Brent Axe finally says it | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Brent Axe finally says it

he also has conflict of interest with his weekly guest of devito so objective?
Why is talking to a player or former player a conflict of interest

Other than special teams this is the most fundamentally sound Syracuse team in years. Players tackle better than I’ve seen since the Dwight Freeney days, very few holding calls, and besides today we are limiting the false start penalties. Very few busted coverages or completely busted plays on offense.

Honestly even the last 8 seconds of the half weren’t *that* bad. Initially he made the decision to go for it which is great, but then he got spooked into the fg… a little soft? Sure, but it’s something that you see a dozen times a weekend. Again, Szmyt needs to make that kick… he’s on a freaking scholarship. In the mean time Babers made some really good calls in the 4th quarter.

For better or for worse he’s learning on the job… not great for $4mm+ a year but that ship has sailed. I suspect he gets an extension after this year, hopefully without increasing the buyout.
Did you miss the 12th man on the field which caused us to have to burn out last time out and put us into a position to kick rather than have another try from 1 yard out? The last 8 seconds were bad. Period.

And in his 6th year here and 8th being a HC at the BCS level he should know how to have his team prepared for the speed of the game when 2 minutes or less are on the clock heading into the end of the half. It shouldn’t be a roller coaster ride as far as time management and timeout usage practically everytime.

Of course the coaching is holding this team back.

Brent isn't wrong.

Agree the timing sucks. But Dino's disastrous end of half 1...which very well could have cost is this have cost us this game...shouldn't get ignored because the team rallied to win despite him.

But the timing sucks.

go around the country and figure who has ST coaches and how good they are.. the ST issues are mostly kickers being kickers and thats not ST
No, we’ve had plenty of issues on special teams this year. Return penalties have been bad. We’ve had multiple blocking breakdowns leading to blocked xtra points and punts. I think we had some organizational penalties earlier this year…two illegal formations on punts against Rutgers I think.

There are lots of reasons kickers miss kicks. Mostly it’s a bad swing. But kickers notice bad snaps, undue pressure from the edge, players racing on and off the field at the last minute and of course laces facing the wrong way

I don’t think people truly grasp how delicate the timing is on every kick…and how important repetition and trust are. It bothers me how late Smzyt begins his kicking motion. He’s almost waiting to see the hold completed before starting his approach - that’s too late. He didn’t do that his first coupe of years I don’t think.

our kicking unit does not look like they’ve had a ton of reps together. I don’t think Smzyt is comfortable out there for more reasons than confidence in his kick swing.

having a coach who is held responsible for this would improve organizational matters….which is where the problem starts.

your last sentence about “kickers missing kicks not being special teams” couldn’t be more wrong.

Last edited:
Did you miss the 12th man on the field which caused us to have to burn out last time out and put us into a position to kick rather than have another try from 1 yard out? The last 8 seconds were bad. Period.
Yep… I did miss that in all the chaos of the absurd. But I do stand by my take… other than the last 8 seconds the team did okay.

I'm not understanding how a dedicated special teams coach makes a kicker not miss and a punter kick it farther? Not to mention, who do we get rid of on this staff to make room for a FT ST coordinator? And remind me again who the special teams coordinator was before we had Lustig? You know, when a dude named Kim McCloud was on staff.

Did you miss the 12th man on the field which caused us to have to burn out last time out and put us into a position to kick rather than have another try from 1 yard out? The last 8 seconds were bad.

Incredibly.

Worst case there. Take the 5 yards. You still get ONE chance at the end zone from the 6. You can still run OR throw. And you still have a timeout to kick if you need it.

I cannot fathom any justification for calling the TO if you are kicking after it.

NONE. These coaches think literally one play at a time.

Why is talking to a player or former player a conflict of interest
guess you didnt see the article he put out this week in the substandard

Axe is correct and Dino is still a terrible coach. Don't let one win by the heroics of GS cloud your eyes. Dino blew it at the end of the half and was bailed out. If SU lost this game many of you would have a different view of his comments.

Alabama just had three guys run into Tennessee's punter. Tennessee gets the ball back and scored a touchdown. Bama needs to fire their coach and hire another special teams coordinator.

No, we’ve had plenty of issues on special teams this year. Return penalties have been bad. We’ve had multiple blocking breakdowns leading to blocked xtra points and punts. I think we had some organizational penalties earlier this year…two illegal formations on punts against Rutgers I think.

There are lots of reasons kickers miss kicks. Mostly it’s a bad swing. But kickers notice bad snaps, undue pressure from the edge, players racing on and off the field at the last minute and of course laces facing the wrong way

I don’t think people truly grasp how delicate the timing is on every kick…and how important repetition and trust are. It bothers me how late Smzyt begins his kicking motion. He’s almost waiting to see the hold completed before starting his approach - that’s too late. He didn’t do that his first coupe of years I don’t think.

our kicking unit does not look like they’ve had a ton of reps together. I don’t think Smzyt is comfortable out there for more reasons than confidence in his kick swing.

having a coach who is held responsible for this would improve organizational matters….which is where the problem starts.

your last sentence about “kickers missing kicks not being special teams” couldn’t be more wrong.
but how many teams have a single coach.. 10% 25% 50%?

kickers missing kicks happens all over.. there is a reason so many kick 60-70% missing an XP is all on the kicker.. I never really felt Smzyt was all that solid, even in his good year his mis hit so many XP..

Axe is correct and Dino is still a terrible coach. Don't let one win by the heroics of GS cloud your eyes. Dino blew it at the end of the half and was bailed out. If SU lost this game many of you would have a different view of his comments.

We're outgaining every opponent.

He's doing something right.

Some of the gameday stuff is beyond frustrating, I get it. But for a team that's been dominated so often this century, we should at least enjoy that we've looked like the better team in each ACC game.

Incredibly.

Worst case there. Take the 5 yards. You still get ONE chance at the end zone from the 6. You can still run OR throw. And you still have a timeout to kick if you need it.

I cannot fathom any justification for calling the TO if you are kicking after it.

NONE. These coaches think literally one play at a time.
I watch a lot of college football, P5 games. I watch a lot of other coaches. I can say with sincerity I have not seen these issues with game management inside of 5 minutes of the end of a half with the consistency that we’ve seen them this year at other programs. Whatever the reason, it is happening with Dino’s team far more than it should.

And the strange thing is that I don’t remember this being a major issue for us during the 2018 season or even Dino’s first couple of years. Maybe my memory is rosy but I don’t remember it being like this. Maybe Sean Lewis was the reason for that.

If the throw is to Johnson it's because the coach called a play that was a throw to Johnson, there were no other options in the play design. If the kicker misses, it's the coach's fault. On kick return, if someone misses a block, it's the coach's fault. If someone scores a touchdown, it's cause they're a great player, the coaches had nothing to do with them playing here because they can't recruit.

For the umpteenth time if you bring in a good special team coach which current coach on staff are you letting go?
Our coverage and return teams for the most part are fine. For punter, I think it’s a recruiting/talent issue more than anything. Either these guys are on the field far too early or they don’t have it.

Kickoffs are fine but the place kicking game is a mess. And it shouldn’t be and that’s the one that frustrates me the most. Doesn’t make any sense.

If Dino wins 7 national titles I'll let it slide.
Well, he'll have to do it at another school because he needs to get fired from his current job, remember?

I'm not understanding how a dedicated special teams coach makes a kicker not miss and a punter kick it farther? Not to mention, who do we get rid of on this staff to make room for a FT ST coordinator? And remind me again who the special teams coordinator was before we had Lustig? You know, when a dude named Kim McCloud was on staff.
A dedicated coach can help with placekick blocking. That was a 3 point swing. They can also make sure the holder spins the laces out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom