Bilas: "Zion Williamson is a phenomenon..." | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bilas: "Zion Williamson is a phenomenon..."

Zion is awesome no doubt but he's not a phenom. That's crazy talk. Does he go to the NBA and immediately make a huge impact? I don't think so.

Knick fan too and I hope we don't get the top pick. He's going to go first and his athleticism is crazy and his skill set is good, but he won't bully guys in the league and that weight (good or bad) is tough on a body. I'd rather have the 2nd pick.
If Knicks don't get #1 Zion, Ja Morant and RJ Barrett are pretty good alternatives. They need a top 3 pick

my wife couldn't believe he was in college . when i told her he was just a freshman she climbed out onto the ledge. i was only able to coax her back inside by assuring her he'd be gone next yr. 1st pick in the draft.

Zion doesn't have NBA 3 point range. Without it, his ceiling is limited but he could still average a double double in the NBA as a rookie. That speed and quickness at that size is almost unheard of. If he develops a better jumpshot, then we're in ultra rare territory.

Zion is awesome no doubt but he's not a phenom. That's crazy talk. Does he go to the NBA and immediately make a huge impact? I don't think so.

Lol what a joke that size and athleticism and ability to finish through contact when the defender is there is uncoachable.

Its a shame we are likely going to see him play hero ball for a crappy team. This guy is a high end Draymond Green but noone knows what Draymond looks like surrounded by scrubs.

Except griffin makes 2+ treys a game at a 36% flip and averages 5 assists. Of course, he was never really one who attempted threes until the last couple of seasons but that’s the league now and he adapted . He’s having a legit all star campaign this season and his best year ever. If Zion is anywhere close to griffin he’s going to carve out a pretty solid career.

Blake Griffin was not a three point shooter in college. He developed that over time.
Zion has a nice mid-range game and shows touch on his shot, when he's not dunking the ball.
I think his 3 point shot right now (basically a set shot) won't translate, but he's got the tools to become a three point shooter as a pro. LeBron, Michael Jordan, all of them developed the three ball over time.

sir charles barkley called in when JB was on the patrick show today and said jimmy better take off his glasses next time they meet. (jokingly). JB said charles could knock him out with 1 finger.

Blake Griffin was not a three point shooter in college. He developed that over time.
Zion has a nice mid-range game and shows touch on his shot, when he's not dunking the ball.
I think his 3 point shot right now (basically a set shot) won't translate, but he's got the tools to become a three point shooter as a pro. LeBron, Michael Jordan, all of them developed the three ball over time.

I don't think he'll have a pro 3 ball ever. It's currently an unguarded stand still set shot from 19 feet. he'll make some obviously but he's not exactly going to be a threat.

he's what 6-7 290lbs? He's not going to be able to truck guys in the NBA the way he does college guys. I'm just shocked that Bilas called him a generational type phenom. Ludicrous.

I don't think he'll have a pro 3 ball ever. It's currently an unguarded stand still set shot from 19 feet. he'll make some obviously but he's not exactly going to be a threat.

he's what 6-7 290lbs? He's not going to be able to truck guys in the NBA the way he does college guys. I'm just shocked that Bilas called him a generational type phenom. Ludicrous.

He's got at least 40 to 50 pounds on just about every small forward in the NBA currently. He's bigger than most power forwards as well, and more athletic than almost all of them. His jumper and handle obviously need work, but he is an elite athlete and an elite finisher around the rim (not just dunks). To think that he won't be able to do that in the NBA is ludicrous.

I could see him putting up 25 and 12, even without being much of a 3 point shooter. Julius Randle puts up 20 and 10 this year. They have some similarities but Zion is a better shooter and a more explosive athlete. He’s a matchup nightmare at any level IMO.

Whether he’s an all time great or “just” an all star I think will depend on how good he becomes defensively, and how good of a shooter he becomes.

Hard to see him not being a very good player at the very least though.

like we've never seen as a freshman." Or something like that. He said Lew Alcindor is the closest, maybe. I don't know. I feel like I've seen lots of super hyped freshman. And I wouldn't agree with his suggestion that it's an Internet Age thing. Anyone remember Never Nervous Pervis?
I thought Bilas was specifically referring to Zion's national popularity/his 'brand'/awareness of him as enabled by social media and video clips. He has a gazillion followers and even pros and celebs know about him. I though Bilas was comparing that with national awareness of Alcindor, and looking for some other comparable. There really aren't many others. Lebron was a huge thing. Lenny Cooke was a huge thing. There was a kid who was supposed to be the Next Jordan, but he... wasn't... and i can't even remember his name now. But, he was hyped on a major level.

and he's still so young. i think a lot will depend on his discipline and conditioning once he gets his millions.

He's got at least 40 to 50 pounds on just about every small forward in the NBA currently. He's bigger than most power forwards as well, and more athletic than almost all of them. His jumper and handle obviously need work, but he is an elite athlete and an elite finisher around the rim (not just dunks). To think that he won't be able to do that in the NBA is ludicrous.

he's not a small forward so why compare them.

I'm basically saying he's not going to be an NBA phenom.

he's not a small forward so why compare them.

I'm basically saying he's not going to be an NBA phenom.

He's a 3/4 in the league, depending on how his game evolves. Jay Bilas was talking about college, not the NBA and if people can't see how he is a college phenom, then I don't know what to tell them. I also think it's way too early to say that he won't be a big-time star in the NBA. He quite obviously has holes in his game that he needs to address, but so has every kid that has ever gone into the league.

I could see him putting up 25 and 12, even without being much of a 3 point shooter. Julius Randle puts up 20 and 10 this year. They have some similarities but Zion is a better shooter and a more explosive athlete. He’s a matchup nightmare at any level IMO.

Whether he’s an all time great or “just” an all star I think will depend on how good he becomes defensively, and how good of a shooter he becomes.

Hard to see him not being a very good player at the very least though.

Heck, Ben Simmons is averaging 16 and 9 and he hasn't even attempted a three this year.

I should edit that with the fact that Ben has better handle than Zion, at this point, but there's no reason that he can't improve that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom