Bills vs Cuse | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Bills vs Cuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an idiotic assertion ... you have no idea if they would have been as good, better or worse based on needs vs who was available ... and again I ask the question which you avoided ... how many SU players were on the roster when they went to 4 straight Super Bowls? I'm not apologizing for anyone ... I told you exactly what the problem was with that franchise ... they are run by idiots its pretty simple not sure how you missed that point either. I am a fan of both SU and Buffalo ... if you have a hard-on for the fact that they don't have SU Orange on the roster that is fine but to make some wildly stupid assumptions about how they would perform by picking up Tyree in the 6th round of a draft before the Giants selected him is really stupid because you have no idea what would have happened ... none. I take the time to follow all the SU alums and watch their games when I can ... but I am not about to hop in my car and drive the hour down I-75 and become a Falcon convert because they signed Sales and Goggins to a practice squad either ... will I watch them play if I make the cut ... of course, but I'm not going to take a vested interest in the franchise either.

Tyree's one example. There are dozens. And Buffalo had a "reason" for (ignoring) all of them. That's the problem. You (and Buffalo) have lots of excuses, but you're short on wins and fans -- and of course, never an SU kid in sight. It defies the odds that this could happen randomly with an upstate NY pro team for more than 3 decades, while franchises like the Giants and Indy, both of which DID win the superbowl, have had SU kids on the roster almost every year, and sometimes several.

Nobody's claiming that SU is an inexaustible reservoir of pro talent, or that Buffalo would have won a superbowl just because they signed some UDFA from central new york. At the same time, there are lots of SU players could have been productive for Buffalo if the front office had just opened its eyes... Will Allen comes to mind here ... great career with the Giants for 8 years (and I think Miami before that, a Buffalo rival). Could he have helped the bills defensive secondary, or this that too much speculation? What about Freeney or Keith Bullock, Donovan Darius, Morlon Greenwood? Could they have played for the Bills? Chandler Jones was drafted last year, was he a "good enough" prospect to have played for the Bills? Was there a "reason" for every one of these rejections, for 30 years? Sorry, but something was wrong and I hope with the new staff things will improve.

Your note about sales and goggins also makes my point, btw. Sales is probably too slow to play in the NFL, although he was a good possession receiver for us. Goggins might surprise you. But either way, YOU'RE INTERESTED. That's what I'm saying. Having SU kids in the Falcons camp creates interest, excitement. You have someone you know about to follow.

I can't say that about Buffalo.

What an idiotic assertion ... you have no idea if they would have been as good, better or worse based on needs vs who was available ... and again I ask the question which you avoided ... how many SU players were on the roster when they went to 4 straight Super Bowls? I'm not apologizing for anyone ... I told you exactly what the problem was with that franchise ... they are run by idiots its pretty simple not sure how you missed that point either. I am a fan of both SU and Buffalo ... if you have a hard-on for the fact that they don't have SU Orange on the roster that is fine but to make some wildly stupid assumptions about how they would perform by picking up Tyree in the 6th round of a draft before the Giants selected him is really stupid because you have no idea what would have happened ... none. I take the time to follow all the SU alums and watch their games when I can ... but I am not about to hop in my car and drive the hour down I-75 and become a Falcon convert because they signed Sales and Goggins to a practice squad either ... will I watch them play if I make the cut ... of course, but I'm not going to take a vested interest in the franchise either.
Yeah, this is the kind of passion and adversarial forum discussion I like to see!
Most times on this board it's the same old same old; someone posts a thread, then everyone says oh good job, good job... Yawn...

At least all this Bills v. Cuse talk has gotten posters to express their thoughts with fire... Even if it may be that the subject is completely inane...:)

I don't mind being called an "idiot" once in awhile...:)

I started the thread because I was getting annoyed by the anti Bills sentiment I was seeing in many threads. Little did I know it would balloon into this.

All in all whether I agree with individual posts or not its been an entertaining read for the most part.

I think we can all agree it will be a relief when we can focus on camps and games again.

my god this thread has gotten worse??!!

1st of all, to assert that qadry shouldve become a bill when he was old and washed up is ridiculous.

2nd, tyree (caught 2 passes btw a TD and 'The Catch') was brought in on special teams talent alone because Fassel needed to shore them up and thought they could make a run in 03 (wow, i guess not but thanks for Eli). not many teams are in a position to do that. plus he was a collossal pot head then.

3rd, i love the Cuse will make the bills ills go away stuff. :rolling:

you guys are nuts.

Oh Lord

Absolutely. Buffalo has had a hundred chances to take an SU kid and they've spit on us for years. Simple as that. And not only have they spit on us, they suck. Go figure people are trying to blame this on SU (no disrespect to Nirvana who's usually a good poster).

Would David Tyree have helped the Bills? He was taken in the 6th round and he played spot WR minutes for the Giants. It wouldn't have been a sacrifice for the Bills to have picked him up in the later rounds. But ... as usual ... they thumbed their nose. So Tyree wound up going to another team and winning the super bowl (yes i know it was only one catch, but that catch was the game).

What about all the other SU grads, from Freeney right on down. Indianapolis, at one time, had 3 or 4 SU kids. They're in Indiana. Buffalo's down the thruway -- and they have nothing but excuses and their stands are half-full. It's pathetic.

Your obsession with this topic is really strange. I mean, really strange.

I was always under the impression that NFL scouts and front offices draft the best players available regardless of the school they're from. The relationship between NFL - college is not the same as college - high school where relationships between coaches are critical because of its importance to recruiting. There is no recruiting in the NFL. Therefore, it's all about drafting the best players.

I never knew it to be a common occurrence for local college football programs to be a farm system for NFL teams. Is it? If it is, then I understand your obsession a little more. But I never knew this to be the case. Do the Chargers often draft San Diego State players? Are players from the U drafted by the Dophins more so than any other team? Browns and Ohio State? Bengals and UC? etc. etc.

Some facts to support your disdain would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll just chalk your venom up as :crazy:

1st of all, to assert that qadry shouldve become a bill when he was old and washed up is ridiculous.

2nd, tyree (caught 2 passes btw a TD and 'The Catch') was brought in on special teams talent alone because Fassel needed to shore them up and thought they could make a run in 03 (wow, i guess not but thanks for Eli). not many teams are in a position to do that. plus he was a collossal pot head then.

you guys are nuts.

Oh Lord

Nobody is saying any of that, Kaiser. You're making your own jokes here. Maybe SU kids wouldn't have made the Bills a winning organization -- the bills have been so bad in all areas that's probably true. But I think it's fair to say that they could have contributed ... because they played well for other (mostly better) teams.

Sorry if you don't like this topic, or my posts. You can always move on to another thread. lol

Your obsession with this topic is really strange. I mean, really strange.

I was always under the impression that NFL scouts and front offices draft the best players available regardless of the school they're from. The relationship between NFL - college is not the same as college - high school where relationships between coaches are critical because of its importance to recruiting. There is no recruiting in the NFL. Therefore, it's all about drafting the best players.

I never knew it to be a common occurrence for local college football programs to be a farm system for NFL teams. Is it? If it is, then I understand your obsession a little more. But I never knew this to be the case. Do the Chargers often draft San Diego State players? Are players from the U drafted by the Dophins more so than any other team? Browns and Ohio State? Bengals and UC? etc. etc.

Some facts to support your disdain would be appreciated. Otherwise I'll just chalk your venom up as :crazy:

There's no venom or "obsession", lol. It's a sports forum, I posted my take and am defending it. That's the way it works here, sorry if that strikes you as unusual.

Nobody said SU represents a pipeline/farmteam for the Bills? Obviously, that's way out of left field. All Im saying is that it's irksome that Buffalo hasn't had an SU player on its roster for 25-30 years. That's not strange if you're an SU fan and would like someone to follow on the local pro team.

But whatever. I had my rant.

you guys are nuts.

Oh Lord

He really is ignoring the facts but whatever ... some people are just too thick to get it.

Nobody is saying any of that, Kaiser. You're making your own jokes here. Maybe SU kids wouldn't have made the Bills a winning organization -- the bills have been so bad in all areas that's probably true. But I think it's fair to say that they could have contributed ... because they played well for other (mostly better) teams.

Sorry if you don't like this topic, or my posts. You can always move on to another thread. lol

Ok so putting a guy who contributes in the place of another guy who might contribute the same effort or output makes everything all better ... you are delusional and can't stand the fact your assertion is flat out ridiculous.

Your obsession with this topic is reaLly strange. I mean, really strange.

I was always under the impression that NFL scouts and front offices draft the best players available regardless of the school they're from. The relationship between NFL - college is not the same as college - high school where relationships between coaches are critical bese of its importance to recruiting. There is no recruiting in the NFL. Therefore, it's all about drafting the best players.

It would be great to see some stats on local college players with nearby NFL teams... I'm not really that internet saavy...
The San Diego Chargers have two Aztecs on their current roster, and I believe they try their best to go with SD St and other local college talent(eg UCLA, ASU...)

Have you researched this? Just curious.

Ok so putting a guy who contributes in the place of another guy who might contribute the same effort or output makes everything all better ... you are delusional and can't stand the fact your assertion is flat out ridiculous.
Former Syracuse players should be thanking the Bills for not drafting them, it gives them a chance to succeed.

It would be great to see some stats on local college players with nearby NFL teams... I'm not really that internet saavy...
The San Diego Chargers have two Aztecs on their current roster, and I believe they try their best to go with SD St and other local college talent(eg UCLA, ASU...)
why dont you look it up comparing state schools to PRIVATE.

most states likely dont care what the Private school's alumni are doing.

why dont you look it up comparing state schools to PRIVATE.

most states likely dont care what the Private school's alumni are doing.
In 2006 New York State Legislature adopted a resolution honoring Eileen Collins. I believe she went to a private school.

Have you researched this? Just curious.
So on current rosters...
San Diego - 2 Aztecs, 1 UCLA
Pittsburgh - 2 Panthers, bunch of Nittany Lions, Mountaineer
Cincinnati - 2 Bearcats, Bobcat, Buckeyes
Miami - 2 Hurricanes, bunch of Gators
Atlanta - 2 Yellow Jackets, Bulldog
San Francisco - 2 Golden Bears, Cardinal, Fresno St. Bulldog
Oakland - Golden Bear, Cardinal, 2 Trojans(huge LA fanbase) Cal Poly
Seattle - Husky, Boise State, 2 Portland State
Arizona - 3 Sun Devils, 2 Wildcats
Houston - 3 Cougars, Baylor,
Dallas - 2 Mustangs, Baylor
Tampa Bay - 2 Bulls, FIU, 8 Scarlet Knights! Schiano!
Kansas City - Tiger, NW Missouri, SE Missouri, 2 K-St
Chicago - 2 Wildcats, Illinois, Illinois St., Eastern Illinois
St Louis - Tiger, Missouri Western

So on current rosters...

In other words...there is no correlation. Just as I thought.

In 2006 New York State Legislature adopted a resolution honoring Eileen Collins. I believe she went to a private school.
too bad she couldnt tackle or throw a block.

So on current rosters...
Tampa Bay - 2 Bulls, FIU, 8 Scarlet Knights! Schiano!

Updated List... Rutgers representing in Tampa!
2 SMU players on the Cowboys, 3 Houston Cougars on Texans?
Those programs suck and numbers are not even close...
THAT'S for 1 year, what about a list for 30yrs?

So on current rosters...

Ok Penn St is 4 hours from Buffalo, Pittsburgh is 3 hours from Buffalo and then of course Connecticut is further away but Buffalo has 2 x UConn guys, 1 x Penn State guy, 2 x Pittsburgh guys and even one kid from Mass ... some of those locations are within the same proximity as some of these "in-state" schools with respect to the pro programs ... can we just give this whole thing a rest already?

And FWIW considering the amount of talent that comes out of GA why doesn't Atlanta have more since this seems to be such a big deal? UGA and GT put out 3 x as many prospects combined as SU does, at least in the last decade anyway. And why doesn't Dallas/Houston have a bevy of kids from UT or TTU? SU is the only real D1 program in the state ... maybe the Cowboys didn't get the memo either ... its much easier when you have multiple schools to choose from ... but hey you guys can keep comparing apples and oranges. I guess that is why Carolina sucks ... they have an SU guy in Hogue and a Buffalo guy in Thomas but no UNC or Duke athletes on their roster ... or even NC St ... oh the horror ...

Updated List... Rutgers representing in Tampa!
2 SMU players on the Cowboys, 3 Houston Cougars on Texans?
Those programs suck and numbers are not even close...
THAT'S for 1 year, what about a list from 30yrs?

Yep and Tampa finished 7-9 and if you are worried about RU guys at Tampa for the sake of geographical familiarity it doesn't really help that argument does it? Also you do realize that SMU and Houston have both been ranked in the last few years and SU has not right? You do know this don't you?

Yep and Tampa finished 7-9 and if you are worried about RU guys at Tampa for the sake of geographical familiarity it doesn't really help that argument does it? Also you do realize that SMU and Houston have both been ranked in the last few years and SU has not right? You do know this don't you?
Did you miss the Schiano reference? Was it too sutle for you to make the connection to TB?
Oh, so you are saying if we had been ranked in the last few years, then there would be 2 or 3 Cuse players on Bills roster too?

Did you miss the Schiano reference? Was it too sutle for you to make the connection to TB?

it goes against the geographical argument you are making ... not that hard to figure out is it ... and again if you are going to use a team as an example don't you think you would use one that is not in a relatively weak division sporting a sub .500 record ... did I spell out clearly enough what my point was or do I need to put it down in crayon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom