Buddy will be in the NBA | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy will be in the NBA

Give him some time. He will get stronger and quicker. Probably not NBA quality but certainly College BB quality. Reminds me a little of Ron Baker who came in unheralded, played on a strong team, got better over the years and made a couple of NBA rosters for short stints.
I’d love to see Buddy as good as Ron Baker was in all aspects of the game. So far Buddy has been pretty one dimensional. Ron Baker at WSU was a total player who took over games.

That’s high praise indeed. I haven’t yet seen that kind of athleticism and general basketball skill from Buddy.

I am using ACC figures. He is about to lead the ACC in ACC 3 pt. shooting %. That is impressive. It seems that most people do not realize his potential.
JJR is a great athlete. Kerr was not. Kerr is right in observing that the NBA has improved. His success was due to MJ. Some team might offer similar opportunity for another lights out shooter.

Buddy has some major work to do. If his athleticism ticks up I would not be surprised if he makes the NBA. We should not be surprised to see some record breaking 3 pt shooting. I'm surprised that everyone is so skeptical.

You said- "Buddy will make the NBA".

I’d love to see Buddy as good as Ron Baker was in all aspects of the game. So far Buddy has been pretty one dimensional. Ron Baker at WSU was a total player who took over games.

That’s high praise indeed. I haven’t yet seen that kind of athleticism and general basketball skill from Buddy.
Yeah, my thought on that was Baker made himself into that kind of player and was able to play off having other strong players around him. I don't think Baker was highly recruited out of high school. Maybe a better comparison for Baker would have been Eric Dungey.

We’ll see. I’d say that’s a very long shot at this point, but if he leaves college basketball as one of its elite shooters, that certainly puts him on the radar.

I never thought Andy Rautins would sniff the NBA - until his senior year.

I doubt it, but you never know.

And just wait until Hicks gets a hold of him in the weight room.

Why would Hicks be doing anything with him. Ryan Cabiles is the basketball S&C coach. Or am I missing a joke?

Why would Hicks be doing anything with him. Ryan Cabiles is the basketball S&C coach. Or am I missing a joke?
Eh, just a tip of the hat to our wonderful S&C program turning our shooters into meatheads who can't shoot.

Eh, just a tip of the hat to our wonderful S&C program turning our shooters into meatheads who can't shoot.

Like who? Cooney is our only strong guy I can think of whose percentages declined.

Coondog, triche...

let's be honest we haven't had many natural shooters to ruin in the first place.

Sorry, edited right after I posted.

Not sure on Triche. He shot the 3 poorly his senior year, but not sure that was the reason?

Our shooters I can think of either got a lot better(Nichols, Rautins, Southerland, Shumpert, Gbinije) or roughly stayed the same(GMac, Devendorf)

Sorry, edited right after I posted.

Not sure on Triche. He shot the 3 poorly his senior year, but not sure that was the reason?

Our shooters I can think of either got a lot better(Nichols, Rautins, Southerland, Shumpert, Gbinije) or roughly stayed the same(GMac, Devendorf)

Triche was no different than Battle. Neither had the greatest mechanics to begin with and shot better earlier in their career from being the fourth option, not one or 2.

I think you need to go YouTube some JJ highlights from he was at Duke. Buddy is having a year that passes many expectations but lets reel it in a bit with comparing him to a guy that was NPOY and one of the best scorers in conference history.
But they are both tall, white and shoot 3 pointers well.

Just for fun I looked up Steve Kerr' s freshman stats. He averaged 11 ppg on 51% shooting (the 3 point line did not exist at the time).

Buddy is averaging 5 ppg on 36% shooting by comparison.

For the record, I believe Buddy probably could have played in the NBA in the 80s when the game was much slower paced and nobody knew how to guard shooters. Neither he nor Steve Kerr would make it in today's NBA, however. Steve Kerr has said the same btw, not about Buddy obviously, but about himself.
Some people have no idea how great these guys athletically. The best players make the other guys, who are in the top 1% in the world athletically, look silly
Curry, at 6'3" just hangs people out to dry. No one can stop Harden. No one. Westbrook. Just a crazy, crazy athlete. HOF NFL talent at RB/WR/S.

Like who? Cooney is our only strong guy I can think of whose percentages declined.

I was never a real Cooney fan. But in fairness, there were games in his upper class seasons in which he was the offense and he careened around the court trying to get an open look off a screen. So that his percentage would fall under those circumstances is hardly surprising to me.

Statistics only tell part of any story.

I was never a real Cooney fan. But in fairness, there were games in his upper class seasons in which he was the offense and he careened around the court trying to get an open look off a screen. So that his percentage would fall under those circumstances is hardly surprising to me.

Statistics only tell part of any story.

Agreed. All his percentages dropped from his soph year though. 2 pointers and FT’s too.

More muscle will never make an athlete worse at their sport. Unless you don't know what the heck you're doing and find a way to wreck your shoulders with bad form, building muscle will make your joints stronger and improve flexibility, which are good things.

My head is still spinning a little over the GMac quote from the show the other night. He said Buddy hit 38 3s in a row in a practice.

38 free throws in a row is exceptional. 38 3s seems almost Larry Bird like.

If GMac had to work at the end of practice to hit 5 3s in a row, 38 in a row is in the stratosphere.

My head is still spinning a little over the GMac quote from the show the other night. He said Buddy hit 38 3s in a row in a practice.

38 free throws in a row is exceptional. 38 3s seems almost Larry Bird like.

If GMac had to work at the end of practice to hit 5 3s in a row, 38 in a row is in the stratosphere.
You’re a dinosaur. This is what gets JAB in trouble. Kids today find it easier to shoot 3s than to shoot free throws.

This thread makes my head hurt. Now everyone thinks once they make a few threes they’re Steph Curry.

I saw Kerr play in college. He was not a better athlete or ball handler. When anyone came close to him he passed like the ball was a hot potato. I've never seen anything like it before or since. Buddy is making 30 3 pt shots in a row in practice. I would not be surprised if we see some impressive shooting from him. He shoots 3 pointers as if they are foul shots.

Seems kind of difficult to avg 4 assists per year for 3 years in a row if you just get rid of the ball anytime someone comes near you. We barely have a guy averaging 3 a game.

You’re a dinosaur. This is what gets JAB in trouble. Kids today find it easier to shoot 3s than to shoot free throws.

Why don’t you try making a comment that is halfway intelligent? Maybe you could support this verbal diarrhea of yours with some facts.

For example, what players can you name whose FT percentages are lower than their 3 pt percentages?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom