Buddy Boeheim: OKC Thunder | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy Boeheim: OKC Thunder

I usually agree with your NBA takes, but Cole or Buddy getting NBA time would be incredible at this point? I’ll bet you straight up that BOTH guys get a minute of time this year, $100 bucks to the Boeheim Foundation?

I won't wager with you, I don't do that via message board peeps as I've gotten older (just a thing, totally appreciate the charitable aspect).

You think Buddy will play a meaningful minute on an NBA team this year? I get Cole. Sure, he has a shot (even tho I wouldn't bet on it), but Buddy? I think that is a very long shot.

I think the better bet is if Cole or Buddy get any time in year two. They might find their way on a roster this year and get a minute in garbage time. However, I don’t see either sticking long term. That’s really what counts. Not if they see one minute this year.

Last edited:
I won't wager with you, I don't do that via message board peeps as I've gotten older (just a thing, totally appreciate the charitable aspect).

You think Buddy will play a meaningful minute on an NBA team this year? I get Cole. Sure, he has a shot (even tho I wouldn't bet on it), but Buddy? I think that is a very long shot.
Will the Pistons even play a meaningful minute this year?

I'll say that with Cade and Ivey, they aren't going to be full tankathon for Vic because I think they just have too much young talent besides those two with Bey and Duren.

I think they'll be scrappy and a fun watch and have a bad but not atrocious record.

Maybe not, though. Guess we'll see.

Whats the difference besides cole being a few inches taller? I understand that could be a huge difference but wondering if there are other reasons.

I personally dont see either making it for long. Summer games don’t mean a ton. I think AO was MVP of the summer league (or he crushed it) and barely got any time in the nba.

Heres a good question—Are cole and buddy better nba prospects than andy rautins was because rautins i think got drafted and barely played in the nba.

Here's the thing - I think Cole got an excellent fit. He is super-affordable and the Lakers really suffered at the lack of 3 point shooting last year. It really was their Achille's Heel that they didn't have those 2 or 3 guys who could hit the three and play some defense.

Now, Cole is not a great defensive player, and is maybe only marginal. But he is 6-9, he can grab some rebounds, he can block out on the boards, he can even block a shot every now and then. Plus, at his size, he really has pretty good passing skills. He is helping Pippen bring the ball upcourt, almost like a 2 guard in some of their possessions. Cole is going to make the team. The need and fit is there.

I think it's too bad they got rid of Grant and Drummond. It seemed like they were about to build a team, and then changed their minds and tore it down. Very strange to me, but I'm no NBA expert.

I enjoy watching NBA games again more than any non-SU college games, except maybe Regional Finals and Final Four. NBA ball is so much better now. Shooting is phenomenal. Defense is good (great during the playoffs) without nearly so many fouls as you see defenders getting away with in the NCAA.

Here's the thing - I think Cole got an excellent fit. He is super-affordable and the Lakers really suffered at the lack of 3 point shooting last year. It really was their Achille's Heel that they didn't have those 2 or 3 guys who could hit the three and play some defense.

Now, Cole is not a great defensive player, and is maybe only marginal. But he is 6-9, he can grab some rebounds, he can block out on the boards, he can even block a shot every now and then. Plus, at his size, he really has pretty good passing skills. He is helping Pippen bring the ball upcourt, almost like a 2 guard in some of their possessions. Cole is going to make the team. The need and fit is there.
From a couple of message boards I read, Laker fans are very happy with what they see in Cole.
I think he gets some burn in the league- that team needs shooters more than anything. He’s played very well, and it’s been noticed.
Because of the Steph Curry effect the Association is all about shooters now. Cole’s shot is a thing of beauty, and with his length he’ll give defensive players fits. And no, he won’t have to create for himself, because the team will set him up for many catch&shoot opportunities.
I’ll go on record that he’ll have a spot on the bench, and a real shot to make it. If it was up to Laker fans, he’d be a lock.

We shall see. Im not sure about his rebounding and I don’t ever see him bringing the ball up the court in the nba.

We shall see. Im not sure about his rebounding and I don’t ever see him bringing the ball up the court in the nba.

He will never be more than a second unit guy. He'll get a couple 6-8 minute stretches in each half, probably bridging quarters while the starters get extended rest. He couldn't do much damage in 12-16 minutes a game, and has huge upside in that kind of usage scenario. In that amount of time, he could hit 3-4 threes on a good night, sometimes more.

Cole can't play D at the NBA level at all. On ball or rotating right now.

He can kind of board for his role. He is catch and shoot.

The NBA is super hard to make and even harder to be in the rotation. The fact that Cole is doing what he is doing in SL is a testament to the kid's work ethic.

Agree with almost all of this. Cole, unlike Jimmy B, won't get pushed under the basket on foul shots. That's a sort of minimum for a 6-9 guy, and he seems like he has enough beef to block guys out.

I agree that he can "sort of" of board, and get maybe 3 or 4 boards a game in his limited role. But he will add a few other items to the stat line - a block or assist here or there, a steal, a tipped ball.

I think he got a great opportunity. On most other teams, he would not be getting this kind of look.

This Pistons group are a bunch of chuckers. Pull up 3 after pull up 3 followed by contested 3 followed by poorly executed 1 on 1 moves. Sad seeing these guys thinking that is how they are going to have a shot with any roster let alone this one.

This is a hard game to watch. Detroit not playing well at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom