Boeheim “you can’t criticize if you aren’t here” | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim “you can’t criticize if you aren’t here”

We are a boring slow team to watch if we aren’t ranked highly we not get full houses for teams like BC anymore.

Did we even have a dunk today?
Yes. Mintz and fast break

There are definitely things you can’t appreciate on TV that you can in person, but only if you’re sitting really close to game play. I’ve noticed through the years that some players seem much more athletic in real life than on TV (Todd Burgan , prime James harden) ) while others seem similar on both. When you see a guy who seems to be able to finish and score more than you think he should, they generally are of the former type.

I didn’t really see Moten in person that I can recall (I was away at college during his time ) but I’m assuming he was one of those sneaky athletic dudes too

There are definitely things you can’t appreciate on TV that you can in person, but only if you’re sitting really close to game play. I’ve noticed through the years that some players seem much more athletic in real life than on TV (Todd Burgan , prime James harden) ) while others seem similar on both. When you see a guy who seems to be able to finish and score more than you think he should, they generally are of the former type.

I didn’t really see Moten in person that I can recall (I was away at college during his time ) but I’m assuming he was one of those sneaky athletic dudes too
Perfect point with poetry

I am defiantly going to miss Jimmy when he stops coaching, does he know how to throw out a soundbite or what?

I don’t see it. However for my sanity and that Hulk’s takes after reading that thread completely I am okay with not seeing it.
That board keeps an invisibility cloak on.

I get what he's saying, but it was probably not the best choice of words. He's doing his best to protect the kids from the outside noise.

Based upon the season, I am not sure how much praise “best forward” really is.

Real fans still go and yes we had a dunk.
That’s pretty judgmental. First of all, what is a “real fan?” I had a guy behind me who criticized Forth every minute; many times Forth wasn’t even in the game. This guy paid his money and was in the stands, but couldn’t even follow the substitutions and flow of play. However, he’s a real fan by your definition.
Lots of “real” fans can’t go, for a myriad of reasons, such health, age, infirmity, they are a care giver, work, money, etc.)
Heck, my dad can’t go to his long time church because he has to climb a few stairs. He sure as heck can’t go to the Dome.

I think hes said been is our best forward and then said Copeland has been the best player in practice.

That said, I love how this message board gets under his skin. Someone tell him we are all irrational but were also the people who love the team the most.
I will give Jimmy a lot of credit for trying different combos and giving players an opportunity trying to find effective combos.

That being said, it seems like Cope has gotten fewer opportunities than the others.

How do we reconcile that with his supposedly being the best practice player ??

It was easy 20 years ago to get behind a team. You watched the kids for 3-4 years and they could be coached up. Now, by the time a kid develops and you start to get excited about him….he’s gone.
This is the way. It’s why Jay Wright quit. Someone told me Purdue is good this year because they have upperclassmen who have stuck around. We will have constant instability for the next few years, and maybe college basketball will never settle down and be the product it once was. :(

This is the way. It’s why Jay Wright quit. Someone told me Purdue is good this year because they have upperclassmen who have stuck around. We will have constant instability for the next few years, and maybe college basketball will never settle down and be the product it once was. :(
Purdue has made the NCAA tournament 7 of the last 8 years and finished the season in the top 20 every single one of those 7 seasons.

I do agree with your point but Syracuse has been rebuilding or muddling in the middle during that same time period.

Our kids who stick around for 1 good year in 3 seasons isn’t how college basketball programs should be run unless they don’t have an interest in being sustained good.

Our problem is Coach Boeheim wanted to coach his son and didn’t go all out to make his son who has a really good player have a balanced team. Instead we ran with what made the Coach comfortable. We were doing exactly what you were saying during that time period and by the time we got to his senior year we had a losing season.

When Coach retires we will be fine as long as we hire the right coach. The next coach will use the portal and mix and match with HS recruits. It won’t change until Coach Boeheim retires.

Purdue has made the NCAA tournament 7 of the last 8 years and finished the season in the top 20 every single one of those 7 seasons.

I do agree with your point but Syracuse has been rebuilding or muddling in the middle during that same time period.

Our kids who stick around for 1 good year in 3 seasons isn’t how college basketball programs should be run unless they don’t have an interest in being sustained good.

Our problem is Coach Boeheim wanted to coach his son and didn’t go all out to make his son who has a really good player have a balanced team. Instead we ran with what made the Coach comfortable. We were doing exactly what you were saying during that time period and by the time we got to his senior year we had a losing season.

When Coach retires we will be fine as long as we hire the right coach. The next coach will use the portal and mix and match with HS recruits. It won’t change until Coach Boeheim retires.
Or they turn into Louisville and drop to bottom of the barrel

Finding the “right” coach is not as easy as walking into a store and buying one of the shelf. Pretending anyone can plug and play in the this new college basketball atmosphere is asking for disappointment.

Finding the “right” coach is not as easy as walking into a store and buying one of the shelf. Pretending anyone can plug and play in the this new college basketball atmosphere is asking for disappointment.
Louisville will be fine overall. They spend money and fanbase cares.
If you told me the wheels would come off for one year but we will have reason for optimism I would be fine. This last decade of basketball at Syracuse has been very frustrating.

Jim Boeheim isn’t the only coach who can get the job done for Syracuse basketball.

Losing season = bottom of the barrel to me.

Louisville will be fine overall. They spend money and fanbase cares.
If you told me the wheels would come off for one year but we will have reason for optimism I would be fine. This last decade of basketball at Syracuse has been very frustrating.

Jim Boeheim isn’t the only coach who can get the job done for Syracuse basketball.
One year? They’re starting their Syracuse slide, just it’s 5x faster. Two losing seasons in a row, likely 1 with less than 10 wins, even with all their talent? That because they didn’t hire the right coach. I’m not saying JB is the only one who can get it done, I’m saying the right coach won’t just be anyone off the shelf.

Well, imagine only winning 6-7 games like Louisville is about too
Imagine being scared we’ll be one of the 6-7 instead of thinking “this could be a game that Carey gets 15 minutes!”

Long term I think we’ll both be back.

Louisville hit a rough patch and had some losing seasons late in Crum’s tenure. They came back because they didn’t screw around, and just hired the best coach available.

One year? They’re starting their Syracuse slide, just it’s 5x faster. Two losing seasons in a row, likely 1 with less than 10 wins, even with all their talent? That because they didn’t hire the right coach. I’m not saying JB is the only one who can get it done, I’m saying the right coach won’t just be anyone off the shelf.
No way. Louisville will be fine. If Kenny Payne sucks Louisville by next season they will fire him and will hire a good coach. Louisville doesn’t have talent on its roster. They literally don’t have a PG. The program behaves like an SEC program. They won’t tolerate being down for long. Of course they are having consecutive losing seasons they fired HC mid season last year and Payne didn’t bring in enough talent.

Louisville isn’t Syracuse. They pushed Crum out for Pitino. Crum was having losing seasons at the end but he won them 2 NCs and Louisville pushed him out.
Syracuse didn’t do that to Coach Boeheim and won’t do that.

Louisville basketball isn’t going to slide for long. They care.

Should be noted that Louisville hired a career long assistant and alum….

Syracuse fans have been spoiled for a real long time. We will have a new coach in a year or two and people need to temper their expectations (good and bad). I would never in a million years expect the Louisville scenario to happen, but with no recruits signed up for next season, the very small possibility could exist. I'm sure Louisville thought Kenny Payne was a good hire and no one visualized their current demise.

I’m going to defend JB here a bit. First of all, Benny reminds me of a typical freshman that we’ve seen for 40 years. Often times they just don’t come in understanding the speed of the game and how to contribute. That was Benny last year. He’s getting better, he’s just going to need time. 15 years ago Benny wouldn’t sniff the floor because he’d have too much talent in front of him. We’re just seeing the sausage getting made now because the game is changed.

If you take a look at John Bol Ajak, and watch him play, you see somebody who clearly understands what we’re trying to do in knows where to be. The problem with him is that he just doesn’t have a talent of Benny Williams.

Benny on the other hand has all kinds of talent, but he doesn’t have the experience of being in a program for four years like Ajak.

If you combine Benny with Ajak, that is what Coach is looking for. Benny is just not translating his practice performance to the game.

Whether it’s effort or confidence, or whatever, there’s just a tremendous amount of upside with Benny.

Imagine being scared we’ll be one of the 6-7 instead of thinking “this could be a game that Carey gets 15 minutes!”

Long term I think we’ll both be back.

Louisville hit a rough patch and had some losing seasons late in Crum’s tenure. They came back because they didn’t screw around, and just hired the best coach available.
Who is scared of losing to Louisville?

And is a pitino hire the standard or the exception? So far they’re 0-2 since he was pushed out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom