Brissett's elbow | Syracusefan.com

Brissett's elbow

lskul60

Zorba's Subs
Never got to see the play. can someone post a link to vid or photo?
thx.

Yeah, that deserves an ejection.

The enforcement of this is so random, though. How can they catch that but ignore when he caught a worse elbow from a Duke guy who speared him in the face?

Yeah, that deserves an ejection.

The enforcement of this is so random, though. How can they catch that but ignore when he caught a worse elbow from a Duke guy who speared him in the face?
Wasn't the Duke play more of an actual basketball play though? Can't remember but last night the elbow came before there was any basketball intent. He should have been booted.

Not sure about ejection. The kid was being aggressive. He wasn’t trying to hurt anyone. Elbows are going to hit people occasionally in basketball. I know - bad sentence structure on my part.

Wasn't the Duke play more of an actual basketball play though? Can't remember but last night the elbow came before there was any basketball intent. He should have been booted.

For sure. Guy led with his elbow going for a rebound that Brissett already had. So I don't think that one was as ejection-worthy, but under the letter of the rule it should've been a flagrant. But they didn't even call it a common foul.

It looked bad but I'm still not convinced it actually made contact. The guy's head didn't move a bit.

If it did make contact, I bet he barely felt it.

Either way, I agree an aggressive move like that should be punished.

Edit: I should have said that the guy's head was already moving but the trajectory didn't change as the elbow went by. He flinched a little but only after the elbow.

Last edited:
Not sure about ejection. The kid was being aggressive. He wasn’t trying to hurt anyone. Elbows are going to hit people occasionally in basketball. I know - bad sentence structure on my part.
I like Brissett and think he gets it kind of rough on this board. You would think some here believe that he's actually trying to be bad at times. As for the elbow, even as a Brissett supporter, that was bad. I'm sure he just lost his head for a moment but that looked pretty vicious to me. He is VERY lucky he didn't get ejected and EXTREMELY fortunate that it didn't connect.

It looked bad but I'm still not convinced it actually made contact. The guy's head didn't move a bit.

If it did make contact, I bet he barely felt it.

Either way, I agree an aggressive move like that should be punished.

I don't know the wording of the rule, but my general understanding over the years is that a flagrant involves live-play excessive contact while a technical covers dead-ball contact along with unsportsmanlike behavior. Seems that if Brissett whiffed it should've been a technical.

Not that I'd expect a $1,800/game college referee to get anything correct.

so did he get 2 fouls , one for that and one for the Offensive that had the called the first he doesnt get .

so just wondering say this had been with 30 secs to go.. they dont call the elbow and he scores a game winning basket, then they review and call a flagrant 2. does the basket still count?

so did he get 2 fouls , one for that and one for the Offensive that had the called the first he doesnt get .

so just wondering say this had been with 30 secs to go.. they dont call the elbow and he scores a game winning basket, then they review and call a flagrant 2. does the basket still count?

Yep, he got two fouls (plus a turnover since the hook was a player-control foul).

My understanding is that the refs are allowed to review during the next dead ball for a potential flagrant they didn't see, but it's not supposed to wipe out any play that happens in the interim. So in that scenario, we could hit a "game-winner" then get a review that earns them free throws.

He had been mugged inside and lost his cool. OBs fine just needs to find") his stroke.

He swung his arm but not in front of his face but the side of his head and I don’t think he made any contact. Definitely not a smart play because of what ‘could have happened if he connected’ but players are going to get frustrated being constantly held and manhandled. Jerome was holding Brissett back and the constant hands on defense allowed while Boeheim is telling these same players being held and pushed on offense to keep their hands straight up on defense when they get called - has to be exasperating. No excuse for losing it but I can sadly understand it. Refs have to control this stuff, it’s their job to control the physicality and allowing arm bars, holding, slapping, hand checking all over offensive players - all illegal needs to be called.

We’ve all been there...you lose your cool and do something questionable. It’s a coachable moment. Hang in there OB.

I thought the play was something of an aberration on Brissett's part. He plays with physicality, but I don't think that the elbow was typical. Among other things, one of the standards I use to judge head coaches (and their players) involves those situations when an opposing player is on the floor If it's a dead ball, who goes to his aid? Players from Virginia, UNC, & Syracuse will help an opponent to his feet. Brissett did exactly that Monday night. By contrast, I cannot remember the last time I saw a Duke player do so. Of course, I also think fans entertain more hostility towards opponents than do the players themselves. During deadballs on Monday night, you could see Virginia and Syracuse players chatting and smiling while waiting for play to resume.

Seth Greenberg from halftime - "I'll tell ya how tough Ty Jerome is. He takes this hit right here, right to the face. You know what he does? He says, is that the best ya have? What does he do? He just gets back to the other side and continues to defend. That's Virginia defense."

Seth, if that elbow actually made real contact, Jerome would have been seeing Tweety birds. It grazed him. Foolish move from Oshae, but it only grazed him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom