Bubble Watch - Conf Tourney Saturday (Still Alive) | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Bubble Watch - Conf Tourney Saturday (Still Alive)

I have a hard time giving a 1 seed to a team that finished 5th in the regular season.
Again that is BS. Duke played the top 9 ACC teams on the road. North Carolina only played 5 of 9.
Just because UNC played SU at home and Duke played them on the road make an unbalanced schedule a difference.
SU 8-1 at home 2-7 on the road.

The committee looks at that stuff.
Duke played a way harder schedule and in the ACC the top road record. was 5-4. If Duke played at Pitt and BC like UNC did they go 5-4 like UNC did.

I think Duke has a better case for a 1 seed than North Carolina.
Duke played the top 9 ACC teams on the road.
UNC played 5 of the top 9 ACC teams on the road.
That probably tacked one or two extra loses on Duke and saved UNC an extra loss.
Both way played tough nonconference schedules.
UNC beat Wisconsin, Tennessee, Davidson, Monmouth, Oklahoma State.
Duke beat Michigan State, Rhode Island, Florida, Penn State,

UNC went 15-5 in ACC play.
Duke went 15-7 in ACC play.
I can reasonably say the difference is the road schedules.

North Carolina won an unbalanced regular season title
Duke won the conference title. Beating Clemson-Louisville-North Carolina-Notre Dame on consecutive days.

Duke beat North Carolina 2 of 3 times. Including tiebreaker on neutral court.

All of this to me adds up to reasonably concluding Duke could or maybe should be above North Carolina on the S-Curve.

They have an arugument for sure and conference record/standing does not matter! The committee has been clear about that. Duke only has one 'bad loss' as well. NC St. I think.

There could be something to that, but Duke also battled injury issues over the course of the season and they look whole right now. One seed good? I dunno, i get what youre saying

Every time they won a game the past two months(Since Giles/Tatum/Bolden returned)the media kept saying Duke looked whole again. Then they lost more games. I don't get it. I think part of it is trying to fit a narrative because a lot of media types had them running away with everything this year.

If the committee comes out and says they value conference tournaments than body of work more I get it, but that's not wat they say.

I don't. and that is where I am coming from. He has in my opinion, under performed at ND. He has done well the last two years+ but 3 sweet 16's in 17 years is bad. And before the last two years it was 1 in 15 years. How he kept his job, I can't imagine.

shows the second tier status of hoops at Notre Dame that he wasn't fired.

Every time they won a game the past two months(Since Giles/Tatum/Bolden returned)the media kept saying Duke looked whole again. Then they lost more games. I don't get it. I think part of it is trying to fit a narrative because a lot of media types had them running away with everything this year.

If the committee comes out and says they value conference tournaments than body of work more I get it, but that's not wat they say.

All of this doesn't really matter because their data is certainly good enough to warrant a 1 seed. 5 wins on the road. Don't they have like 16 Top 100 wins now?! Beating UNC twice. Only one bad loss.

Duke is reaping the benefit Big East teams got from 2010-2013 that conference was insanely loaded and when you win the conference tournament and beat 4 good teams it bumps you up. I think they have a better resume than UNC.

All of this doesn't really matter because their data is certainly good enough to warrant a 1 seed. 5 wins on the road. Don't they have like 16 Top 100 wins now?! Beating UNC twice. Only one bad loss.

Then losses don't count for anything? The points people are making about Duke being a one is the exact reason why we should be in the tournament.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but Duke's AD is on the committee. Hopefully, that win over them burns in his mind...
Good thing JB cussed out Greensboro - I'm sure that sat well with our lone ACC rep on the committee.

Duke's conference road schedule
@ North Carolina 1-2 seed
@ Florida State 3-4 seed
@ Louisville 2-3 seed
@ Notre Dame 3-4 seed
@ Virginia 5-6 seed
@ Virginia Tech 8-9 seed
@ Syracuse bubble team
@ Miami 8-9 seed
@ Wake bubble team

That schedule is insane. Maybe 1 or 2 teams could go better than 4-5.

Hasn't Allen been battling a sore ankle for a while? Allen and jefferson sat out the Miami game, no?

I may be a little biased, Duke has been pretty good to me gambling wise the last week.

Tweet from mid nite last nite

#Selections Update: Committee breaking for the night. Enough teams selected, but there are contingencies based on tomorrow's outcomes.

This tell me if vcu beats Rhode Island then Rhode Island is out and next team out (cuse?) gets in. Go vcu.

Tweet from mid nite last nite

#Selections Update: Committee breaking for the night. Enough teams selected, but there are contingencies based on tomorrow's outcomes.

This tell me if vcu beats Rhode Island then Rhode Island is out and next team out (cuse?) gets in. Go vcu.
I think they know if URI is in or out. I think this is about seeding more than anything

Good thing JB cussed out Greensboro - I'm sure that sat well with our lone ACC rep on the committee.
He didn't cuss out Greensboro. Next, JB said that Greensboro should be thrown out of the U.S. He said he didn't think a major conference should hold their tournament there instead of a big city.

Again that is BS. Duke played the top 9 ACC teams on the road. North Carolina only played 5 of 9.
Just because UNC played SU at home and Duke played them on the road make an unbalanced schedule a difference.
SU 8-1 at home 2-7 on the road.

The committee looks at that stuff.
Duke played a way harder schedule and in the ACC the top road record. was 5-4. If Duke played at Pitt and BC like UNC did they go 5-4 like UNC did.
I'm not going to argue about this because I hardly care. But Duke finished 5th in their league. Anything else is spin. They finished 5th. 4 teams finished ahead of them. It wasn't just UNC. They might get a #1 seed. But if they didn't have the name Duke on the shirts, they would not get a #1 seed.

I'm not going to argue about this because I hardly care. But Duke finished 5th in their league. Anything else is spin. They finished 5th. 4 teams finished ahead of them. It wasn't just UNC. They might get a #1 seed. But if they didn't have the name Duke on the shirts, they would not get a #1 seed.
They finished 1 game out of 2nd.
5th place is irrelevant when the conference was jammed together and nobody won games on the road at best at 1 game above 500 level.

Their resume screams 1 or 2 seed.

Jay Bilas saying "it's not even close, Syracuse is in" makes me feel better. I know he doesn't help make the decision, I know he's friends with JB too, but he's a very smart guy, so that gives me a good feeling.

They finished 1 game out of 2nd.
5th place is irrelevant when the conference was jammed together and nobody won games on the road at best at 1 game above 500 level.

Their resume screams 1 or 2 seed.

I agree with dash. If it was any other school outside of UK we wouldn't even be having this discussion. There's definitely bias involved.

I agree with dash. If it was any other school outside of UK we wouldn't even be having this discussion. There's definitely bias involved.
Their road schedule is why they as many loss as they have you would concede right?

If Duke played UNC's schedule I think they finish above 11-7.

With unbalanced schedules regular season finish is skewed a lot.

You have been consistently critical of Duke all year. Why don't you think they get a break because of all their injuries? You don't think they are a lot better now that they are healthy?

You have been consistently critical of Duke all year. Why don't you think they get a break because of all their injuries? You don't think they are a lot better now that they are healthy?

Have they had all their players since December besides Jefferson/Allen missing one game? I'm not being critical, I'm just pointing out I believe there's bias involved depending on the school.

Have they had all their players since December besides Jefferson/Allen missing one game? I'm not being critical, I'm just pointing out I believe there's bias involved depending on the school.

They've been a disjointed mess. I'd have to check, but I think you're right. Still, I said I thought they were much better and would be firing on all cylinders by year's end. They are. I personally think they should be the 4th number one seed. They are one of the 4 best teams right now but yeah, they haven't had one of the 4 best seasons so far. Tough call but I think they are better than Gonzaga for sure against a MUCH tougher schedule.

Their road schedule is why they as many loss as they have you would concede right?

If Duke played UNC's schedule I think they finish above 11-7.

With unbalanced schedules regular season finish is skewed a lot.
If they did finish second I would have a lot more sympathy for the excuse that they had a tougher schedule. But they didn't. The finished in 5th place. And we are going to give them a top 4 seed. I can't agree with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom