Bilas: "Zion Williamson is a phenomenon..." | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Bilas: "Zion Williamson is a phenomenon..."

Heck, Ben Simmons is averaging 16 and 9 and he hasn't even attempted a three this year.

How is it even possible that a point guard hasn't chucked up a half court shot at the end of a quarter or half?

I thought Bilas was specifically referring to Zion's national popularity/his 'brand'/awareness of him as enabled by social media and video clips. He has a gazillion followers and even pros and celebs know about him. I though Bilas was comparing that with national awareness of Alcindor, and looking for some other comparable. There really aren't many others. Lebron was a huge thing. Lenny Cooke was a huge thing. There was a kid who was supposed to be the Next Jordan, but he... wasn't... and i can't even remember his name now. But, he was hyped on a major level.
Harold Miner from USC - baby Jordan...

Zion is a generational talent, not just on the court but also off of it. He has the hype of a Lebron. The fact they're forcing Zion to attend college for a year is a joke. The system really needs to be adjusted for these uber high level players that have no business being in college. I know the NBA is working on planning a system to allow the super high end players go directly into prep mode for the league and I think that is fantastic. It will help the overall college sport so much by removing some of these top 5 type talents that honestly don't belong in college. This dude isn't learning anything being at Duke.

In my opinion, Melo/Durant/Anthony Davis/Zion are the Mount Rushmore of college freshmen up to this point.
That's a nice question.
Got to give Melo a lot of credit for carrying the Orange to the title.

Couple of other freshmen to consider:
Bernard King...averaged 26 points/12 rebounds
Magic...17 points/8 rebounds/7 assists

But...if freshmen were allowed to play varsity before 1972 there's no doubt the greatest scoring machine ever would be on the Mount...Pete Maravich.

Zion is a generational talent, not just on the court but also off of it. He has the hype of a Lebron. The fact they're forcing Zion to attend college for a year is a joke. The system really needs to be adjusted for these uber high level players that have no business being in college. I know the NBA is working on planning a system to allow the super high end players go directly into prep mode for the league and I think that is fantastic. It will help the overall college sport so much by removing some of these top 5 type talents that honestly don't belong in college. This dude isn't learning anything being at Duke.
I think the issue is the other side of it. The reason they implemented the rule was because all sorts of kids were getting bad advice, not going to college and then not being drafted or being drafted in the 2nd round. The Lenny Cooke's of the world. There are countless other kids like Lenny. They should just put the MLB system in place but maybe do 2 years. So you would have the Zion's straight out of high school but then have a bunch of kids 2 years older that have more of a sample size to understand. This is an NBA thing not a college thing.

I don’t think his game is going to translate all that well in the NBA. Not saying he’ll be a busy but I don’t think he’s going to be a in that Davis/Durant tier.

I don’t think his game is going to translate all that well in the NBA. Not saying he’ll be a busy but I don’t think he’s going to be a in that Davis/Durant tier.
I agree.

8 double-doubles for zion in 16 games.
Oshae Brissett, eight double-doubles in his first 16 games as a freshman (and one rebound short in three others), playing in a slower tempo offense.

If Antoine Walker and Charles Barkley had a baby, it'd be Zion Williamson.

He's a more athletic version of Walker without the stroke.

He's chubby and will be a rebounding machine like Sir Charles once was.
Round Mound of Rebound

Oshae Brissett, eight double-doubles in his first 16 games as a freshman (and one rebound short in three others), playing in a slower tempo offense.
and 10 more mpg.

How is it even possible that a point guard hasn't chucked up a half court shot at the end of a quarter or half?

Stats conscious guys hold the ball a split second too long so the attempt doesn’t count, so it doesn’t drag down the FG%.

He's got at least 40 to 50 pounds on just about every small forward in the NBA currently. He's bigger than most power forwards as well, and more athletic than almost all of them. His jumper and handle obviously need work, but he is an elite athlete and an elite finisher around the rim (not just dunks). To think that he won't be able to do that in the NBA is ludicrous.

Currently, there is only one player in the entire NBA who is bigger (mass) than Zion Williamson, Boban Marjonovic. He will do the same in the NBA...

I still think Chris Webber is right in that mix.

And MJ, Ewing, Ralph Sampson, Sam Bowie (had unbelievable hype for pre-internet), David Thompson, and Walton. Everybody knew about the last 2 guys even though they couldn't play varsity as freshmen.

Stats conscious guys hold the ball a split second too long so the attempt doesn’t count, so it doesn’t drag down the FG%.
That's not how that works. Half court shot like that don't count in stats, unless you make them

I think the issue is the other side of it. The reason they implemented the rule was because all sorts of kids were getting bad advice, not going to college and then not being drafted or being drafted in the 2nd round. The Lenny Cooke's of the world. There are countless other kids like Lenny. They should just put the MLB system in place but maybe do 2 years. So you would have the Zion's straight out of high school but then have a bunch of kids 2 years older that have more of a sample size to understand. This is an NBA thing not a college thing.
No. They put the rule in to protect general managers from drafting HS kids who didn't pan out. Don't think for a minute the NBA restricted the available talent pool to help kids.

That's a nice question.
Got to give Melo a lot of credit for carrying the Orange to the title.

Couple of other freshmen to consider:
Bernard King...averaged 26 points/12 rebounds
Magic...17 points/8 rebounds/7 assists

But...if freshmen were allowed to play varsity before 1972 there's no doubt the greatest scoring machine ever would be on the Mount...Pete Maravich.
Lewis Alcindor

but I don’t think he’s going to be a in that Davis/Durant tier.
That's a tough summit for any superstar college frosh to reach. If the option is perennial MVP candidate or not, I'd take "not" in a straight bet.

Currently, there is only one player in the entire NBA who is bigger (mass) than Zion Williamson, Boban Marjonovic. He will do the same in the NBA...
Kid is a perennial all-star waiting to happen. Superior athlete. Size, quickness, court awareness, deft touch around the rim, decent mid range game, developing 3 point range. He is not just a bull in a china shop.
One of few players who I may make it a point to see at the Dome. (Ewing, Mullin, Olajuwan, Iverson, etc., come to mind)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom