Boeheim's Army / TBT 2021 | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim's Army / TBT 2021

Idk why im so anxious for the unveiling of the add ons

Boeheim’s Army will add at least two more players. Devendorf described those guys as “super elite.” (Don’t be surprised if they’re not former Syracuse guys.)

that would be too bad.

that would be too bad.
The last two champions, Ohio State and Marquette, weren’t 100% alumni. I think it’s just too hard to pull that off. As long as Rice and Sykes (and whomever) else don’t play hero ball like some of the previous non-alums, I won’t mind if this is what it takes to finally win.

The last two champions, Ohio State and Marquette, weren’t 100% alumni. I think it’s just too hard to pull that off. As long as Rice and Sykes (and whomever) else don’t play hero ball like some of the previous non-alums, I won’t mind if this is what it takes to finally win.

you need PGs so you got to do what you got to do. Just too bad former SU PGs aren’t available.

Is it? The former approach hasn't been working.

So long as the team is 75% or more of SU guys, I'm good.

i don’t think the former approach that didn’t work was necessarily the PGs. Defense and inside play has been a consistent issue as has been shooting at times.

i don’t think the former approach that didn’t work was necessarily the PGs. Defense and inside play has been a consistent issue as has been shooting at times.

Limiting ourselves to available SU players is what I meant, not talking about any one position.

A lot of it comes down to availability [as we've seen -- we've had lots of players commit, then not participate for various reasons]. Might need to emulate what recent winners have done, and supplement the nucleus.

Or to maybe weed out some of the "older" guys and replace them with players who are more suited to the small ball orientation of this tournament -- as you point out, guys who are better shooters, guys who can drive the ball and create, etc.

I've also been disappointed by some recent performances from guys -- CJ and Gbinije in particular -- who I know are young, playing professionally, but looked "worse" than when they recently played at SU. Part of that problem is that this is a guard-driven tournament.

I'm excited to see how CJ does this year. I'm excited EVERY YEAR to see our players. But I'd be even more excited to see 7 out of 10 of our players win the tournament, or get to the F4, instead of getting bounced by teams we're probably better than, because those teams are better "fits" for how TBT is played.

I don't disagree with your premise, Bees -- just want to see us win. It's been such a privilege to be able to watch our favorite team and beloved players from past teams suit up again. TBT is awesome in that regard. I just want to watch 6 games instead of 3.

Last edited:
Limiting ourselves to available SU players is what I meant, not talking about any one position.

A lot of it comes down to availability [as we've seen -- we've had lots of players commit, then not participate for various reasons]. Might need to emulate what recent winners have done, and supplement the nucleus.

Or to maybe weed out some of the "older" guys and replace them with players who are more suited to the small ball orientation of this tournament -- as you point out, guys who are better shooters, guys who can drive the ball and create, etc.

I've also been disappointed by some recent performances from guys -- CJ and Gbinije in particular -- who I know are young, playing professionally, but looked "worse" than when they recently played at SU. Part of that problem is that this is a guard-driven tournament.

I'm excited to see how CJ does this year. I'm excited EVERY YEAR to see our players. But I'd be even more excited to see 7 out of 10 of our players win the tournament, or get to the F4, instead of getting bounced by teams we're probably better than, because those teams are better "fits" for how TBT is played.

we went down this same road before with Willie Deane and didn’t win. I know we had to add these two guys if nobody else was available. I’m not saying not to do it, just that it’s too bad we had too.

we went down this same road before with Willie Deane and didn’t win. I know we had to add these two guys if nobody else was available. I’m not saying not to do it, just that it’s too bad we had too.

That's true -- or that guy from Xavier. But bringing in poor fits doesn't mean [or shouldn't mean] abandoning the strategy. We just need to find better fits who compliment the rest of the roster.

I'd rather have some external guard who can drive, shoot, and pass -- and is well suited for the way TBT is played -- than an alum who is past his prime, or someone who hasn't played competitive ball in awhile. Heck, we even used DaShonte Riley for several years, who was only nominally orange.

that would be too bad.
I don’t get this pov. Obviously all Orange isideal but not realistic. let’s have an Orange core and Orange leadership and then get the best players. I’m not picking on him but I’d rather win with a great addition than lose with Rick Jackson, for instance.

you need PGs so you got to do what you got to do. Just too bad former SU PGs aren’t available.
And the one year Scoop looks like he can finally go, he goes elsewhere.

So we are talking 7 SU guys, 4 other guys, and a non-SU coach...

Was hoping for Battle and/or Rak (not that Rak needs the $$$) but it will be good to see a few of the SU guys who have not played before. I watch Portland just to see Melo and a bunch of non-SU guys so this will actually be more SU guys...

Blackwell said he 2 final names will likely drop on Monday.

They are NOT former SU players but do have past TBT experience.

That last sentence isn't very exciting...

Edit: Probably 2 dudes from Overseas Elite.
Source that says last 2 are non SU?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom