Boeheim Playing The Blame Game Once Again | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim Playing The Blame Game Once Again

Ennis made his first freshman mistake in his last game in Orange. It's a pity for sure. That shot was absolutely the wrong move at the wrong time. But how can you really get on the kid, he kept us in the game late. This game was an epic disaster from the opening tip. What can you say?

cuseguy said:
This, sadly, is the bottom line and all we'll hear for the next year.

I love JB for his regular season winning percentage and his post-game pressers. But not much else. This program has terribly underachieved.
Lol

This, sadly, is the bottom line and all we'll hear for the next year.

I love JB for his regular season winning percentage and his post-game pressers. But not much else. This program has terribly underachieved.
The way we have shot the ball the since Feb 1, I would call this par for the course. Everytime I saw the vegas line this month I laughed and took the dog. We werent going to go anywhere not scoring. By seed, yeah we underachieved. As Kenny Smith has said in all the pregame shows for CBS, take the name off the jersey and look at the players...we dont have them.

Watch a replay. Maybe Ennis was supposed to go the rim but it would have been nice for Christmas to come up high to set a screen or move off to the side and position himself for a rebound. Instead he was right in the center of the lane clogging up the action and making it more difficult for Ennis to drive to the hole.

Ennis had 2 clean looks. He should have drove it the the first time but it was a decent look; I trust the kid in that situation he just missed. No issues from me.

Ennis made his first freshman mistake in his last game in Orange. It's a pity for sure. That shot was absolutely the wrong move at the wrong time. But how can you really get on the kid, he kept us in the game late. This game was an epic disaster from the opening tip. What can you say?

Eh, under two minutes left he had an atrocious turnover with us down 1 that led to the run out that put us down 3.

He took two bad jumpers in the last 25 seconds.

Committed a stupid foul when we had a chance to double on the press while we were down three.

And, on the replay, it was pretty clear there was absolutely no contact on that one drive where he airballed the shot. It wasn't like he was out of control phenomenal down the stretch. I don't know.

JB did his usual great job.

The team was flawed.

Team was flawed as most teams are flawed - but after the Duke game something happened to this team and he did not get them back on track. The coach has to take some responsibility for a 2 - 6 finish to the year.

These are much different quotes than the op. if this is what he said, it is right on.
He pretty much out of nowhere brought it up and criticized the shot with 12 seconds left. Then repeated the criticism. "I don't know why he took it" then went on about the reasons why it was a bad idea. He wasn't wrong but most coaches wouldn't have done that. I wish he didn't do that sort of thing but he does.

Eh, under two minutes left he had an atrocious turnover with us down 1 that led to the run out that put us down 3.

Committed a stupid foul when we had a chance to double on the press while we were down three.

And, on the replay, it was pretty clear there was absolutely no contact on that one drive where he airballed the shot. It wasn't like he was out of control phenomenal down the stretch. I don't know.

He also lost control of a makeable layup from the left side late in the game.

Part of the reason the team is flawed is of who is on the team. When you recruit bigs to play in a zone you frequently get a one dimensional player like Rak, Baye, Forth, Fab. It changes how teams play defense against us b/c we don't have an inside offesnive presence. We seldom have a deep bench. Notice how Dayton went 8-9 deep. Foul trouble isn't so bad. I realize some of this also has to do with Coleman's injury but he brings little more offense to the table. If that is how we are going to recruit bigs we better have 2-3 lighs out shooters on the team and right now we have none.
Teams like Dayton are deep because you have player
I have no problem with him saying that because he's right, and I thought the same thing, given how the previous few plays had gone and the fact there was so much time left on the clock. At the same time, I agree with you that he needs to take responsibility, because we shouldn't be in that situation in the first place. With 38 seconds to go in the game we hadn't broken 50 against an 11 seed. That's horrible. Somehow teams with less talent find ways to score with scheme. Why can't we do that? That's certainly on JB.

You mean like how we stole a couple of games earlier in the season. We got more than our fair share of stolen games.

Those aren't freshman mistakes, they are bad plays. This was a poor decision, which is what I mean by freshman mistake.

Team was flawed as most teams are flawed - but after the Duke game something happened to this team and he did not get them back on track. The coach has to take some responsibility for a 2 - 6 finish to the year.

Like the injury to Grant? Like Cooney failing to make threes? Other than the UVA game…felt like SU was in a position to win…despite not being a great offensive team.

Like the injury to Grant? Like Cooney failing to make threes? Other than the UVA game…felt like SU was in a position to win…despite not being a great offensive team.

Do you think Syracuse is the only team with injuries? They lost to Boston College and Georgia Tech at home at the end of the season, lost in the first round of the ACC tourney and basically lost a home game in the tourney with all those guys there. I'm not saying it's all on JB, but when this team showed signs of being broken he lost them along the way. As flawed as this team was, this is not the way this team should have ended the season.

Season 3-pt shooting %

Syracuse:
Cooney 38.1%
Ennis 37.5%
Fair 27.6%

Dayton:
Siebert 43.2%
Oliver 39.4%
Pierre 39.7%
Price 40.4%

Surely you weren't talking about only 3 pt shooting.

Go get their overall shooting numbers.

Neither team could shoot from what I just saw. 20 pts in a half?

I love JB's honesty. Even if everyone else doesn't.

This year really came crashing down in a hurry. Can't shoot, can't win.

wisconsin, michigan, creighton to name a few

Creighton is one guy, right?

I'd like to see SU recruit and play wit the slow-footed Wisconsin team that averages 50 points a game. The screaming from our fan base would be nevver-ending.

Surely you weren't talking about only 3 pt shooting.

Go get their overall shooting numbers.

Neither team could shoot from what I just saw. 20 pts in a half?

Dayton has a team field-goal % of 46.6%, and that's just 60th in the nation.

SU has 43.7%, good for 206th in the nation.

Do you think Syracuse is the only team with injuries? They lost to Boston College and Georgia Tech at home at the end of the season, lost in the first round of the ACC tourney and basically lost a home game in the tourney with all those guys there.

When you play a short bench…yes, the injury of one of your key players can have an impact on your team's performance. Haven't we been through this before? Gerry groin pull. Orinze. Melo (academic). Are you telling me this doesn't impact our team? Besides…how many teams did we blow out this year? A single player out of the starting five has an impact. You might not like it….but it happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom