Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Brycen Goodine Transferring to Providence

If Kadary is treated like Brycen minutes wise yet is even more talented you can expect a lot of us will be finding something else to watch. If Joe and Buddy play 39 a game each this team doesn't reach it's potential and frustrates everyone again.

I'm holding out optimism because I could use some amidst the forced cynicism of 2020.
Jim likes to win more than anything else, if he has a player he feels will help him do that, that player will get time, if not he will not. I think we should at least wait until we see a player before we anoint him as deserving of minutes.
I for one hope he is the second coming of Dave Bing, but that is just a hope, I would be happy with a little less than that.

Jim likes to win more than anything else, if he has a player he feels will help him do that, that player will get time, if not he will not. I think we should at least wait until we see a player before we anoint him as deserving of minutes.
I for one hope he is the second coming of Dave Bing, but that is just a hope, I would be happy with a little less than that.

I wasn't anointing him at all if you read my post.

I wasn't anointing him at all if you read my post.
Then what was that whole thing about him being more talented than Goodine and not getting minutes? He may be but I do not know at this juncture nor I think do you. I guess I just did not get the whole point of your post.

I really wish this could have played out more as I thought he had some talent. Boeheim doesn’t let his players just play and this was a perfect example of it. He wants players that are going to make few mistakes and be kept in a bubble. Until they get to a point where they become “the guy” for a year. I would love to have an entire team where you actually let the player play to see how it plays out. He’s going to be good at Prov

I really wish this could have played out more as I thought he had some talent. Boeheim doesn’t let his players just play and this was a perfect example of it. He wants players that are going to make few mistakes and be kept in a bubble. Until they get to a point where they become “the guy” for a year. I would love to have an entire team where you actually let the player play to see how it plays out. He’s going to be good at Prov

It’s funny because Boeheim used to get criticized for “just rolling the balls out” back in the day.

I thought BG showed promise at times last year too. Might just be a guy who needs a little time. Not everybody is ready to do it in the ACC as a freshman.

See and this is exactly why last season was such an anomaly. JGIII made plenty of mistakes as any freshman would, but his seemed to be forgiven quickly and overlooked. There were few long stretches on the bench for Buddy Boeheim so he could "figure things out". Meanwhile, BG and HW, even when they played well, were soon watching for the next 3 games, while the anointed ones gobbled up 37 mins per. Ridiculous.

Last edited:
It’s funny because Boeheim used to get criticized for “just rolling the balls out” back in the day.

I thought BG showed promise at times last year too. Might just be a guy who needs a little time. Not everybody is ready to do it in the ACC as a freshman.
College basketball Players used to be patient. Also the talent we used to have in the 1980s or in the 1990s I think it was smart to just roll the ball out when we are rolling out a front line of Billy Owens, Derrick Coleman, and Stevie Thompson.

When that is your front line ride those horses. The talent we’ve been playing the last few years is not anywhere close to the talent that we had. We have played short rotations sonin the short term we could be competitive and mediocre.
We lost a good player because he saw the writing on the wall.

Loved Goodine until he suited up here.. He was a semblance of the player I thought we signed. Great shooter, played above the rim, adequate handle and could play defense. But under the bright lights never showed anything. He never would have played before Kadary and he made the right move. Those of you arguing with SU Bear don't have a leg to stand on. He even looked like a mess against the patsies, and I kept waiting for him to get his act together, you know make a jumper every 20 games.

So shooting really is the only important thing in SU hoops. Great to know.

Oh, I really want to go so much further with this one. Discretion...
No but it would be nice to have a sg who could shoot there is a reason it's called shooting guard.

Loved Goodine until he suited up here.. He was a semblance of the player I thought we signed. Great shooter, played above the rim, adequate handle and could play defense. But under the bright lights never showed anything. He never would have played before Kadary and he made the right move. Those of you arguing with SU Bear don't have a leg to stand on. He even looked like a mess against the patsies, and I kept waiting for him to get his act together, you know make a jumper every 20 games.
Getting 2-5 minutes “under the bright lights” every 3rd game, doesn’t leave much room for error, especially when you realize that one missed shot or errant pass will send you back to the bench. Worse yet, even when you DO play well like he did in a couple of instances, you STILL find yourself riding pine while watching as another pair of guards make numerous mistakes on defense, or miss shots at a prodigious clip.
He never got a fair and equitable shot, that’s the point here. Why should he be judged differently and then condemned for not living up to the unfair & uneven standards?

Getting 2-5 minutes “under the bright lights” every 3rd game, doesn’t leave much room for error, especially when you realize that one missed shot or errant pass will send you back to the bench. Worse yet, even when you DO play well like he did in a couple of instances, you STILL find yourself riding pine while watching as another pair of guards make numerous mistakes on defense, or miss shots at a prodigious clip.
He never got a fair and equitable shot, that’s the point here. Why should he be judged differently and then condemned for not living up to the unfair & uneven standards?
the guy shot 30% from the field and 12.5% from 3 on the year - I think he was fairly judged

the guy shot 30% from the field and 12.5% from 3 on the year - I think he was fairly judged
I feel like you’re making my point for me. His numbers suck because...wait for it, he never got a fair chance to improve on them, especially when compared to the other two. Let’s agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Well, his stats speak for themselves. Mookie Jones put on a clinic compared to Brycen and didn't play much. Why should he be given more of a shot than him? Brycen was seriously bad. JB isn't going to play him. C'mon. Cry
Ing towel post. Everyone that transfers gets this talk after they leave. Players have to earn their time, not given time . This is big time not the CYO.

Well, his stats speak for themselves. Mookie Jones put on a clinic compared to Brycen and didn't play much. Why should he be given more of a shot than him? Brycen was seriously bad. JB isn't going to play him. C'mon. Cry
Ing towel post. Everyone that transfers gets this talk after they leave. Players have to earn their time, not given time . This is big time not the CYO.
Puhleeze. Mookie had real talent in front of him, all due respect to JGIII & Buddy. To compare the two scenarios is to be mired in a myopic haze, and being unwilling to objectively review the differing circumstances. I stand by my original point- the numbers, especially 36+ mins per game for the Dynamic Duo, speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Then what was that whole thing about him being more talented than Goodine and not getting minutes? He may be but I do not know at this juncture nor I think do you. I guess I just did not get the whole point of your post.

Sheesh. I said if he was more talented. I think he will be but that is to be seen. Brycen should have had more opportunities but worse than that it was as clear as day that Joe and Buddy were worn down and defensively we struggled at the top of the zone. The formula of playing those two 40 mins a game doesn't work. If Kadary is a step up from Brycen and Joe and Buddy are still playing 40- the wins aren't piling up and we will see issues like we did last year. That is my point. Not using a valuable piece is my point. We were 18-14 last year and squeaked into the tourney the previous two years basically playing two guards every night. It has not been a formula of success.

Brycen could not shoot at a high level, had nothing to do with anything else.

He won the preseason 3-point shooting contest last year over Hughes, BuddyB, and Girard - he made 12 of 15. If he started and/or played significant minutes maybe he shoots better than what he did playing sparingly.

He won the preseason 3-point shooting contest last year over Hughes, BuddyB, and Girard - he made 12 of 15. If he started and/or played significant minutes maybe he shoots better than what he did playing sparingly.

Didnt he play significant minutes in the preseason games?

You can become a better shooter but you can’t become longer, faster and a better defender. He would have been a good player for us. He should have played more. The guys playing in front of him should have not been playing 40+ mins

You can become a better shooter but not a better defender? I disagree with that statement. You can absolutely become a better defender.

You appear to struggle with facts, he left of his own accord therefore he did not stay to improve his shooting. Fact not conjecture.
This is just dumb. He enrolled at another school where he can continue working on his shooting. Do you really believe Syracuse is the only place where shooting is emphasized?

And yet we weren’t close to competing seriously in the ACC or making the NCAA.

Puhleeze. Mookie had real talent in front of him, all due respect to JGIII & Buddy. To compare the two scenarios is to be mired in a myopic haze, and being unwilling to objectively review the differing circumstances. I stand by my original point- the numbers, especially 36+ mins per game for the Dynamic Duo, speak for themselves.
Typical , blame Boeheim because the kid couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time. HE DIDNT PLAY BECAUSE HE WAS AWFUL. Puhleeze

Typical , blame Boeheim because the kid couldn't chew gum and walk at the same time. HE DIDNT PLAY BECAUSE HE WAS AWFUL. Puhleeze
You’re bad at evaluating basketball players

See and this is exactly why last season was such an anomaly. JGIII made plenty of mistakes as any freshman would, but his seemed to be forgiven quickly and overlooked. There were few long stretches on the bench for Buddy Boeheim so he could "figure things out". Meanwhile, BG and HW, even when they played well, were soon watching for the next 3 games, while the anointed ones gobbled up 37 mins per. Ridiculous.
goodine was like 3-27 from 3

now what did he shoot in game?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom