Brent Axe finally says it | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Brent Axe finally says it

I for one, would be thrilled if Dino would just have someone to help in in game management. It isn't a knock against yourself to need help in one area. We could be very good next year.
Agreed! Delegating is part of running a program.

We need someone to focus solely on clock and game management. And a special teams coach. Then we’ll really be in business.

We need someone to focus solely on clock and game management. And a special teams coach. Then we’ll really be in business.
Both points. I have no problem with the staff other than that. We have good young players. They fight. Fix the game management and the specials and we are in business. Along with just two more wins this year.

Both points. I have no problem with the staff other than that. We have good young players. They fight. Fix the game management and the specials and we are in business. Along with just two more wins this year.
You can enjoy the win while still acknowledging the glaring, repetitive miscues that have cost us games this season and very easily could have cost us this game.

Shrader was fantastic today. I hope what we saw out of him passing today is what we’ll see going forward. Him becoming consistent there is going to make this team very dangerous down the stretch. But if the mismanagement inside of 5 minutes before the end of halves and the horrendous kicking game continue, we’ll lose more games because of it. You don’t get to a bowl by losing games and I’m pretty sure everyone on this forum at a minimum wants to see that.

dinos game management mistakes along with no special teams coach are annoying but it seems like the coaching staff as a whole are getting as much out the players they have

So it's been his wise decision making that has kept us close? Timing may not be to people's liking, but he isn't wrong.
Maybe. But maybe that's an article for Tuesday?

If he means game management, fine. But I won't go along with the rest of it. Most of these guys weren't rated as high as the kids we are playing against were in high school. The kids do seem to be coached up.
I’m with you on this.

Dino went out and decided to go 3-3-5. Huge success.

Dino went out and intentionally got a replacement for DeVito…that essentially involved changing the entire offensive philosophy. Success.

despite the recruiting rankings disparity, we aren’t getting blown out in any game. We enter every week believing we can win. Off the field issues seem to be limited. He should also get special points for putting up with the plumber.

here’s where we need to see improvement:

Special teams: his decision to not have a dedicated ST coach seems to be a failure.

Huddle organization. Too often in the hurry up offense, we look disorganized. It seems like players are confused as who should be on the field. It’s often the case with a young team and a new QB. But it’s got to get better because we have wasted points and time outs be suse

kick / punt/ goforit decision: better today, but I think he’s been far too conservative this year.

Overall, he’s been worse at the stuff all fans see. Better at the stuff most fans don’t pay attention to. Which leads to fans not being happy.

let’s get to a bowl, get another speed receiver and some DL transfers from the portal and see where this goes next year.

one final point—please put more hurry up in the hurry up offense. Spiking ball is a better play than letting :15 tick off the clock getting organized and a play called.

Honestly, F Brent Axe.

Zero perspective, if that's his take. And this is coming from someone who is tired as hell of the coaching miscues. But after today's win, and what the team overcame to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, Brent Axe can go suck an egg.
Axe is this generation's Bud P, but without the burg, whiz-bang and ramrod detritus.

I’m with you on this.

Dino went out and decided to go 3-3-5. Huge success.

Dino went out and intentionally got a replacement for DeVito…that essentially involved changing the entire offensive philosophy. Success.

despite the recruiting rankings disparity, we aren’t getting blown out in any game. We enter every week believing we can win. Off the field issues seem to be limited. He should also get special points for putting up with the plumber.

here’s where we need to see improvement:

Special teams: his decision to not have a dedicated ST coach seems to be a failure.

Huddle organization. Too often in the hurry up offense, we look disorganized. It seems like players are confused as who should be on the field. It’s often the case with a young team and a new QB. But it’s got to get better because we have wasted points and time outs be suse

kick / punt/ goforit decision: better today, but I think he’s been far too conservative this year.

Overall, he’s been worse at the stuff all fans see. Better at the stuff most fans don’t pay attention to. Which leads to fans not being happy.

let’s get to a bowl, get another speed receiver and some DL transfers from the portal and see where this goes next year.

one final point—please put more hurry up in the hurry up offense. Spiking ball is a better play than letting :15 tick off the clock getting organized and a play called.

Plus Special Teams have been good under his tenure until this year. They won't find someone as good as Lustig probably but even an average/above average ST coach can prolly fix some of the mess there

It's not his job to pump up the program. It's to give an objective analysis of what he saw. He saw a team that is capable of more wins than they currently have.
Well, good for him then.

dinos game management mistakes along with no special teams coach are annoying but it seems like the coaching staff as a whole are getting as much out the players they have
go around the country and figure who has ST coaches and how good they are.. the ST issues are mostly kickers being kickers and thats not ST

Other than special teams this is the most fundamentally sound Syracuse team in years. Players tackle better than I’ve seen since the Dwight Freeney days, very few holding calls, and besides today we are limiting the false start penalties. Very few busted coverages or completely busted plays on offense.

Honestly even the last 8 seconds of the half weren’t *that* bad. Initially he made the decision to go for it which is great, but then he got spooked into the fg… a little soft? Sure, but it’s something that you see a dozen times a weekend. Again, Szmyt needs to make that kick… he’s on a freaking scholarship. In the mean time Babers made some really good calls in the 4th quarter.

For better or for worse he’s learning on the job… not great for $4mm+ a year but that ship has sailed. I suspect he gets an extension after this year, hopefully without increasing the buyout.

I agree with this. Poor special teams play cost us a chance to beat Clemson last week, and almost cost us a W today. It’s not fair to put all the blame on Szmyt. The snapper and holder are important parts of the FG unit, too. It was the holder who screwed up on the last-minuteFG attempt against Clemson, leaving the laces facing the kicker. And we missed a FG in a 3-point loss to Wake Forest. But kickoffs and punting units have been weak, too. We’re far enough into the season to conclude that the special teams coaching by committee isn’t working.

go around the country and figure who has ST coaches and how good they are.. the ST issues are mostly kickers being kickers and thats not ST
nope our return blocking has been awful on both punt and kickoffs too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom