Bobby Acosta new TE coach... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Bobby Acosta new TE coach...

The other hire was a very curious selection. What is it you don't understand about that?

I give the head coach of the program, the one who's @ss is on the line if a hire goes poorly, the benefit of the doubt.

I don't pretend to know how to put together a coaching staff, nor do I know what Shafer's long-term strategy might be.

He didn't hire a guy who was teaching 6th grade math.

I'm all in, one thing I don't get worked up about anymore is the hiring of position coaches as if I have any idea how good these guys actually are at their jobs of coaching and recruiting.

Yup. Ultimately the vast majority of these assistants are competent. A few will be great, a few will be dogs, and the rest are in the middle. Basically just like all the teachers or bosses all of us have had. It's not worth stressing over.

I give the head coach of the program, the one who's @ss is on the line if a hire goes poorly, the benefit of the doubt.

I don't pretend to know how to put together a coaching staff, nor do I know what Shafer's long-term strategy might be.

He didn't hire a guy who was teaching 6th grade math.

Everyone should look at the respective employment, what they do everyday and ask if they are in the business of hiring if they make common practive of hiring someone who they feel can't help their organization. That said, some hires work, some don't. I like motivated, positive, hardworking people who want to be part of a team over a someone that got canned from their last job. A person looking for a challenge, willing to take a risk over some journeyman. Just me.

Great Hire. Just to add, Its obvious that Shafer likes guys he knows and has chemistry with but in addition to that, he seems to believe in D3 coaches that pay their dues. I was a D3 player myself. The coaches at that level are not paid much, but they coach you hard despite that, they have the best relationships with h.s. coaches and players because they have the most contact with them. D1 head coaches are only allowed a certain amount of contact. There are alot of great D3 coaches that are just waiting for a shot.

Great Hire. Just to add, Its obvious that Shafer likes guys he knows and has chemistry with but in addition to that, he seems to believe in D3 coaches that pay their dues. I was a D3 player myself. The coaches at that level are not paid much, but they coach you hard despite that, they have the best relationships with h.s. coaches and players because they have the most contact with them. D1 head coaches are only allowed a certain amount of contact. There are alot of great D3 coaches that are just waiting for a shot.

Agree with this wholeheartedly and I don't think a D3 coach's contacts can be understated - particularly in the local area.

Was critical (and still am) of the Adam hire, but this one is a home run.

Hired recruiter, for sure. Realistically, how many tight ends is he going to have to manage? Not many.

Love it.

So Staff is.

HC: Shafer
OC/WR: McDonald
DC: Bullough
QB: Lester
RB: Smith (for now)
TE: Acosta
OL: Adam
DL: Daoust
LB: Lea
DB: Reed

Did I miss anything? Solid staff. Special shoutouts for White and Dial, the crucial recruiting help.

Shafer was smart enough to announce the OL coach first, and this guy second.

He knows us better than we know ourselves, hardnosed son of a b!tch that he is.
I think you are right!

As a Division 3 Head Coach you don't have as many assistants, grad students running around, so you would have to have hands on experience at all positions as Head Coach.

According to whom?

I'll throw in with HCSS on this one since I'm sure he knows far more about Adam than you do.

I just happen to have Joe Adam right here. He read your post and said, "RMH knows nothing of my work. How he got to post a comment anywhere about anything is amazing!

I would not be surprised to see Acosta eventually take over WRs. I would also not be surprised if Adam takes on Special Teams. These two guys are versatile, young, have leadership experience and are probably hungry for this opportunity. HCSS has the tools he wants to build this team. My only complaint is that fall is so far away!

I just happen to have Joe Adam right here. He read your post and said, "RMH knows nothing of my work. How he got to post a comment anywhere about anything is amazing!
Cute...recess is over get back to class.

The other nice thing is both new coaches have some head coaching experience. It might be just one season but it still helps understand a team as a whole.

Somebody mentioned it earlier what ever happened to JErseyOrange?
looks like no posts since a comment about Marrone leaving probably to the NFL last January. and a comment about Sharmkos pro day run and a comment about WR in Oct.. very quiet.

Just a little tidbit, my college coach at Alfred U, was the head coach at Cortland way back in the day. One of his hires was a GA named Doug Marrone. I'm excited about this hire.

This seems like a really good hire. NJ connections at multiple levels. Really good, outside of the box, hire by Shafer and GMcD

Yup. Ultimately the vast majority of these assistants are competent. A few will be great, a few will be dogs, and the rest are in the middle. Basically just like all the teachers or bosses all of us have had. It's not worth stressing over.

Totally agree. That's why i'd want almost all of the hires to be respected recruiters.

who was the other big jersey guy that posted here all the time? i know he was the one that brought up the Moore stuff initially.

awesome.png
Hire

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom