Bilas: "Zion Williamson is a phenomenon..." | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bilas: "Zion Williamson is a phenomenon..."

Pretty sure the Patrick Ewing hype was about as big as it could get for that era in time...

Knows what he can do well EXCEPT for that I’ll advised three he took.

We should thank him for hanging around the left corner with 40 seconds left in OT instead of demanding the ball in the post. Then he hoisted that awful 3. The Orange D was great on those last possessions for Duke. But Zion helped.

Sorry but Zion is way more of a phenom, in the popularity sense, than Carmelo ever was. Everyone has known who Zion is for a couple of years now, at least. Carmelo didn't really enter pop culture until the championship run (yes, part of that is due to the internet age and Zion being all over twitter for years now with his crazy dunks).

Part of Melo's problem was that he was coming out of high school around the same time as some other dude who was hyped up pretty highly. Who was that again?????

Larry Johnson comes to mind in terms of hype, and their games are somewhat similar in terms of explosiveness, but Zion is 3 inches taller.

I don't see the LeBron comparisons, personally.
He strikes me as a cross between Blake Griffin and Charles Barkley.

Blake Griffin is a perfect analogy. That's who he is until he gets his three dialed in.

Part of Melo's problem was that he was coming out of high school around the same time as some other dude who was hyped up pretty highly. Who was that again?????

Yeah certainly part of the problem for sure. But I also could be remembering it wrong, but didn't Melo really not blossom until his senior year of HS? Like, he was a top 25 kid before then, but didn't really become a top 3 recruit in that class until pretty late. Another reason why the hype didn't really build as early for him like it did for Zion (and Lebron).

I'm not sure Melo had a problem.

I like that banner hanging in the Dome. We don't know that Zion will get one in his one year at Duke.

What Melo did in the NBA...unfortunate that he couldn't get one there, but that one banner is the only one that matters.

Blake Griffin is a perfect analogy. That's who he is until he gets his three dialed in.
Except griffin makes 2+ treys a game at a 36% flip and averages 5 assists. Of course, he was never really one who attempted threes until the last couple of seasons but that’s the league now and he adapted . He’s having a legit all star campaign this season and his best year ever. If Zion is anywhere close to griffin he’s going to carve out a pretty solid career.

As far as espn is going one direction , most of you guys are just as wrong the other .. this dude is the real deal ...he is a generational talent .. you Rarely see that combo of power , speed , hands , touch , footwork .. he is extremely deft around the rim finishing in traffic even without dunking

Last edited:
If Antoine Walker and Charles Barkley had a baby, it'd be Zion Williamson.

He's a more athletic version of Walker without the stroke.

He's chubby and will be a rebounding machine like Sir Charles once was.
I also see that he may well be a first round pick if he wanted to be a te in the nfl. He is the most explosive big athlete I have seen since maybe ever. I came in thinking he was overhyped but he isn’t. Be dumb for nba team not to pick him. Barrett did not impress me though at all. Great su win and I bet our boys will be bruised up but they will get through it.

I actually dont think zions game will translate to the nba that well. His handle isnt all that special and doesnt have shake. His shot isnt special. He can bully at this level but wont translate as well to nba. I wouldnt pick him first. That said, hes a great college player, but his pro potential is waay overhyped to me.

Not sure about that. He would be the second heaviest guy in the NBA right now and he isn't fat. His pwer is what will serve him better in the NBA. Charles Barkley only shot above the 20s from 3 twice in his entire career. He'll be fine...other than that Duke thing.

Lebron didn’t have a 3 until later in his career either. Yep I’m making the comparison

Not sure about that. He would be the second heaviest guy in the NBA right now and he isn't fat. His pwer is what will serve him better in the NBA. Charles Barkley only shot above the 20s from 3 twice in his entire career. He'll be fine...other than that Duke thing.

Barkley played in a much different time. Even Sir Charles would be expected to shoot the 3 better in today's game.

Zion is fat

Not even.
download.jpg
As a Knick fan, I'd be OK with him with this years pick.

Except griffin makes 2+ treys a game at a 36% flip and averages 5 assists. Of course, he was never really one who attempted threes until the last couple of seasons but that’s the league now and he adapted . He’s having a legit all star campaign this season and his best year ever. If Zion is anywhere close to griffin he’s going to carve out a pretty solid career.

I think he's going to be a level or two ahead of Blake. And Blake has been really good. (And has really modified/improved his game)

Not even. View attachment 150065As a Knick fan, I'd be OK with him with this years pick.
Knick fan too and I hope we don't get the top pick. He's going to go first and his athleticism is crazy and his skill set is good, but he won't bully guys in the league and that weight (good or bad) is tough on a body. I'd rather have the 2nd pick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom