BJ Transfers | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

BJ Transfers

No I don't, Richardson is one of our best recruits that we've had come in. Again, I'm not predicting anything from him, I'm just saying it's not hard to replicate what we've lost in Buss and BJ, the numbers show that.

FWIW, Richardson is the #19 recruit, BJ was 82 so he isn't supposed to be as good as BJ, he is rated far far higher. Franklin Howard would be more of a comparison.

UsLngL3.jpg

I certainly hope you are right. I'll believe when I see it in the regular season. Am I to believe Cooney will be sitting so this young man can play?

he was still getting the quick hook the 5 of the last 10 games

He had two games all season where he shot better than a 1/3 clip from the outside. He played 13 games where he played 10+ minutes, he had 10 games with 18+ minutes, he had 7 games with 30+ minutes. TWO games shooting better than a 1/3 clip, I'm not crapping out on but you guys are making it sound like we're losing a Brady Heslip type shooter and we're not.

I certainly hope you are right. I'll believe when I see it in the regular season. Am I to believe Cooney will be sitting so this young man can play?

I'm sure Cooney won't be playing 40 minutes a game anymore. If Richardson does get time at the three I'm sure he'll spell Cooney, G and KJ (when G plays the 1 on offense) and probably get 12/17 minutes a game. Could end up being more, who knows. I'm not saying he is going to shoot 45%, but it shouldn't be hard to hit 26%.

He had two games all season where he shot better than a 1/3 clip from the outside. He played 13 games where he played 10+ minutes, he had 10 games with 18+ minutes, he had 7 games with 30+ minutes. TWO games shooting better than a 1/3 clip, I'm not crapping out on but you guys are making it sound like we're losing a Brady Heslip type shooter and we're not.

No we aren't. Just someone with actual game experience, actual experience playing (and screwing up but starting to figure it out) the zone, and someone who had a very nice looking shot. I can't remember anyone turning the net inside out as much as him.

I'm sure Cooney won't be playing 40 minutes a game anymore. If Richardson does get time at the three I'm sure he'll spell Cooney, G and KJ (when G plays the 1 on offense) and probably get 12/17 minutes a game. Could end up being more, who knows. I'm not saying he is going to shoot 45%, but it shouldn't be hard to hit 26%.

He's listed as a two. Why are we expecting an even smaller guy (than BJ and G) to play the 3?

He's listed as a two. Why are we expecting an even smaller guy (than BJ and G) to play the 3?

I said the same thing, ribees said he's going to play some three.

Even if he doesn't play any three at all, he can probably get 8 minutes from Cooney a game, and 10 from KJ while G plays the 1. He'll get plenty IMO.

CuseFaninVT said:

Malachi played the 3 this season.

Yes, it was high school. But that's where he played.

No I don't, Richardson is one of our best recruits that we've had come in. Again, I'm not predicting anything from him, I'm just saying it's not hard to replicate what we've lost in Buss and BJ, the numbers show that.

FWIW, Richardson is the #19 recruit, BJ was 82 so he isn't supposed to be as good as BJ, he is rated far far higher. Franklin Howard would be more of a comparison.

UsLngL3.jpg

I expect Malachi to come in and be the sixth man/scorer off the bench next year now. Also Lydon is a shooter to from the forward spot as well. When Malachi comes in, he will play the two or three on offense, with G moving to PG, if the plan is for Joseph still to start.

Also we've had freshman other than Gmac shoot it well from three although with not the same volume. Triche, Flynn, and Devo specifically come to mind.

I said he's a good shooter and that he shot 36% in games with 4 or more shots.

i don't know what you're talking about with brady heslip

I agree. We won't sign another player this year and just have 11 on scholarship next year. All this does is gets us a spot for Moyer and Battle IF McCullough leaves after next year. After next year, there are not issues going forward.
How did you get to 11? 9 were returning (G, Cooney, Coleman, McCullough, Roberson, Paterson, Johnson, Joseph, Obokoh) plus 4 freshman = 13. Now with BJ leaving, that's 8 plus 4 = 12. If McCullough leaves after 2016, then with the two seniors leaving, that would get the roster to 9 allowing for 1 incoming freshman based on the sanctions. If there is a change in sanctions or Coleman leaves, then there is room for Battle.

How did you get to 11? 9 were returning (G, Cooney, Coleman, McCullough, Roberson, Paterson, Johnson, Joseph, Obokoh) plus 4 freshman = 13. Now with BJ leaving, that's 8 plus 4 = 12. If McCullough leaves after 2016, then with the two seniors leaving, that would get the roster to 9 allowing for 1 incoming freshman based on the sanctions. If there is a change in sanctions or Coleman leaves, then there is room for Battle.

Patterson is also transferring

I hope everyone realizes that BJ and Malachi are basically the same age. If BJ had been held back a few years, where do you think he would be rated?

I understand why this happened, but BJ had real potential.

I hope everyone realizes that BJ and Malachi are basically the same age. If BJ had been held back a few years, where do you think he would be rated?

Unfortunately it doesn't matter what their ages are, you don't get bonus or style points if they're younger.

Gotta agree CuseinVT unless there is an obvious need or you have JB tenure you sit as a Freshman. JB is going to have to give more players a longer leash. I hope Richardson gets plenty of minutes at SG as we have been inconsistent at that position since DW left.

UsLngL3.jpg

Exactly, as much as I like BJ and think he has potential, he was a project from the beginning. Malachi is an All-American for a reason, he will at worst be a solid contributor. I think it is naive to think that were trading same caliber of players with BJ to MR. I would like to note however, that I am in the camp that wishes BJ was still here.

I have been a HUGE BJ proponent since the kid signed. Sorry to see him go, and wish him [and his father] the best wherever he ends up.

Wouldn't remotely surprise me to see him go to a Big 5 school, and after a transfer redshirt year [where he has a chance to have his physique catch up to the level of his athleticism] to see him average 17 / 8 / 3 / 2 / 1 as a versatile force on both ends.
Could not agree more. People forget he is roughly the same age as Malachai Richardson. (born 12/95 vs. 1/96) after a year off from transfer continuing to work on his game and physically mature he will be a beast.

Exactly, as much as I like BJ and think he has potential, he was a project from the beginning. Malachi is an All-American for a reason, he will at worst be a solid contributor. I think it is naive to think that were trading same caliber of players with BJ to MR. I would like to note however, that I am in the camp that wishes BJ was still here.
I'm thinking Cmac is going to be our surprise from the perimeter next year.

Don't get this comparison. If BJ didn't transfer, he would be riding pine to Malachi.

Malachi hit 5 threes in his championship game. We need someone who can hit 3's under pressure and when it counts.

I am sure my opinion won't be very well received but it isn't offered with animosity. Although I wish BJ and Ron the best wherever they end up, I do not believe either one will be more than an average player. Maybe BJ will physically mature and develop and be difference maker. I hope so, he seems like a great kid. Best of luck to them both and I hope they prove me wrong.

I would like to thank orange nation for allowing us into their family. It was a great opportunity for BJ that didn't go as planned. We are always going to do what is best for him and his leaving the CUSE although very a difficult decision to make is the best thing for him moving forward. He will be approx 2yrs older and 20pds thicker with two years of eligibility left when he steps on the floor again to play in a game. It was great conversing with you'll on the board and meeting a few folks in person during games. I wish the team and coaching staff all the best.
Thanks for sharing your insight along the way, sir. You've been a class act throughout. Best of luck to BJ wherever he lands.

I am sure my opinion won't be very well received but it isn't offered with animosity. Although I wish BJ and Ron the best wherever they end up, I do not believe either one will be more than an average player. Maybe BJ will physically mature and develop and be difference maker. I hope so, he seems like a great kid. Best of luck to them both and I hope they prove me wrong.
He is 19. 19. (BJ)
One day, we will regret him not having finished here.

I like Ron too.
I like them both, and wish them well. Bottom line, these are transfers that make sense. Ron can start at a different level; with a year to get stronger, BJ can be a scorer for a good program. All for the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom