BJ Transfers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

BJ Transfers

I think it's pretty obvious that this opens ups a schooly for Bryant. This whole recruitment has been way too quiet over the past two weeks. I like BJ but he has already been recruited over by Richardson, Lyndon, and Moyer. A transfer makes great sense for him. To sit out a year will only help him to mature. He is already too young for being a sophmore. JB and the staff will make sure he lands in a great place. There needs to be one more if SU plans to take Moyer and Bryant. That still means four will have to leave at the end of next year.

:(

I think he had a decent skill set, and it was just going to get better from here on. Very sad to see him go.

If he sits out a year, I wouldn't be shocked to see him put up some pretty good numbers over his final two years.

Blah.

Per reports, two Syracuse players have transferred today: B.J. Johnson and Ron Patterson. - Borzello

If he took the RS he would have been a star his last two years. It stinks, but I gotta think Temple, St. John's, Philly teams are the top of his potential list.

good luck kid but im very happy a new spot has opened up for Bryant.. bj never got it going for us...Patterson too... welcome to big time college sports

If Patterson is gone as well this makes no sense unless another is going as well and we are starting the sanctions next year. Remember Jake said the NCAA won't give us partial credit so we are better off with 13 schollys next year than 11.

I look at this as a win-win situation. Good for BJ and probably good for SU in the long run. Maybe not next year, but with limited scholarships SU will be able to use this scholarship to land a stud. I think SU recruiting might actually pick up in terms of quality. The promise of playing time can bring in better kids.

If Patterson is gone as well this makes no sense unless another is going as well and we are starting the sanctions next year. Remember Jake said the NCAA won't give us partial credit so we are better off with 13 schollys next year than 11.
I get what you're saying, but the other side of that coin is if it's better for the players. Maybe this is the best thing for BJ and Ron. Gotta respect that part of the equation.

I'll admit it - when I read the title of this thread, I got excited because it could potentially mean a spot for Bryant or Battle (down the road). We're desperate.

But wow - this is ugly. Great kid, great family, and a player that has HUGE upside. Love his athleticism, competitiveness, and his shot was only going to get more consistent. We have a numbers problem, but I really hate to see this kid go.

All the best to BJ and his Dad, who was an AWESOME poster here.

Best of luck to him, was always a fan of his and the end of the year have the doubters a glimpse of his potential.

He will do well wherever he goes. Thanks BJ and good luck, will be rooting for him.

I don't think that's the minority perspective--I think it is just unclear whether the appeal process [and associated temporary freeze in penalties] provides a loophole to squeeze him in.
As I read it, the delay in the sanctions was to accommodate the finical commitment to HS seniors. Just because somebody leaves, doesn't allow for another recruit. Also on Rochester radio, somebody into recruiting (McCalister?) says SU has NOT reached out to Thomas for a couple of weeks. They have called all of the '15 class. The verbal commitment for '16 also the 5* recruit for then. And even kids for the '17 class who SU is recruiting. The non-contact seems to indicate that SU has no room. Now with BJ transferring, plus Silent G and Cooney graduating, that gets to 10 easily so if Chris M leaves that opens the one for the 1 recruit.

I get what you're saying, but the other side of that coin is if it's better for the players. Maybe this is the best thing for BJ and Ron. Gotta respect that part of the equation.
I get that for Johnson as I think he has shown he can put the ball in the hoop at the college level. I just hope Patterson is making his own decision as well. Johnson will get a pretty good landing spot I think I don't think Patterson will get an offer from a P7 league(ACC, B1G,B12,P12,SEC,BE,AAC)

I am thinking that the one year wait to resume playing as a result BJ transferring will provide him the time to develop physically with respect to strength and that will make up for the red shirt that he should have had.
BJ was at the young end of the age spectrum for incoming freshmen and his long thin build would have benefited from some extra time to develop.

It seems that BJ's situation here at Syracuse was impeded by not being physically mature enough and it also seems like he was unable to develop the type of confidence one needs to feel to be able to perform at their best. I have always believed that he has the talent, drive and demeanor to in time become a very impactful player for the program and as much as I'm sorry to see him go I think that he will find success wherever he ends up and I will follow him for the remainder of his collegiate career.

Thank you BJ and OGBJ20 for your time here at Syracuse and know that you will always have friends/ fans here regardless of where you next lace 'em up! Good Luck!

I hear ya - but it feels like we're all trying hard to justify this.

I don't think that's the minority perspective--I think it is just unclear whether the appeal process [and associated temporary freeze in penalties] provides a loophole to squeeze him in.
if we appeal the penalties dont exist.

Best of luck to BJ. I hope I see him hitting a winning 3 point shot in next years NCAA tournament. I hope transferring for him is as successful as it was for Bbinije and that BJ makes a huge impact somewhere.
OGBJ20 thanks for all of your insight and updates and always being open with us. Please don't be a stranger and let us know how BJ is doing. Many of us on here really care. I was so excited by the role he finally got to play for us in the past few games. Sorry to see him go.

He wasn't going to get a lot of minutes anyway, best of luck to BJ wherever he lands.

As I read it, the delay in the sanctions was to accommodate the finical commitment to HS seniors. Just because somebody leaves, doesn't allow for another recruit. Also on Rochester radio, somebody into recruiting (McCalister?) says SU has NOT reached out to Thomas for a couple of weeks. They have called all of the '15 class. The verbal commitment for '16 also the 5* recruit for then. And even kids for the '17 class who SU is recruiting. The non-contact seems to indicate that SU has no room. Now with BJ transferring, plus Silent G and Cooney graduating, that gets to 10 easily so if Chris M leaves that opens the one for the 1 recruit.

That's how I read the sanction, too. But the loophole appears to be that the penalties go into temporary deferrment during the appeal process, which could drag out into June / July. And now that we have two open vacancies for next year, there is nothing to prevent us from filling one of those open roster spots--AGAIN, if the penalties are temporarily suspended during the appeals process.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. There is no doubt in my mind that the NCAA specifically phrased that particular sanction in an attempt to prevent us from landing another highly touted recruit [in this case, Bryant]. Zero doubt, given how it was phrased. But the appeals process might work against the intent of the sanction in that regard. By the time the appeal is resolved, we could have Bryant also on LOI, and then defer the penalty to 2016-2017.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom