Biggest needs | Syracusefan.com

Biggest needs

shu 49

All Conference
After spring game, what is everyone thinking about additions. My thinking is a big olineman although i thought they did well. 1 more really good corner after the Lewis kid. I wasnt in love with Grant at corner. Dont think he is fast enough there. I truly think he would be better at safety for us with his height.

We can always use upgrades anywhere competition warrants it, and I wonder what are the chances of some of the freshman or transfers coming in and cracking the 2-deep and making a difference?

As I see it (and please update or correct me), these guys are all slated to make their initial appearance in the summer - In other words a new influx of talent yet to be incorporated. Could any of these players make a difference in ‘24?
I’m hoping QB Williams is mature and skilled enough to assume the #2 role and that an OL steps up.

True Freshmen (12)
LB Jayden Brown
OL Willie Goodacre
WR Jaylan Hornsby
WR Emanuel Ross
WR Ja'Meer Thomas
TE Jamie Tremble
TE Elijah Washington
QB Jakhari Williams
OL Travis Brown-Miller
WR Malachi James
DB Ibn McDaniels
OL Xavier Miles

Transfers (2)

OL Codie Hornsby [Grambling]
DB Clarence Lewis [Notre Dame]

I think back up QB might be part of the equation…DRW is still jumpy as all get out and Davis appears to be a prime candidate for a position swap.
Agree back up QB needs to be a top priority. We won't replace Kyle if he goes down but we need a serviceable option and I don't see CDRW filling that spot.

Offensive line. Not sure if weatherspoon can hold off ACC edge rushers. Thought he did play well but someone mentioned diggs seemed to be holding back.

Defensive line.

One of each would be nice.

It will also be interesting to see what portal movement happens out of the program.

Talking about big needs... we need a Perry's ice cream in the upper concourse. I cannot believe in 2024 we still have to go down to the lower concourse if we want ice cream.
Still waiting for the food map so people can find the thing offered in one location.

Its just a spring game but I thought the front 4 got pushed around a bit. Penetration came when we brought an extra defender off the edge.

Back up QB is a concern. O Line depth is the best Ive seen. Still think we need to add a guy that will be an ugrade at OT.

Its just a spring game but I thought the front 4 got pushed around a bit. Penetration came when we brought an extra defender off the edge.

Back up QB is a concern. O Line depth is the best Ive seen. Still think we need add a guy that will be an ugrade at OT.
I agree. The question this how would we rate our front 4 vs the teams we will be playing against.

Last edited:
I agree. The question this how would we rate our fron 4 vs the teams we will be playing against.
I think it’s likely we’ll face better OLs from at least 4-5 teams. Didn’t someone say the defense is usually ahead of the offense at this point?

I think back up QB might be part of the equation…DRW is still jumpy as all get out and Davis appears to be a prime candidate for a position swap.
yeah forgot to add that also.

Back up QB is a concern. O Line depth is the best Ive seen. Still think we need to add a guy that will be an ugrade at OT.
Hornsby?

After spring game, what is everyone thinking about additions. My thinking is a big olineman although i thought they did well. 1 more really good corner after the Lewis kid. I wasnt in love with Grant at corner. Dont think he is fast enough there. I truly think he would be better at safety for us with his height.
Tubas are our primary need right now. No quality depth. Going to have to rely on a lot of inexperienced kids who might not know the music or the steps.

Also need to add a backup QB, an OT with P5 starting experience and a DE who is great at rushing the QB.

But tubas are the top priority.

Tubas are our primary need right now. No quality depth. Going to have to rely on a lot of inexperienced kids who might not know the music or the steps.

Also need to add a backup QB, an OT with P5 starting experience and a DE who is great at rushing the QB.

But tubas are the top priority.
I think if you start the Tuba NIL fund that we would donate to it for you

Chandler is the 4th string isnt he though? The other kid who got hurt , Hart ran for like 4000 yds in HS didnt he

Yeah, Hart is another pretty legit talent.

I *heart* that he, like Yasin, is already P4-sized, with a weight north of 200 lbs coming in.
He's prolly RB3, barring injury.

Chandler is a perfectly cromulent RB4.

After seeing Yasin in the Spring Game, I really can't wait for him to be unleashed against our opponents this season.
We finally have a BIG RB who has moves, vision, speed, and can push the pile.

Chandler is the 4th string isnt he though? The other kid who got hurt , Hart ran for like 4000 yds in HS didnt he
Need to find some reps for James 10.4 and 5-11-198, can't teach speed. Played RB, WR, and DB in high school.

cromulent

200.gif

I thought at the game the Diggs wasnt pushing hard but he was there in first series basically playing with little spoon. He woulda had 2 sacks alone in first series. He is incredibly fast and will have a massive impact on our dline. Glad we got him as he will make Little Spoon get better and better. He was slowing down his rush as to not kill anyone which is good. Ready to watch him at full speed.

I thought at the game the Diggs wasnt pushing hard but he was there in first series basically playing with little spoon. He woulda had 2 sacks alone in first series. He is incredibly fast and will have a massive impact on our dline. Glad we got him as he will make Little Spoon get better and better. He was slowing down his rush as to not kill anyone which is good. Ready to watch him at full speed.
For sure. They were held back and McCord was wearing a no-touch jersey (smart ... we don't need him hurt). As Money said (and Tom posted in My Take), It did look like the interior DL got pushed around some. But hard to draw any conclusions when they weren't running a legit pass rush and the rotation isn't set. Those limitations aside (along with no-contact ST's), the spring game was realistic and gave us a great look at the players.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom