Boeheim will coach tomorrow per Wildhack announcement | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim will coach tomorrow per Wildhack announcement

I think Wildhack wanted to clearly own this decision up front. It’s the tail wagging the dog otherwise. Very very strong leadership position from him...whether you agree with the decision or not...it was delivered as it should be.

He's done a great job. An outstanding hire, he "gets it".

No, that is leadership. Wildhack is taking all the potential heat for this onto himself.
My thought exactly. The whole crew showing the rest of the world how compassionate PR is done.

I believe this oddly worded statement was intended to optically make it look like Boeheim didn’t make the decision in order to take away second guessing against him. I am sure Boeheim had a lot of influence here and Wildhack ultimately deferred to JB.
Yes.
If Boeheim had said he wasn't up to coaching it's extremely unlikely anyone would have tried to coerce him.
The first question had to be, "Coach, can you do it?"
And it may well be helpful for him... although no one can say that since a man is dead.

I believe this oddly worded statement was intended to optically make it look like Boeheim didn’t make the decision in order to take away second guessing against him. I am sure Boeheim had a lot of influence here and Wildhack ultimately deferred to JB.
That may have been the intent but no one would believe he could force JB to coach. Not a big deal but it would have been a little less awkward to say something like "after discussion with coach Boeheim, we've made the decision for Coach to resume his duties on Saturday."

Adam Weitsman, cont: "The community will be getting together. People will be excited. And people will be mourning. (Boeheim) should be there mourning too. We usually talk basketball. All we talked about today, was (Jimenez's) family." (2/2).

It would have been ideal to mention in the press release that the Jiminez family supports this decision if in fact they did reach out to them.

It would have been ideal to mention in the press release that the Jiminez family supports this decision if in fact they did reach out to them.
Perhaps, but also sort of difficult to imagine Wildhack asking for their family's permission to help with a PR statement 36 hours after a tragic loss of life.

I give JAB, Wildhack and SU strong sensitivity grades so far on a situation that does not have much of a playbook to work off of.

No, that is leadership. Wildhack is taking all the potential heat for this onto himself.

Agree 100%. This takes all discussion of whether it is acceptable vs. non-acceptable, too soon, etc. for JB to coach off of the coach, and moves the evaluation of whether that happens onto the AD.

Strong leadership.

The statement says to me that JB likely told our AD I will coach if you let me but I leave it to you to decide as I do not want to be a distraction or sideshow on national TV. Just reinforces how much he cares about the University.

Agreed.

i tend to disagree unless it was just to send condolences. otherwise, what do you say? "hey, i know your relative just died, but do you mind if jb coaches tomorrow?" when you reach out, its to say, were very sorry for your loss. please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. here is our number.

Not sure I like this new role of program spokesperson from the superfan.
I don't see it as an enormous problem, but I agree that it is sub optimal.

The response to the tragedy is a work in progress. The impact on the community is profound, with tens of thousands of people feeling the pain. We love JB because of basketball, but more so because of his love of community. He’s been the most committed person to greater Syracuse that I’ve known of in my lifetime. I expect he’ll handle it with grace...

Great management style. I'm sure JB was given time to make his own decision and John simply took the ball, validated that he was comfortable that Jim made a well reasoned and competent decision and ensured he was confident that Jim's decision was indeed in Jim's best interest and that there was zero chance that the high pressure environment tomorrow could have a negative impact on Jim's welfare.

I like John a lot, but that screams of word got out about the rumors this morning and people have been blowing up the AD's office.

Think you're looking for smoke that doesn't exist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom