Boeheim should do the right thing and step down now. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim should do the right thing and step down now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said the defense has been outdated for 20 years when we went to three final fours and won a title. Idiotic.

Where the heck to you think Gard came from? He was Bo Ryan's top assistant. Ryan retired so their AD was forced to give it to Gard.

And you're not connected to anything. The people who post here know who's connected.

Never said the D was obsolete for 20 years. Nope. And gard just recently got the job after Bo. Very different from the disfunctional coaching situation we have at tbe Cuse. My God.

Never said the D was obsolete for 20 years. Nope. And gard just recently got the job after Bo. Very different from the disfunctional coaching situation we have at tbe Cuse. My God.

Your exact words were the zone was a thing 20 years ago. Go read your post.

How did Gard get the job? Tell me since you know it all.

You said the defense has been outdated for 20 years when we went to three final fours and won a title. Idiotic.

Where the heck to you think Gard came from? He was Bo Ryan's top assistant. Ryan retired so their AD was forced to give it to Gard.

And you're not connected to anything. The people who post here know who's connected.

I know gard was his top assistant. But, he didn't sit there for 20 years "in waiting". Not a fan of the wisky style, but their passing of the torch was waaaaay more functional than what we will try to do...

i am pretty connected to what is going on with the program as of late
2017-03-18_1711.png

Your exact words were the zone was a thing 20 years ago. Go read your post.

How did Gard get the job? Tell me since you know it all.

Just did as a response to your last post. Yes, he was CIW. But, not for 20 years and much more savy than Hop. Hop should have jumped ship years ago.

So trying to keep the discussion about Boeheim in this thread, if he announces that he will step down this offseason, I echo what others have said and hope he does it in the not-too distant future so Hopkins can go after some transfers/guys he wants for his system.

Here's what you said;
"Boeheim should do the right thing and step down now."

Now you are back tracking on that?

Here's what you said;
"Boeheim should do the right thing and step down now."

Now you are back tracking on that?

Step down now = step down this offseason. I'm not saying he should step down today, on March 18th, 2017. This offseason is now, in my mind. As opposed to next offseason, which was the rumored timeline, which would not be "now."

You're really going to argue with me over semantics? Come on.

Step down now = step down this offseason. I'm not saying he should step down today, on March 18th, 2017. This offseason is now, in my mind. As opposed to next offseason, which was the rumored timeline, which would not be "now."

"Now" means "Now". It doesn't mean "This off-season" There's no argument over semantics here. You are trying to change your mind and make it look like you are not.

A large segment of the fan base will have little patience for Hop regardless of when he takes over.

And for the record, which I want to be very clear about, I am NOT that segment. I give him a little more rope because he's inheriting a tough transitional situation after replacing the guy that built the program.

Not to nitpick, but it isn't the "rumored" timeline, it's the timeline that the school has officially stated.

Not to nitpick, but it isn't the "rumored" timeline, it's the timeline that the school has officially stated.

I hear that, but others have stated in this thread alone that JB "kicked the tires" on asking about coaching past that extended timeline. As far as I'm concerned, until the words "I'm now retiring" come out of James Arthur Boeheim's mouth, I don't give too much weight to a timeline.

"I think you're right that some complacency has set in. He's a 70-plus year old man who's done things his way for a long time. Getting someone like that to fully come to terms with a new reality and perhaps change things up is difficult to begin with but add the whole age/energy/focus factor and it's darn near impossible."

the old king has also surrounded himself exclusively with loyal , easy to control former players who have no idea of any systems , methods or philosophies outside of his own. time to break down those castle walls.

"I think you're right that some complacency has set in. He's a 70-plus year old man who's done things his way for a long time. Getting someone like that to fully come to terms with a new reality and perhaps change things up is difficult to begin with but add the whole age/energy/focus factor and it's darn near impossible."

the old king has also surrounded himself exclusively with loyal , easy to control former players who have no idea of any systems , methods or philosophies outside of his own. time to break down those castle walls.

Nice perspective.

His recruiting has fallen off a cliff the last 4-5 seasons. His inability to commit to a firm retirement date is killing the stability of this program. He can't manage a team effectively anymore. The JB of ten years ago would have won 2-3 more games at least with this team and gotten us into the tournament.

Better to leave a year too early than a year too late. He just doesn't have it anymore. And don't tell me that last year's final four run is proof to the contrary. The region absolutely parted like the Red Sea for us when Sparty got upset and it still took two miraculous comebacks in Chicago just to get to Houston. That was a miracle run last March and you'd be absolutely foolish to think that it indicates that the program is stable right now.

Time to say goodbye. It's over, Jim.

He's gone full Jo Pa on this one complete with a Sandusky light incident

But Williams didn't -- which is why it took UNC--despite being an elite blue blooded program--three coaches to stabilize after Dean Smith retired.

Your second paragraph is spot on. It SHOULD scare all of us. And this is coming from somebody who loves the guy, and is excited to see what he can do.

Replacing iconic coaches isn't easy--most programs take one [if not multiple] steps backwards before they right the ship. If they ever do.
Houston under Lewis and DePaul under Meyer are good examples. Both schools are barely a blip on the radar since they left years ago.

This is the difference between SU and other programs when it comes to the current state of recruiting. Huggy wins earlier today and advances to the S16. He could easily go home and get praised for the next 3-4 days and prep for the next matchup. Instead he's out recruiting in Ohio on the same day later. Last week we lose to Miami in a noon game in Brooklyn. Later that night, Hudson Catholic out in Jersey which features three top 50 prospects who all have interest in SU is playing in a city championship and you couldn't find a Cuse coach in that building. Some people think I'm dissing the staff or trying to throw shade when I bring stuff like this up, but that's far from what I'm doing. If you're somebody that's complaining about why we're not landing top recruits like before then it's examples like this which is the problem. The staff seriously needs to get on their grind and start doing better moving forward.

This is the difference between SU and other programs when it comes to the current state of recruiting. Huggy wins earlier today and advances to the S16. He could easily go home and get praised for the next 3-4 days and prep for the next matchup. Instead he's out recruiting in Ohio on the same day later. Last week we lose to Miami in a noon game in Brooklyn. Later that night, Hudson Catholic out in Jersey which features three top 50 prospects who all have interest in SU is playing in a city championship and you couldn't find a Cuse coach in that building. Some people think I'm dissing the staff or trying to throw shade when I bring stuff like this up, but that's far from what I'm doing. If you're somebody that's complaining about why we're not landing top recruits like before then it's examples like this which is the problem. The staff seriously needs to get on their grind and start doing better moving forward.

This post should be pinned.

"So young, and so untender francis ?" (King Lear, 1. 1)

king_lear_in_the_storm_by_zootweek-d3cfuun.jpg

"O, sir! you are old;
Nature in you stands on the very verge
Of her confine." (King Lear, 2. 4)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and if you feel strongly Coach B isn't the right leader for this program, that's your prerogative.

The narrative that our recruiting has fallen off however isn't accurate. The last two years have both been terrific classes and the upcoming year has not started. Our problem has been that our evaluations have been tremendous and recruits who weren't expected by anyone to be early entries have been. Add that to a couple misses on the trail (every program has them) which have been magnified by the unexpected early departures and we've had to get creative building the puzzle. We lost Quade Greene to Kentucky. So what? If you actually look at our last 5 classes, we're actually recruiting as well as ever right now. You should look at some programs you think recruit really well (outside of Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Arizona) and ask if you'd trade last 5 classes with them? Not many programs you would.

I hope coach stays until he can't physically do it anymore. Not cause of what he's done in the past. But because there is no way our next replacement (I love and respect Hop) will be better than him. No way. Not many coaches could have turned the season around after the start we had in non-conference. You guys are spoiled rotten and will be begging for the good ole days one day real soon. I know I will.

I see what you're saying and it certainly would make us feel better if we saw a tweet like this about jb and staff. But it's difficult to quantify. It doesn't prove either way who is better or working harder at recruiting. We don't know everything that's going on behind the scenes and we don't really know who the staff is prioritizing. With that said, I think kids are all over social media and any "love" thrown their way is positive.

I suppose now with the season over we will be 100% focused on recruiting.

Oh come on. I respect his longevity but lets face it. The dome and 30k recruits itself. 3 final 4s in 40+. 1 ship compliments of melo. The zone was a thing 20 years ago. The game is stretched these days. AAU and the evolution of the 12 year old changed the game 6-8 yrs ago. Kids are coached to take an open 25 footer instead of a contested 12 footer. Its layups/dunks or 25 footers. Thats what the AAU system has produced. But JB hasn't adjusted. Kennedy schooled him in the 2nd half today. We got killed from the 3 pt. Line all year as we were jumping around with our hands up in the air at 20 ft. Never played man. Add in the fact that 50% of his wins came against the gates and cornells of the world for 30 years. For 30 years, JB, finally left the dome in January for conference play at 17/18-0.

I almost went blind reading all these scorching takes.

If people lived to 200 years one could make an argument for him staying. Fact is, people get old and die alot earlier than that. Given that he is not immortal and thus cannot coach the team forever, maybe we think about other options without being labeled heretics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom