Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 36 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

How about you both (all) just rationally debate the actual points instead of getting pissy with personal insults and D-measuring contests. Why can’t people express counter/opposite opinions without being douchebags...

Eleanor Roosevelt:
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.”
Stop making sense. Please

Practice + showing up early and staying late to work on things+playing in the summer = a heck of a lot more time than the games. You get better by constantly putting in the work year round.

Getting force fed game minutes you’re not ready for doesnt necessarily help...IMO it only helps when you prove you’re ready for them and you produce when you’re in there.

Michael Edwards should’ve “developed” into a great guard for us after getting a lot of minutes as a freshman, no?

We got a board full of Allen Iverson’s. Yet, you would think BG actually performed well in games, and practice was just an anomaly, based on the responses here.

I'm 100% with you KSCU. He tweeted me yesterday thanking me for being his biggest fan. He said he hopes to prove all of those who said he sucked wrong. I told him there were only a handful, and they clearly are uneducated on the game of basketball. Kid has skill, and it even showed in the very, very limited time he had.

No bias here, from the leader of his fan club. I do wish he proved us uneducated folk wrong though. By sticking it out, and forcing JB to play him more. He far from sucks, but he was also far from a starting caliber guard this season. Yeah, yeah, JG, and BB too. I’m truly happy for the kid that he’s going to a program much more suited for his game.

But he just said if we land 3 players by the start of next season, it‘s good roster management. Said it’s about talent. HoWash and Goodine didn’t look too good. If we replace them with better players, that’s good, right?
We say we are getting the next savior every year, yet we just had our worst season in like forever. I guess the guys we actually did play didn't look too good either.

We say we are getting the next savior every year, yet we just had our worst season in like forever. I guess the guys we actually did play didn't look too good either.

Meh...we lost 4 starters. It was a young team, that got better as the year went on. I guess the fact that those kids couldn‘t crack the rotation on an 18-14 tells most of the story.

Thought this deserved a separate response.

No coach is going to sacrifice winning games to "develop" their freshmen for the following year. Every coach is going to try to win every single game. And every coach is going to play the kids that will help him win every game possible.

JB doesn't grind to be mediocre. Had we won ND/VT at home, Clemson/FSU on the road, Miami on the road, that's 5 more wins and NCAAT. He doesn't play to lose games.
Five more wins is quite a few in a "had we" scenario.

Carey sat out with an injury. Goodine also got injured. Howard Washington just is not very good. Both Goodine and Washington had plenty of playing time, but neither did much. It's about winning games. If those kids want to transfer, that's up to them. We knew Carey and HoWash were probably gone anyway. Can't blame Goodine for wanting to play close to home. If they were better, they would have played more.

Nice.

Washington had a better assist to turnover margin, more assists per 40 minutes, more rebounds per 40, more steals per 40, and a better free throw percentage (100% but only 7 attempts) than Girard and BuddyB. He had his shortcomings but don't go saying he couldn't play when he was better than both starting guards in 5 categories.

As far as Goodine is concerned, in the next 3 years he'll prove how good he is. I think he has a lot of potential and should've played more.

As far as Carey is concerned, he needs to get in a running and pressing system that plays 3 or 4 guards and where he isn't the primary ballhandler.

Meh...we lost 4 starters. It was a young team, that got better as the year went on. I guess the fact that those kids couldn‘t crack the rotation on an 18-14 tells most of the story.
Not necessarily the story you might think it does

you were wrong on points 1 and 2 so why should anyone consider your points 3 through 5 have any value
i know i don't
A couple of points.
1 He was our best recruit by far
2. He was injured
3-5. Mute point.
Last point. When you know something actually anything about basketball PM. Otherwise block me or dont ever bother to waste my time.

A couple of points.
2. He was injured
3-5. Mute point.
Last point. When you know something actually anything about basketball PM. Otherwise block me or dont ever bother to waste my time.
Why the need to add your "last point"? Trying to start another alsacs vs alpharetta passing contest?

A couple of points.
2. He was injured
3-5. Mute point.

He wasn’t injured in November when he got a crack and couldn’t cut the mustard. Joe stepped right in and produced.

I say this to point out the irrelevance of “he was our best recruit” - because he wasn’t our best freshman guard. Maybe he ends up being better, maybe he doesn’t. But he wasn’t better than Joe this year.

The injury set him back, I agree. He was coming on at the end and I would’ve liked to see him in there more at that point.

Not true at all. There are kids at every single program that are not happy with their playing time and there will be 800 kids in the transfer portal. There are staffs all over reaching out to kids they want to poach, and some before the kid announces he's leaving.
What is true is this he was never afforded the chance that joe or buddy got to develop and it is also clear that he will be a better player in the long run. Time for JB to go play golf ⛳ . The program needs some fresh air.

What is true is this he was never afforded the chance that joe or buddy got to develop and it is also clear that he will be a better player in the long run. Time for JB to go play golf ⛳ . The program needs some fresh air.

You don’t get to play as much if you’re not as good. That’s the way it goes.

And I don’t think it’s clear at all that he’ll be a better player in the long run. Based on what? Jumping high?

Carey sat out with an injury. Goodine also got injured. Howard Washington just is not very good. Both Goodine and Washington had plenty of playing time, but neither did much. It's about winning games. If those kids want to transfer, that's up to them. We knew Carey and HoWash were probably gone anyway. Can't blame Goodine for wanting to play close to home. If they were better, they would have played more.

If was about winning game then why start guards who won’ and can’t play defense

You don’t get to play as much if you’re not as good. That’s the way it goes.

And I don’t think it’s clear at all that he’ll be a better player in the long run. Based on what? Jumping high?

Based on our record. JB plays to win right? It’s obviously not working out . It starts at the top . Now we start the annual season of chasing grad transfers. Where is the AD?

Last edited:
its extremely rare for JB to play more than 7. Right or wrong its how he coaches. I think that Goodine and Edwards if given the opportunity to play 10 minutes each a game would have become solid contributors. Buddy and Joe deserved to start but Goodine and Edwards deserved to play more. Hopefully Jim adds a few kids in the off-season who can help us next year.

You mean in a season where fans had understandable low expectations you want to see the program try and develop its players rather than treat every game as a game 7 and grind to be mediocre that season.

I would take one step back to go two steps forward the following year. Instead of just trying to grind to stay mediocre and not better in the future.
Next year now looks like another low expectation year and this year did little to help the future.
Haha. I initially read your post completely wrong and responded accordingly. Then I saw that you wrote it and thought, "Wait, that couldn't gave been what he meant," and deleted my response.

I realize it's up to the players, if they choose to transfer. It's the 'why' and the number at one position that concerns me, and I don't blame the players. It's not normal for every bench player at a position to want to transfer. If we had all american players returning or were bringing in a 4 player class stacked with MAAs and the writing was on the wall that guys had been recruited over, it would make sense. That isn't our situation.

People have already mentioned opportunities we had to get Goodine in games more to give Buddy and Joe rest or provide a change up when they were having an off game or half (and he's the one people are most lamenting the loss of). They've pointed out where he came in briefly, played well, and inexplicably never saw rhe floor the rest of the game.

Are you trying to tell me our starters were so amazingly outstanding we couldn't find minutes for other guys? I've already pointed out where, in the past, we had all americans that played fewer minutes than Buddy and Joe did this year. If those guys could come off the court from time to time, there's no reason we couldn't have rested our current guys a little more. People aren't talking about massive minutes. They're talking another 2 minutes per half for each starter. That's another 8 minutes per game for someone like Goodine that helps his development, rests the starters, and lets a guy know he'll see meaningful minutes in the future.

Last edited:
I realize it's up to players, if they choose to transfer. It's the 'why' and the number at one position that concerns me, and I don't blame the players. It's not normal for every bench player at a position to want to transfer. If we had all american players returning or were bringing in a 4 player class stacked with MAAs and the writing was on the wall that guys had been recruited over, it would make sense. That isn't our situation.

People have already mentioned opportunities we had to get Goodine in games more to give Buddy and Joe rest or provide a change up when they were having an off game or half (and he's the one people are most lamenting the loss of). They've pointed out where he came in briefly, played well, and inexplicably never saw rhe floor the rest of the game.

Are you trying to tell me our starters were so amazingly outstanding we couldn't find minutes for other guys? I've already pointed out where, in the past, we had all americans that played fewer minutes than Buddy and Joe did this year. If those guys could come off the court from time to time, there's no reason we couldn't have rested our current guys a little more. People aren't talking about massive minutes. They're talking another 2 minutes per half for each starter. That's another 8 minutes per game for someone like Goodine that helps his development, rests the starters, and lets a guy know he'll see meaningful minutes in the future.
Didn’t you hear we can only score now by shooting 3 point baskets.

To JB’s credit our offense was better this year. Mainly because Hughes a player I didn’t see becoming first team all-ACC was insanely efficient. I wasn’t high on Hughes and I have given JB and kid credit a lot since then. Without him we aren’t even close to mediocre this year.

It doesn’t change the fact we are losing our best player next year and currently our only replacements are more minutes for Guerrier and Braswell.

Hopefully one of them is good.
We have 3 scholarship guards on this roster. So we better add more to the backcourt. We aren’t connected to any guards right now. Just keep calm though it will work itself out and we can potentially be mediocre again next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom