Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

(1) I thought he was the best recruit we had landed last year. (2) I fully expected him to start by mid year. Regardless of why he didnt play more (3) JBs approach with him failed. (4) His upside is significant. (5)This is a big loss.
you were wrong on points 1 and 2 so why should anyone consider your points 3 through 5 have any value
i know i don't

Just because a kid doesn't pan out in his freshman season, doesn't mean the kid can't play or is a bad recruit, or there was a bad evaluation. Goodine, Carey and Washington were all 4 year players, all of which had to deal with injuries at some point. It takes time for freshmen to adjust to college basketball, especially at the highest level.
I agree. Which is why I'm disappointed we didn't give them a chance to get more experience this year along with the hope that they would have a way to contribute in the future.

I agree. Which is why I'm disappointed we didn't give them a chance to get more experience this year along with the hope that they would have a way to contribute in the future.
You mean in a season where fans had understandable low expectations you want to see the program try and develop its players rather than treat every game as a game 7 and grind to be mediocre that season.

I would take one step back to go two steps forward the following year. Instead of just trying to grind to stay mediocre and not better in the future.
Next year now looks like another low expectation year and this year did little to help the future.

Carey sat out with an injury. Goodine also got injured. Howard Washington just is not very good. Both Goodine and Washington had plenty of playing time, but neither did much. It's about winning games. If those kids want to transfer, that's up to them. We knew Carey and HoWash were probably gone anyway. Can't blame Goodine for wanting to play close to home. If they were better, they would have played more.

You mean in a season where fans had understandable low expectations you want to see the program try and develop its players rather than treat every game as a game 7 and grind to be mediocre that season.

I would take one step back to go two steps forward the following year. Instead of just trying to grind to stay mediocre and not better in the future.
Next year now looks like another low expectation year and this year did little to help the future.

I saw Hughes, Buddy, Marek and Sidibe develop quite well. Guerrier too. Think Edwards will become a good player, and Joe will likely take the next step.

Nobody expects freshmen to just "develop" in one year. Takes time.

I'm already excited about next year.

We knew we'd lose 2-3 players in addition to Hughes. We discussed this a couple months ago.

I saw Hughes, Buddy, Marek and Sidibe develop quite well. Guerrier too. Think Edwards will become a good player, and Joe will likely take the next step.

Nobody expects freshmen to just "develop" in one year. Takes time.

I'm already excited about next year.

We knew we'd lose 2-3 players in addition to Hughes. We discussed this a couple months ago.

What's your expectation for next year's team that has you excited? Assuming Hughes leaves, expectations for both if we strike gold in the grad transfer market and if we make minimal new additions outside of kids currently committed.

What's your expectation for next year's team that has you excited? Assuming Hughes leaves, expectations for both if we strike gold in the grad transfer market and if we make minimal new additions outside of kids currently committed.

I think Guerrier is going to be really good. I love that we have 2 seniors in Marek and Sidibe down low, as I think both will continue to get better. Think Buddy and Joe will be really good.

I like this Richmond kid a lot. Think Jesse Edward will take a step forward and become a solid contributor. I like having a stronger JBA out there.

I think we'll add a couple of transfers that can help us as well.

We'll have plenty of experience out there next season, as opposed to having a team that lost 4 starters. Think the D will be a lot better.

I think Guerrier is going to be really good. I love that we have 2 seniors in Marek and Sidibe down low, as I think both will continue to get better. Think Buddy and Joe will be really good.

I like this Richmond kid a lot. Think Jesse Edward will take a step forward and become a solid contributor. I like having a stronger JBA out there.

I think we'll add a couple of transfers that can help us as well.

We'll have plenty of experience out there next season, as opposed to having a team that lost 4 starters. Think the D will be a lot better.

I meant record wise and NCAAT projection.

you want to see the program try and develop its players rather than treat every game as a game 7 and grind to be mediocre that season.

Thought this deserved a separate response.

No coach is going to sacrifice winning games to "develop" their freshmen for the following year. Every coach is going to try to win every single game. And every coach is going to play the kids that will help him win every game possible.

JB doesn't grind to be mediocre. Had we won ND/VT at home, Clemson/FSU on the road, Miami on the road, that's 5 more wins and NCAAT. He doesn't play to lose games.

Thought this deserved a separate response.

No coach is going to sacrifice winning games to "develop" their freshmen for the following year. Every coach is going to try to win every single game. And every coach is going to play the kids that will help him win every game possible.

JB doesn't grind to be mediocre. Had we won ND/VT at home, Clemson/FSU on the road, Miami on the road, that's 5 more wins and NCAAT. He doesn't play to lose games.
Had we?
We didn’t.
Maybe if the bench played more we win those games.
Then if you want to play the what if game.

“Develop its players”...I mean. Playing guys that aren’t good doesn’t necessarily “develop” them.

If that’s the case, why do people think Buddy and Girard have basically already peaked? Shouldn’t all the minutes they’ve gotten and will continue to get “develop” them further?

This isn’t some exact science where linear improvement directly correlates with more minutes, for every single player.

Impossible to say / gauge without knowing who we add, I'd say.
Roster opportunities galore.

PG - need a backup to JG.
SG - KR will back up Buddy, and has a higher ceiling as a scorer/slasher/playmaker who can create;
SF - Triple H (Huge Hole after Hughes). Who takes over the 3? I like Bras but does he start or backup a GT? Does Woody get minutes here with PF crowded?
PF - MD/Guerrier has been a nice combo .. with MD being able to slide over to the middle. Minutes for Woody or JBA.
C - Sid played like we all hoped (and you predicted) during the stretch run. He starts, and MD could back up, or Edwards. Wouldn't hurt to have a GT/big added to the mix - especially a big body.

Roster opportunities galore.

PG - need a backup to JG.
SG - KR will probably back up Buddy, and has a higher ceiling as a scorer/slasher/playmaker who can create;
SF - Huge Hole after Hughes. Who takes over the 3? I like Bras but does he start or backup a GT? Does Woody get minutes here with PF crowded?
PF - MD/Guerrier has been a nice combo .. with MD being able to slide over to the middle.
C - Sid played like we all hoped (and you predicted) during the stretch run. He starts, and who backs up? JBA will be available, as will Edwards. Wouldn't hurt to have a GT/big added to the mix - especially a big body.
Are we going to have enough to have schollie on schollie scrimmages next year?

“Develop its players”...I mean. Playing guys that aren’t good doesn’t necessarily “develop” them.

If that’s the case, why do people think Buddy and Girard have basically already peaked? Shouldn’t all the minutes they’ve gotten and will continue to get “develop” them further?

This isn’t some exact science where linear improvement directly correlates with more minutes, for every single player.
How do players get better without playing time?
Practice is the bullchit response but different players are held to different standards and sorry that is noted.

The starting backcourt was not miles better than the bench.
Just because our HC is comfortable with the starters doesn’t mean they don’t get worn down.

Better players on other teams don’t play as much and the gap is large from them to their bench.

I count 10 scholarship players, as of now.

3 guards, 4 forwards, and 3 centers.
Yeah if we keep Braswell it’s 10.
Which is still not good roster management to have 3 open scholarships after all that complaints about the sanctions and lost scholarships.

Yeah if we keep Braswell it’s 10.
Which is still not good roster management to have 3 open scholarships after all that complaints about the sanctions and lost scholarships.
I just keep wondering about injuries, potential for redshirts, etc.

We need some more bodies.

Had we?
We didn’t.
Maybe if the bench played more we win those games.
Then if you want to play the what if game.

Well, those game were all winnable, and came down to a possession or two. Maybe if the bench played more, we get blown out. You see, playing better players give us a better chance to win games.

How do players get better without playing time?
Practice is the bullchit response but different players are held to different standards and sorry that is noted.

The starting backcourt was not miles better than the bench.
Just because our HC is comfortable with the starters doesn’t mean they don’t get worn down.

Better players on other teams don’t play as much and the gap is large from them to their bench.

Practice, off-season workouts, S&C program, etc.

The starting backcourt was clearly miles better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom