Brent Axe finally says it | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Brent Axe finally says it

A dedicated coach can help with placekick blocking. That was a 3 point swing. They can also make sure the holder spins the laces out.
And only a dedicated special teams coach can fix special teams issues. They're the only ones. We need to get busy during some coaches.

but how many teams have a single coach.. 10% 25% 50%?

kickers missing kicks happens all over.. there is a reason so many kick 60-70% missing an XP is all on the kicker.. I never really felt Smzyt was all that solid, even in his good year his mis hit so many XP..
Ate you blaming Szmyt for the blocked kick?

For the umpteenth time if you bring in a good special team coach which current coach on staff are you letting go?
seems redundant to have a coach just for outside corners so he would be the one to me Monroe can coach the entire secondary

For the umpteenth time if you bring in a good special team coach which current coach on staff are you letting go?

I wonder if West, Monroe or Ferri could be a successful ST coach.

Having a corners coach, safeties coach, inside receivers/TE coach and WR coach seems like it could be consolidated.

4 coaches for offense, 4 for defense and 1 for specials would make sense

seems redundant to have a coach just for outside corners so he would be the one to me Monroe can coach the entire secondary

IMO West > than Monroe in coaching. CBs have been great. Trill, Iffy, Williams, and now Duce and Cole is no slouch. Outside of Cisco the safety play has been subpar over his tenure.

IMO West > than Monroe in coaching. CBs have been great. Trill, Iffy, Williams, and now Duce and Cole is no slouch. Outside of Cisco the safety play has been subpar over his tenure.
or make monroe the full time specials teams guy and recruiting wiz

it is an area where there is a lot of overlap so you could clear a spot there

hasn't there been rumors 2 or 3 coaches could be tough to retain after this year too?

it is an area where there is a lot of overlap so you could clear a spot there

staffs traditionally have separate coaches for safeties and corners. Go look at the staff breakdowns for the top 20 and draw your own conclusions. Some teams have run game coordinator and pass game coordinator assignments

Incredibly.

Worst case there. Take the 5 yards. You still get ONE chance at the end zone from the 6. You can still run OR throw. And you still have a timeout to kick if you need it.

I cannot fathom any justification for calling the TO if you are kicking after it.

NONE. These coaches think literally one play at a time.

i would never take the penalty. Why do I want the ball on the 6 instead of the 1? What I didn’t like was the fade route.

I for one, would be thrilled if Dino would just have someone to help in in game management. It isn't a knock against yourself to need help in one area. We could be very good next year.
That and he needs to be forced to hire an experienced and quality Special Teams Coordinator. STs are too overlooked by HCs. At a school like ours it is even more important as it can close the talent gap. We went from one of the best special team units to a liability.

A dedicated coach can help with placekick blocking. That was a 3 point swing. They can also make sure the holder spins the laces out.

we have a dedicated coach for FG/XP kicking.

staffs traditionally have separate coaches for safeties and corners. Go look at the staff breakdowns for the top 20 and draw your own conclusions. Some teams have run game coordinator and pass game coordinator assignments
we only play 2 corners at a time, the rest are safties playing nickelback, could see white pick up a unit to coach too since i believe original he was needed on every level now he could coach a position too

That and he needs to be forced to hire an experienced and quality Special Teams Coordinator. STs are too overlooked by HCs. At a school like ours it is even more important as it can close the talent gap. We went from one of the best special team units to a liability.

Which coach should be let go then?

we only play 2 corners at a time, the rest are safties playing nickelback, could see white pick up a unit to coach too since i believe original he was needed on every level now he could coach a position too

we have a lot of cornerbacks on the team. Btw corners safeties and nickels you need two coaches.

I’m with you on this.

Dino went out and decided to go 3-3-5. Huge success.

Dino went out and intentionally got a replacement for DeVito…that essentially involved changing the entire offensive philosophy. Success.

despite the recruiting rankings disparity, we aren’t getting blown out in any game. We enter every week believing we can win. Off the field issues seem to be limited. He should also get special points for putting up with the plumber.

here’s where we need to see improvement:

Special teams: his decision to not have a dedicated ST coach seems to be a failure.

Huddle organization. Too often in the hurry up offense, we look disorganized. It seems like players are confused as who should be on the field. It’s often the case with a young team and a new QB. But it’s got to get better because we have wasted points and time outs be suse

kick / punt/ goforit decision: better today, but I think he’s been far too conservative this year.

Overall, he’s been worse at the stuff all fans see. Better at the stuff most fans don’t pay attention to. Which leads to fans not being happy.

let’s get to a bowl, get another speed receiver and some DL transfers from the portal and see where this goes next year.

one final point—please put more hurry up in the hurry up offense. Spiking ball is a better play than letting :15 tick off the clock getting organized and a play called.
Yup, the stuff that's not great is both a) extremely visible and b) easy stuff for fans to second guess.

The staff is doing a great job of getting the team ready to compete each week. We have something on the defensive side. We have something between Tucker, Shrader and the OL that's consistently moving the ball and picking up points (and oh by the way it seems like we're a lot better in the red zone now).

That stuff all matters too.

We just need Dino to handle a few things a little better. It's a fine line. We can all acknowledge the good and the bad.

I can name a few. We don't need multiple guys coaching a single unit. Who ever is the least valuable guy, send him packing. And the STC will coach a position, as Lustig did. Not like he sits in a chair most of practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom