Boeheim Playing The Blame Game Once Again | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim Playing The Blame Game Once Again

Did he give his honest assessment on Cooney airballing 2 threes and missing every open look all game?

Come on. Cooney got fouled on one of those.

I love Tyler, but I couldn't believe he took that shot. If he took it to the rim, we might have won the game.

we neither. i was pissed he took the shot too, but i'm not throwing an 18 year old kid who single handily brought you back right under the bus

Jeremy Ryan ‏@JeremyRyan44 13m
Boeheim: I don't know why he (Ennis) settled for jumpshots. The play was to go to the rim.

I'm getting really sick of this, how about you take some responsibility for once?
Boeheim coached this kid to slow down and peel on fast breaks all year. Why the change of heart now. Maybe old age is finally catching up with him?

He played every minute - he could have just been going on emotion at that point and saw he was wide open. We knew before the season the lack of a backup PG could be a problem. TE was played into the ground.
The NBA is 82 games not counting playoffs.

Boeheim: I don't know why he (Ennis) settled for jumpshots. The play was to go to the rim.

I'm getting really sick of this, how about you take some responsibility for once?

I'm not denying that he said these words but did you see/hear the whole discussion?
Isn't it possible that Jeremy Ryan (I don't know who he is) is cherry picking words?

How about recruiting maybe ONE consistent shooter? How about having a bench that goes deeper than two guys? How about we get a big guy who can actually score? How about we not play our two best players 40 minutes a game?
ONE GUY TONIGHT

Jeremy Ryan ‏@JeremyRyan44 16m
Boeheim: All of Tyler's jump shots were good. He was open, he just wasn't making them.

WAER Sports ‏@WAERSports 20m
Boeheim: I have no problem with Ennis' last shot.

Syracuse Basketball ‏@syrbasketball 23m
The last shot was the right shot. You don't have time to get to basket

These are much different quotes than the op. if this is what he said, it is right on.

Come on. Cooney got fouled on one of those.

Fair enough.
My point was more it's pretty unfair to question the 1 kid who came to play and put us in position to win. Granted, Ennis also missed every open look as well from 3.

Jeremy Ryan ‏@JeremyRyan44 16m
Boeheim: All of Tyler's jump shots were good. He was open, he just wasn't making them.

WAER Sports ‏@WAERSports 20m
Boeheim: I have no problem with Ennis' last shot.

Syracuse Basketball ‏@syrbasketball 23m
The last shot was the right shot. You don't have time to get to basket

I believe there was almost 3 seconds left on the clock when he pulled up. There was plenty of time to get to the rim.

Is he wrong?
He is the coach. He sets the strategy with respect to what the team and more specifically, what players do when faced with certain situations. If players are not executing the play or plays that are called for within the context of how the head coach as instructed them then it begs the question, "Why not?"

There are many things that are enigmatic with respect to this years team and it's players. How can a coaching staff not make progress with a 3 year starting center as to how to stay out of foul trouble and to discern the difference between a blocked shot and a goal tend? Somehow you must communicate to that player that blocked shots are great but if you chronically compromise your ability to stay in the game you are not doing yourself or your TEAM any favors.

But let's face it. The real problem and reason that this team tanked at the end of the season was a sustained teamwide epidemic of horrible shooting. They missed every conceivable type of shot in the game. The floaters, the layups, the 3 point shots. The dunks, the short chippies, the mid range jumpers.

And the ones that should have absolutely been made seemed to find a way to bounce around the rim and the backboard and carom away most often into the hands of the opposing team. And then the other shots which were ill conceived and made under duress were often so far off the mark that it was hard to distinguish whether they were air balls or just bad passes.

After the 2nd Duke game. We stunk the place up with respect to shooting. They simply could not score. I don't know about other people but it became very hard to watch this team this past month. It began to be apparent that nothing was going to turn this team around. They had taken an exit off the college basketball turnpike that there just was no place to turn around.

I feel bad for CJ. It must have been awful for him to watch this season disintegrate the way it did. And Baye too. Especially the fact that he was publicly chastised by JB on more than one occasion.

Which gets me back to the original point. Yes, some people are certainly within the bounds of reason to hold JB culpable for some of what happened with this team toward the end of the season. I think a lot of people will long remember the tirade at the end of the Duke game as the catalyst which initiated this teams turning in the opposite direction. A coach should never inhibit the chances for his team to win a game and on that day JB did just that. The result after that incident speaks for itself.

Fair enough.
My point was more it's pretty unfair to question the 1 kid who came to play and put us in position to win. Granted, Ennis also missed every open look as well from 3.

Agreed.

JB did his usual great job.

The team was flawed.

Part of the reason the team is flawed is of who is on the team. When you recruit bigs to play in a zone you frequently get a one dimensional player like Rak, Baye, Forth, Fab. It changes how teams play defense against us b/c we don't have an inside offesnive presence. We seldom have a deep bench. Notice how Dayton went 8-9 deep. Foul trouble isn't so bad. I realize some of this also has to do with Coleman's injury but he brings little more offense to the table. If that is how we are going to recruit bigs we better have 2-3 lighs out shooters on the team and right now we have none.

The second to last shot was not the look SU needed, but like anomander said Boeheim doesn't need to make that comment. Hard to believe a college basketball team in 2014 played 40 minutes without making one 3-pointer.

I have no problem with him saying that because he's right, and I thought the same thing, given how the previous few plays had gone and the fact there was so much time left on the clock. At the same time, I agree with you that he needs to take responsibility, because we shouldn't be in that situation in the first place. With 38 seconds to go in the game we hadn't broken 50 against an 11 seed. That's horrible. Somehow teams with less talent find ways to score with scheme. Why can't we do that? That's certainly on JB.

The NBA is 82 games not counting playoffs.
Who is starting for in the NBA? I can sit on the bench for at least 83 games! By the time Ennius brings the ball up court there will only be13 seconds left on the clock. The only time he goes north south is last 4 minutes of a game.

Part of the reason the team is flawed is of who is on the team. When you recruit bigs to play in a zone you frequently get a one dimensional player like Rak, Baye, Forth, Fab. It changes how teams play defense against us b/c we don't have an inside offesnive presence. We seldom have a deep bench. Notice how Dayton went 8-9 deep. Foul trouble isn't so bad. I realize some of this also has to do with Coleman's injury but he brings little more offense to the table. If that is how we are going to recruit bigs we better have 2-3 lighs out shooters on the team and right now we have none.

What teams have 2 or 3 lights out shooters?

Try and be realistic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom