BJ Johnson | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

BJ Johnson

As another thankful reader (but infrequent poster), I also want to thank you for your updates and for being a very involved father. I think it speaks volumes about the young man coming in that he is being "raised" by his dad and not steered by "handlers" who may or may not have his best interests at heart. From one dad to another...nice job.

To both of you: keep up the good/hard work!

This is a great post. Kids with strong family influences will cause fewer problems, whether on a basketball court, or off. A handler is like Congress, out to serve themselves.

One of the main reasons why I don't care much about rankings and recruiting is that there is a reason for JB's 900+ wins. He knows what he's doing - he's had almost 40 years of picking the players he knows will be good and then coaching them. If he wants BJ in Aug of his senior year, then he feels he is a top 100 player, plain and simple.

Another reason is that it is silly to get excited about a lot of these recruits. JB identified Anthony Davis before anyone, he was in nobody's top 100. He could've had him, except for obvious reason. JB was on Nerlens Noel early and then Dakari Johnson. For a year, or two, both said we were dream schools, or were #1 at some point. Even up until a month ago, it looked good with Dakari. Then, over the wknd, average guys like us spot WWW at Dakari's game and he immediately picks UK. If average people can see the obvious connection, I don't understand how the NCAA doesn't at least dig a bit, but that's another issue.

If average people can see the obvious connection, I don't understand how the NCAA doesn't at least dig a bit, but that's another issue.
Worst part of it all, is that I believe the NCAA sees the connection, chooses not to do anything. They are vested.

BJ has already signed his LOI. So Houston you can quit fretting about #3.

Yep, I somehow was thinking he was a 2014 guy! Of course with the new transfer rules they are considering, Cal will probably be recruiting players directly off other teams' rosters.

Three things:
1. Thanks for all the insights, it's great for us couch potatos to get a glimpse inside your world.
2. Right now my favorite SU player is Jerami Grant and by all sounds of it, BJ is a similar player (long, lean, smooth, smart, great basketball pedigree, inside/outside game). I'm hugely looking forward to seeing BJ and Jerami playing together.
3. Bobby, with BJ's increasing profile, I hope you are ready for the upcoming visit of World Wide Wes and Cal with a Brinks truck of cash. They could care less about a verbal to another school, I am quite sure. Please, for ALL of us, tell them to "Get off my lawn!!" in your best grouchy old man voice.

BJ has signed already and has no intentions of breaking his committment to SU. I posed a question to him during the recruitment process about waiting to see if the UK, NC and Duke's of the world came a knocking. BJ stated that he would like to attend SU above any of them simply because of the school and program. It has always been his favorite school. No need to worry we are in it for the long hull. As for my man Wes, I've known him for 20yrs since I was playing. He does what he does and that has no effect on us. It is what it is in that respect.

BJ has signed already and has no intentions of breaking his committment to SU. I posed a question to him during the recruitment process about waiting to see if the UK, NC and Duke's of the world came a knocking. BJ stated that he would like to attend SU above any of them simply because of the school and program. It has always been his favorite school. No need to worry we are in it for the long hull. As for my man Wes, I've known him for 20yrs since I was playing. He does what he does and that has no effect on us. It is what it is in that respect.
You are going to have to quit it, or BJ is going to end up my favorite player. I am really looking forward to see him at SU. With regard to Wes, it is very frustrating that he is allowed to influence so many kids. If his motive was to help a kid selflessly, then that would be fine. But, I think we all know his intentions are not only for the benefit of the kid.

You are going to have to quit it, or BJ is going to end up my favorite player. I am really looking forward to see him at SU. With regard to Wes, it is very frustrating that he is allowed to influence so many kids. If his motive was to help a kid selflessly, then that would be fine. But, I think we all know his intentions are not only for the benefit of the kid.
I think he might already be my favorite player, and he hasn't even stepped on campus.

BJ has signed already and has no intentions of breaking his committment to SU. I posed a question to him during the recruitment process about waiting to see if the UK, NC and Duke's of the world came a knocking. BJ stated that he would like to attend SU above any of them simply because of the school and program. It has always been his favorite school. No need to worry we are in it for the long hull.
Clearly, there needs to be a "Love" button on this site.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...k_2012&state=1001&fname=match_id&fvalue=25597

BJ drops 12pts in another double digit win. Mr. Johnson, how good is BJ's teammate the young Dalembert? Is he a high-major or mid-major type of recruit?

He is a mid major type of recruit at this time. He has only been playing for 3 years. He would probably benefit at a high major as a work in progress down the road. He has vastly improved from 3 years ago when I first saw him catch a ball and shoot over the entire backboard.

3. Bobby, with BJ's increasing profile, I hope you are ready for the upcoming visit of World Wide Wes and Cal with a Brinks truck of cash. They could care less about a verbal to another school, I am quite sure. Please, for ALL of us, tell them to "Get off my lawn!!" in your best grouchy old man voice.
And turn the hose on them! Got to do it in your robe and slippers. Careful thought, any of the filth that you wash off might kill the grass.

And turn the hose on them! Got to do it in your robe and slippers. Careful thought, any of the filth that you wash off might kill the grass.

BJ signed already.

He is a mid major type of recruit at this time. He has only been playing for 3 years. He would probably benefit at a high major as a work in progress down the road. He has vastly improved from 3 years ago when I first saw him catch a ball and shoot over the entire backboard.
Can't be any worse than this 3pt attempt by Blake Griffin right lol?

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...k_2012&state=1001&fname=match_id&fvalue=26628
Light work once again, as BJ drops 16pts in another victory.

It's nice to get these updates from you and his dad. At the end of the season when you see the numbers/stats of our recruits, I sometimes wonder why they are, shall we say, less than impressive. Well I think BJ's numbers will be fine, but there is so much perspective in looking at those knowing he isn't logging a lot of minutes. He seems to get quality out of his minutes and to see them extrapolated over a full game would be jaw-dropping I suspect. Thanks for your continued efforts and insights on the recruiting front, Francis.

It's nice to get these updates from you and his dad. At the end of the season when you see the numbers/stats of our recruits, I sometimes wonder why they are, shall we say, less than impressive. Well I think BJ's numbers will be fine, but there is so much perspective in looking at those knowing he isn't logging a lot of minutes. He seems to get quality out of his minutes and to see them extrapolated over a full game would be jaw-dropping I suspect. Thanks for your continued efforts and insights on the recruiting front, Francis.

When you look at the stats of of a player and how they are generated against the level of competition, it is important to see how that player played against the stronger teams as well as the weaker teams. For instance, BJ when playing against stronger competition such as NG (#10), St. Francis (#15) at the time, St. Joes Prep averages 25pts, 11rebs and 4ast. Against league competition 16pts, 10rebs in usually about 2qtrs because the games are over in the first 10mins. BJ could pad his stats in these games if left in but to whose benefit. Is it to say that he scored 30 or 40pts in a game against some weak teams? The coach does not operate his team in that fashion since I've known about this program (with the exception of Kobe)who he coached in '96. Ok maybe he just through the ball out to him and let him go.;) I will say this though, coming down the stretch of regular season it would benefit the team as a whole for the starters to play a little longer on the floor to keep the chemistry going strong or to increase it. That would be important to do in order to when the districts and states. BJ will continue to produce quality for as long as he is on the court. It is important that a player knows how to play with other talent on the team and know how to accomplish challenges. Being able to take over a game is simple as long as you know how to play.

When you look at the stats of of a player and how they are generated against the level of competition, it is important to see how that player played against the stronger teams as well as the weaker teams. For instance, BJ when playing against stronger competition such as NG (#10), St. Francis (#15) at the time, St. Joes Prep averages 25pts, 11rebs and 4ast. Against league competition 16pts, 10rebs in usually about 2qtrs because the games are over in the first 10mins. BJ could pad his stats in these games if left in but to whose benefit. Is it to say that he scored 30 or 40pts in a game against some weak teams? The coach does not operate his team in that fashion since I've known about this program (with the exception of Kobe)who he coached in '96. Ok maybe he just through the ball out to him and let him go.;) I will say this though, coming down the stretch of regular season it would benefit the team as a whole to play a little longer to keep the chemistry going strong or to increase it. That would be important to do in order to when the districts and states. BJ will continue to produce quality for as long as he is on the court. It is important that a player knows how to play with other talent on the team and know how to accomplish challenges. Being able to take over a game is simple as long as you know how to play.

And that was exactly my point. Look at the numbers in full games when he goes against quality competition. Awesome! But they are diluted by the games when he only plays a half because they are weaker. I am not advocating he stay in when it isn't needed, but they (the statistics) significantly under-represent what BJ does and can do. That's all I'm saying. Thanks for replying!

And that was exactly my point. Look at the numbers in full games when he goes against quality competition. Awesome! But they are diluted by the games when he only plays a half because they are weaker. I am not advocating he stay in when it isn't needed, but they (the statistics) significantly under-represent what BJ does and can do. That's all I'm saying. Thanks for replying!

Yeah, I get it as well. This philosophy has its drawbacks especially from a parent's/fans perspective. I think that the stats will continue to increase as the season moves forward. But just a tidbit, the SU coaching staff did not draw interest for BJ during the HS season. It was during the summer where he played on a team where quality was the importance to the coaches. I know as a fan you want to see the better players on the floor as do I when I go to watch a game. Just know for this team to win against better teams, there is no doubt that BJ has to continue to lead his team and display his talent at the highest level or they have very little shot of winning. So that is why the rotation has to play longer in these last games despite the score.

SF from Philly attending the elite camp. Played AAU on Team Final with Rondae Jefferson, and was a name that was passed along to me last month that we could be seriously interested in if we missed out on our A-list targets. Johnson officially measured in over the summer at 6'8, 170, 6'8 wingspan. While his measurables are pretty average, having seen him twice when scouting Jefferson, he was the second best player on that team. He has good range on his shot, can handle a bit, and is a pretty good athlete. Needs to get stronger but anticipated well for steals which lead to numerous fast break points. More of a 4 yr Southerland/Fair type of player, instead of the instant high upside player that Lawrence/Roberson are.
Wingspan is something thsat Jimmy wisely pursued. Its not necessarily an attribute of height alone. When young and bipedeled my inseamwas only about 33". About the same for sleeve length making big and tall dress shirts a must. Now the emphasis is on "big".

the one question i would have with playing limited minutes, is conditioning. I assume you get him out doing sprints after the games are over. ;)

the one question i would have with playing limited minutes, is conditioning. I assume you get him out doing sprints after the games are over. ;)

They have pretty good conditioning despite the limit in minutes during some of the games. They get conditioning in practice and with trainer. They run alot in practice. They have usually outrun the better teams. Although I have have thought about having them run some sprints after some of the games.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom