Bilas: "Zion Williamson is a phenomenon..." | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Bilas: "Zion Williamson is a phenomenon..."

I'm late to this discussion. I think Bilas meant he is a phenom with the way people are in awe of him physically more than anything else. We've seen tons of guys that are more skilled. At his height, I don't know that we've seen anyone that big that could get off the floor like him. He could lose a little weight, but I wouldn't put him in the round mound category. I don't think I ever saw veins popping out of Barkley's arms and shoulders the way they do Zion's. What's scary is that if he lost 10-15 lbs he would be even a little more athletic.

Last edited:
That's a tough summit for any superstar college frosh to reach. If the option is perennial MVP candidate or not, I'd take "not" in a straight bet.

Yeah I realize thats a really exclusive tier. But you'd think he was a shoo in the way hes portrayed on ESPN. He shoots 27 percent from three and most of what I see is just him Big boy-ing college players.

I mean you draft him number one because of course you do, but I just dont see it.

Quarterbacks everywhere should be thankful he decided to play basketball instead of defensive end, because I don't think he could be stopped by many o-linemen.

Oh, oh, oh...I can't believe I forgot about Trae Young. Is Zion talked about more than Trae Young was? Well, until Oklahoma started losing a lot but even then.

One of few players who I may make it a point to see at the Dome. (Ewing, Mullin, Olajuwan, Iverson, etc., come to mind)
and wayman tisdale and david robinson both destroyed us in the dome ...

Last edited:
I still think Chris Webber is right in that mix.

I was at U Mich during his time there and the the memory that stuck most with me regarding his game was how quick he was off the floor ..it’s like he was getting in his second jump while the others we’re just landing from their firsts

Quarterbacks everywhere should be thankful he decided to play basketball instead of defensive end, because I don't think he could be stopped by many o-linemen.

6’7” defensive end would have a hard time getting the necessary leverage to be dominant .. remember how low to the growing Freeney would be when he was in attack mode ?

6’7” defensive end would have a hard time getting the necessary leverage to be dominant .. remember how low to the growing Freeney would be when he was in attack mode ?

6'7" Julius Peppers would strongly disagree with that.

Nah. As someone else said Julius Peppers is 6'7". JJ Watt and Michael Strahan are both 6'5", as was Reggie White. Freeney is the exception to the rule at his height. Most guys at 6'7" just aren't explosive. Zion is physical freak that would excel at DE, if he had chosen to go that route.

I would be interested to see how good he'd be at TE.

Maybe. It's hard to believe how athletic he is for his size.

pearl's last game. robinson had 35/11/ 7 blocks. 21 of 27 from the line.

"Navy connected on 41 of 52 free-throw attempts as four Syracuse players fouled out.
However, Syracuse Coach Jim Boeheim had no complaints.
"Free throws were not a factor," Boeheim said. "We had to foul.
"The key to the game was (Vernon) Butler. We contained him earlier this season, but with Robinson going the way he was, we had to pay too much attention to him."

tisdale game was 1984. i remember i photocopied a press pass and sat with my fujica camera and a telephoto lens court side . first dome game i remember us losing. boeheim's thoughts

"What do you remember from that game?

It’s a bad memory. They came in and just kicked our butt up and down. They had a really good team. We weren’t as good as we had been. I’m trying to think of the guard that had 29 or something (Tim McCalister scored 26). Wayman was a handful. Billy Tubbs was coaching. They went up and down. We liked to go up and down, we just weren’t good enough that particular year. Not many people came into Syracuse and just run us out but they did. Wayman Tisdale was a special player. I got to know him a little bit after that on a couple different occasions. He was one of a kind. It’s hard to put an accurate reading of what he was. He was just really special. It was a tremendous loss to lose a guy like that so young.

my brother not a fan then but a tremendous long distance follower now spent the entire game partying behind the blue curtain. didn't see one basket. two empty seats in the nosebleed section.

Last edited:
Tyus could win ACC player of the week every week and Zion would still win ACC POY.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom