BJ getting pulled after a minute | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

BJ getting pulled after a minute

rrlbees said:
Athletic ability and potential can take you a long way but doesn't get you over every hump. You do realize he was know in HS as a defensive force, not for his offensive which has been where the great transformation is.

It is pretty amazing that not having the "want it" can bring you to start as a freshman for a D1 powerhouse.

Imagine what would happen if Rak "really wanted it", man he could put up Wilt like numbers.

two3zone said:
It is pretty amazing that not having the "want it" can bring you to start as a freshman for a D1 powerhouse. Imagine what would happen if Rak "really wanted it", man he could put up Wilt like numbers.

You'll have to take up your silly argument with the coaches.

Next time you're at a DD having breakfast with a coach, let me know.

I know one D stands for Denny's, but can't for the life of me figure out the other D.

HoustonCuse said:
I know one D stands for Denny's, but can't for the life of me figure out the other D.

Lol. Denny's are big in the south aren't they?

Public words.

I get that - but JB doesn't' exactly seem terrified to publicly speak about what he sees as the truth about players. Who knows. It's not like he was speaking to Rak on his radio show so wanted to bump up his confidence.

I think coming from my perspective, which is (and always was) that Rak was severely underutilized for years, and that this type of offensive output wasn't entirely out of his reach earlier, I'm obviously going to go with JB's latest quote (because that's what I always said - and he backed it up). If you're perspective was always that he had no offensive game - well, you'll believe the "want it" argument I suppose.

Who knows why coaches say what they say - maybe the coach wanted to rationalize it at DD over breakfast. I mean, I'm sure they're not dying to admit they blew it by running a CJ Fair ISO offense with Cooney spazzing out for 40 minutes running the baseline when Rak had some of this in him.

I would say "want it" is a bit akin to saying "coaches' son" - kind of meaningless. Just another rationalization.
Also, it's not that unusual for HS centers to have low PPG outputs - even good ones. Not sure why ppl like to harp upon that statistic so much.

What did Okafor average his senior year? Embiid? Do you think either them averaged over 13 PPG? One of them? Neither of them?

rak had no game- hes worked his but off to make one -

all bj has to do is pay attention to the past and see what he can be if he listens and learns

rosconey said:
rak had no game- hes worked his but off to make one -

He did work hard, but no game? He was a mcdonalds all American and shot over 60% last year while getting no touches at all. A magic light bulb just doesn't light up and you improve that much in 7 months.

He did work hard, but no game? He was a mcdonalds all American and shot over 60% last year while getting no touches at all. A magic light bulb just doesn't light up and you improve that much in 7 months.
yes he was a mcd- and everyone cried for 3 years about how the heck that happened

and yes a magic light does come on for some - rak did nothing but dunk- now he has a soft jumper and a kinda hook thingy- and before this year he never looked comfortable being the man- that light sure as hell came on

rosconey said:
yes he was a mcd- and everyone cried for 3 years about how the heck that happened and yes a magic light does come on for some - rak did nothing but dunk- now he has a soft jumper and a kinda hook thingy- and before this year he never looked comfortable being the man- that light sure as hell came on

Never looked comfortable being "the man"? Ennis, Fair, Grant, and Cooney were higher on the scoring totem pole last year, when you get 5 touches a game it's difficult being "the man", nothing to do with comfort.

Never looked comfortable being "the man"? Ennis, Fair, Grant, and Cooney were higher on the scoring totem pole last year, when you get 5 touches a game it's difficult being "the man", nothing to do with comfort.

if he had it- one of them would have got less touch's- pretty simple

yes he was a mcd- and everyone cried for 3 years about how the heck that happened

and yes a magic light does come on for some - rak did nothing but dunk- now he has a soft jumper and a kinda hook thingy- and before this year he never looked comfortable being the man- that light sure as hell came on

I thought he showed in exhibition games, etc...going back to his Sophomore year that he had decent feel around the rim. The touches dried up though after the exhibition games. It's all speculation - obviously, but I think I was right then, and I think his game now bears that out (obviously because it reinforces my point!!!) :)

Nothing but dunk? That's an exaggeration, and he was shooting 73% from the foul line last year - he's always had decent touch for a big imo.

foul shot aint a 12-15 footer with a man in your face
maybe his mentality during the exhibitions was different than during games?

but no way he had this quality of game the last 3 years when it counted

rosconey said:
if he had it- one of them would have got less touch's- pretty simple

Might want to ask the coach about that. He has said they should have gotten the ball more. Nobody improves that much in 7 months.

I'm with you on this one. I'm sure he did work hard this summer knowing he was finally going to be rewarded with getting the ball. I don't beleive anyone can go from having very little post game to having a great post game over one summer. He showed signs last year of having a post game, he just rarely saw the ball. He was too busy setting a baseline screen for cj to come off and isolate on offense. When you rarely see the ball you just don't have confidence to succeed. Also, he didn't have the opportunity to show his offensive skill set. There were so many times last year where he fought hard to seal off his man, but no one ever looked in.

foul shot aint a 12-15 footer with a man in your face
maybe his mentality during the exhibitions was different than during games?

but no way he had this quality of game the last 3 years when it counted

He showed a nice jump hook at times last year, but Boeheim flipped out when he missed it at the buzzer against BC and said that's not what we were looking for there, or whatever.

He showed a nice jump hook at times last year, but Boeheim flipped out when he missed it at the buzzer against BC and said that's not what we were looking for there, or whatever.

I hear ya. It wasn't what they were looking for because they were obviously looking for a ISO play with Fair doing a fade away jumper with a man in his face like we saw countless times or a Ennis runner with two guys on him like we saw in Dayton. I had zero issue with the shot Rak took during that BC game.

So we're basically throwing players under the bus because how dare we criticize JB? Because 900 wins and HOF amirite?

Yeah, it has nothing to do with gameplan, or our guards. Rak's a first round draft pick and potential AA because now he just "wants it."

[QUOTE="OrangeDW, post: 1284083, member: 2458"]He showed a nice jump hook at times last year, but Boeheim flipped out when he missed it at the buzzer against BC and said that's not what we were looking for there, or whatever.[/QUOTE]

Yeah - that was a fairly shocking moment for me. JB really seemed to put that loss on his shoulders in the press conference - I think we ended up going to OT and losing. If memory serves (and it may not) Rak's shot was at the end of regulation. My argument at the time was, you never give him the ball, but you expect him to hit that jump hook at the buzzer? I thought he was saying Rak HAS to make that shot in the presser (not that he took it), but my memory could be faulty.

I seem to recall just being dazzled at the idea that he blew it after missing a short hook...the guy you won't work into the offense.

i think its time for a name change around here-

syracusedotcom feels right

other than football recruiting this place has the same stank as syracusedotcom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors