoot very well even when he is. And many of his misses are bricks. I would love to be proven wrong going forward of course.

He is only a sophmore who happens to be our 8th man. By the time he is a senior I fully expect him to be stroking it like Andy did.

I think he has incredible upside. He makes us almost unbeatable if hes hitting shots. His size, athleticism, defense just throws off other teams and for some reason when he hits a three it just seems to pump up the team more than usual. He doesnt shoot very well in games, yet...all reports is that hes lights out in practice. All he needs is a couple good games and I think he will be ready to become a big time contributor.

I've said it all season long: we are a different team when James is a consistent perimeter threat.

Two solid games in a row for James--hope he's got his mojo back and keeps it rolling for 8 more games. Because when we're bringing solid bench scoring like Waiters, CJ, and James off of the bench, we are unbeatable.

He is only a sophmore who happens to be our 8th man. By the time he is a senior I fully expect him to be stroking it like Andy did.
Is he a soph? I thought jr. Anyway, there is no way he will ever be able to come around screens and shoot like rautins

James is a junior. It's about time he showed up in a meaningful game. Let's just hope it's not another flash in the pan like all his other good performances.

I'm thrilled for James and as long as players keep stepping up and helping get SU wins, alls good...very good.

Is he a soph? I thought jr. Anyway, there is no way he will ever be able to come around screens and shoot like rautins

My mistake on him being a Junior.

To your point about screens .. so what. With the talent we have now and coming in we don't need him off of screens. He will get plenty of opportunity to hit them off of kick outs.

It still amazes me that people can complain about our 8th man not having enough talent.

My mistake on him being a Junior.

To your point about screens .. so what. With the talent we have now and coming in we don't need him off of screens. He will get plenty of opportunity to hit them off of kick outs.

It still amazes me that people can complain about our 8th man not having enough talent.

Good grief. In a thread that talked about big game james (albeit, in an obvious tongue in cheek reference) and in response to a specific post that suggested that anyone who has criticized Southerland's game should permanently stay quiet after Southerland's 10 point performance yesterday, I simply opined that in my opinion Southerland is not very good and I explained why I think that. I am not sure how that gets turned into a "complaint that our 8th man does not have enough talent."

I've not posted enough on this Board that anyone should know me from Adam, but over the last few years I've posted several times about the talent that was lining up for the 2011-12 and 2012-13 teams and disagreed with those who rejected the notion we'd be top 5 caliber during these 2 seasons b/c we were losing Rautins, Wes, Jackson, etc. The point is I've never been a glass half empty, doom and gloom type poster, in fact I do not even read this board after losses b/c some posts get so ridiculous in the sky is falling mentality. To the contrary, I think SU is experiencing an incredible run in recruiting and in being legit year after year. Obviously it has not yet resulted in the March results we'd like, partially due to bad luck and partially due to bad performances. But far from "complaining" about our talent level, I think its a great time for Syracuse basketball and a time to enjoy the extraordinary depth of talent they have and are continuing to bring in.

The simple point - again - is that that on a team that needs every reliable outside shooter it can get, the one guy who is on the floor largely for his outside shooting has shot so poorly. He not only misses wide open jumpers but often misses them badly. And its a huge advantage to be able to shoot curling off a screen, of course. So its not "so what?" Just like its a huge benefit to be able to pull up off the bounce. It does not matter how much surrounding talent there is. Rautins was surrounded by as much talent as Southerland is/will be, and that was an important part of his game, and one JB utilized often. The fact is that, to date, Southerland has not shown an ability to square up and shoot when on the run, or off the bounce. And given his unorthodox shooting style of stepping into the shot much more than most, its highly unlikely he will ever develop either ability. So, yes, if he hits them in practice like he apparently does when he has time to square up and step in, he probably will leave Syracuse known as a much better shooter then he's shown to date, but I will be very surprised if in the end he shows himself to be a shooter anywhere near Rautins' (or even Devendorf's) level.

Great post, jsshap. Spot on. Nothing to add.

Dear Mr. Dirty -
Please continue to come up big for at least 8 more games. This will immencely increase your team's (and our team's) chances of cutting down nets.

Sincerely,
Your adoring fans (and critics)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom