Bilas | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bilas

I agree. Bilas has always been a level headed guy and genuinely likes Boeheim and SU. I'm too am OK with Boeheim showing the emotion he did to some extent, but that is what sealed the fate of a team who's guards just could not generate enough offense. Bad calls happen and he just lost it. Perhaps his team will come out with some fight on Monday night. They need a little fire.

Jesus...they played well enough to win and had two critical calls blown. I felt like I was back in the freaking Georgia Dome. These refs are never consistent in their block/charge calls.

what are you talking about? he freaked out because cj made a shot and should have had a free throw to give us the lead, which was made into a charge. I reiterate, what the are you talking about?

Dude, I'm sorry but that charge call wasn't horrible. Maybe it was debatable, but it wasn't lose-your-mind horrible. I know you are very emotional right now, but come on. If you want to complain about calls, complain about the two in a row against Mike G. But, really, don't you think you should be blaming our starting backcourt being something like 4 for 18 instead of crying about Jay Freaking Bilas?

You guys are odd...it was a horsesh!t call, but JB ended it running on the court.

Unless JB just wanted to end it so there's that.
And that's exactly what JB said, too. He thought it was over after the charge call so he figured it didn't matter if he went ballistic.

By the way, I HATE that JB said the game was over down 2 with 10 seconds left. Way to justify your poor behavior and basically tell your team you didn't think they could pull it out in that situation with that quote.

Bilas was absolutely correct with his call. SU did not lose because of that call. They lost because their starting guards crapped the bed. As in did not show up!
And you wanted them to do exactly what? They were both harassed more than any time this year. I thought they played through it as well as you could expect.
As for Cooney shooting, you can't when you have somebody in your shorts even when you work your butt off to get open.

And that's exactly what JB said, too. He thought it was over after the charge call so he figured it didn't matter if he went ballistic.

By the way, I HATE that JB said the game was over down 2 with 10 seconds left. Way to justify your poor behavior and basically tell your team you didn't think they could pull it out in that situation with that quote.

He seems to be having a ball in the presser, so who knows.

The game was over after the so-called Fair charge. The rest was window dressing.
No, it wasnt' because there would be no free throws only Duke with the ball.

Odd? Are you kidding me? Your team, that just clawed its way back to possibly win the game despite FOUL trouble all game, gets jobbed - and it's odd that he blew a gasket?
Oh Lord

Well yeah I think it is odd. JB hasn't gotten T'd up in probably 5 years. He didn't get T'd up for the SUPLEX or the Ohio state game. And his actions eliminated any possibility of his team winning. A team that has shown a penchant for making winning plays in the final seconds.

Dude, I'm sorry but that charge call wasn't horrible. Maybe it was debatable, but it wasn't lose-your-mind horrible. I know you are very emotional right now, but come on. If you want to complain about calls, complain about the two in a row against Mike G. But, really, don't you think you should be blaming our starting backcourt being something like 4 for 18 instead of crying about Jay Freaking Bilas?
it was a bad call, no way around it. I don't give a damn about our backcourt, we played well enough to have a chance to take the lead at the end and it was taken away by the refs.

Well yeah I think it is odd. JB hasn't gotten T'd up in probably 5 years. He didn't get T'd up for the SUPLEX or the Ohio state game. And his actions eliminated any possibility of his team winning. A team that has shown a penchant for making winning plays in the final seconds.
Then it's odd to be human :noidea:

it was a bad call, no way around it. I don't give a damn about our backcourt, we played well enough to have a chance to take the lead at the end and it was taken away by the refs.

I just don't see it that way. Doesn't matter. I hope we get to play them again in the ACCT. this one is in the past now.

L

A culmination of calls / non-calls and then that missed call is what makes it horrible. And then to listen to Bilas, who has been whining and screaming for this exact rule change to happen, then defend the wrong call (if you think he is set before Fair begins his upward motion, you need to re watch the play a few times and/or put down the liquor) is laughable.

Not saying Boeheim didn't over react, not saying our backcourt played well, not saying Bilas was wrong in giving JB some grief. But Bilas's history with the offensive foul, and his backing the ref on a bad non-charge call is simply Duke BS.

The main problem I have with him is the block at the dome was on obvious foul. It's ok, just pick and choose Bilas. BS

It amazes me that people can let a commentator on a game push their button so much that they seem to lose their mind. They lose it because somebody does not agree with them. In the past, when Bilas was sticking up for Syracuse, everybody here thought he was the greatest.

How did you act when your Mom didn't agree that you should have another cookie?

It was absolutely a bad call. By rule, as JB eluded to, it's a block or no call...at worst (for SU) should've been 60-60, Duke ball...10 seconds left in regulation. Epic failure by Greene...

The biggest thing he wasn't getting is that a statement needed to be made. Maybe it cost us a minuscule chance at the game. Who cares it wasn't about this game it was about the next 50 games we play at Duke or elsewhere in the ACC. It was about making a statement that we are Syracuse and I am a HOF head coach and I'm not going to take that laying down.

And Bilas is dead to me now. He used to be objective when we were in the Big East but now that we play he beloved Duke he is just another BS homer. That booth was opening rooting for Duke tonight pathetic.

You can take the boy out of Duke, but you can't take the Duke out of the boy

Bias is a friend and fan of Boeheim. He told it like it was; a coach can't behave like that, particularly at a moment like that.

Just finished watching the game. Yep. Bilas was being objective. Boeheim CAN'T go nuts like that. 50/50 call. I thought a couple of calls on Rak were tough. Jefferson had some tough ones go against him. Grant got mugged. So did Hood. Parker probably charged on Gbinjie. No big problem with the calls. Boeheim though CAN'T do that.

What can be done schematically to get Cooney free?! Anyone? Other teams can surely spring their sniper free, no? Duke was solid on D on our guards though. Ennis struggled. Gbinjie did a nice job. Having more ballhandlers could help in a game like this. Still, no Roberson..sigh. Baye's hands and layup attemps...oy.

Overall, I was pleased with the effort and it didn't look like the atmosphere bothered them. If we had more guard scoring and converted more layups in the 1H then we could've had a W, perhaps. Parker and Sulaimon are GOOD. Good game and we need a good showing @Maryland Mon. More Roberson, please!

I don't know if anyone listens to Bill Simmons' podcast, but he has a bit impersonating a generic "talking head guy" spilling useless drivel. For some reason that voice pops into my head when I hear/read "Look, your coach just can't do that in that situation".
Really? Why not exactly?

Bilas or anyone else saying the technicals were bigger than the charge, are just wrong.
The difference between tied or up 1 and down 2 is a whole lot greater than the difference between down 2 and a guaranteed loss.
It's not really a matter of opinion - there's plenty of sound win probability stuff available for everyone to see. SportsCenter just said it was a 1 in 18 shot to win w/out the technicals. Granted, that's probably significant enough that I wouldn't want to forfeit a national championship game but whatever.

The biggest thing he wasn't getting is that a statement needed to be made. Maybe it cost us a minuscule chance at the game. Who cares it wasn't about this game it was about the next 50 games we play at Duke or elsewhere in the ACC. It was about making a statement that we are Syracuse and I am a HOF head coach and I'm not going to take that laying down.

Also, this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom