Buddy will be in the NBA | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy will be in the NBA

Some people have no idea how great these guys athletically. The best players make the other guys, who are in the top 1% in the world athletically, look silly
Curry, at 6'3" just hangs people out to dry. No one can stop Harden. No one. Westbrook. Just a crazy, crazy athlete. HOF NFL talent at RB/WR/S.

The reason why the best players, especially when it comes to Curry and Harden, are unstoppable at times, is not their separation of athleticism from the top 1% you mention, but the separation of their immense skill set. Curry and Harden no doubt are very good athletes, but they are not exceptional, nowhere at the level of athlete that Westbrook is. If Westbrook's shooting skills were just slightly better than what they are, along with his superior handle and freakish athleticism, well, as Donnie Brasco said...

tenor.gif

Forget an NBA lock down defender .. how did buddy look against the tight D of FSU? There are hundreds of dudes that can shoot the lights out wide open from the college three
Not much. But you can learn to use screens and you can learn how to get open without being a great athlete.
Given how far he has progressed just during this season which isn't over yet he has a chance. How well did he shoot against lousy teams in the early part of the year? Judging him a single game is silly. And there really aren't hundreds of great shooters out there. If there were our zone wold never have lasted this long.

Seems kind of difficult to avg 4 assists per year for 3 years in a row if you just get rid of the ball anytime someone comes near you. We barely have a guy averaging 3 a game.
Imagine Marek playing point like he did in Europe. He could get 4 assists while passing the ball instead of using his handle. That is how Kerr played in college. He was not athletic like Redick for eg.

I was never a real Cooney fan. But in fairness, there were games in his upper class seasons in which he was the offense and he careened around the court trying to get an open look off a screen. So that his percentage would fall under those circumstances is hardly surprising to me.

Statistics only tell part of any story.
I hated those sets. So hard to get your feet set, body square and elevate vertically really well when your momentum is taking you away from the basket.

I don't believe we have seen Buddy asked to take one of those this year.

You’re a dinosaur. This is what gets JAB in trouble. Kids today find it easier to shoot 3s than to shoot free throws.
Because they spend far more time shooting them. You're absolutely right.

Yes, Reddick was always very athletic - his handle was great/driving wasn't a strength early on, but he developed that fairly quickly.

That's not true at all. His size and athleticism were considered as negatives on his draft profile, as was his handle, passing, and defense. What got him drafted (and too high) was his jumper. He was, and is, as good a shooter as the nba has seen in decades, Curry and Klay notwithstanding.

That's not true at all. His size and athleticism were considered as negatives on his draft profile, as was his handle, passing, and defense. What got him drafted (and too high) was his jumper. He was, and is, as good a shooter as the nba has seen in decades, Curry and Klay notwithstanding.

I meant to write "wasn't," just for the record. :) Also, I wasn't implying he was elite, but his Sophomore year, and definitely by Junior/Senior seasons he was driving/getting to the rim pretty well. I wasn't commenting AT ALL on his ability to do so at an NBA level. Just that he had a fairly refined skill set for a college kid - compared to Buddy who may never be that adept at either of those things as Reddick was at Duke.

Reddick was always the superior athlete. Andy Rautins was too if you want to go with another Syracuse kid. Some people have a fluidity to their game - so you can kind of see whether they're going to be adept at certain things...Reddick, Rautins...both seemed more fluid even early before they were driving/handling the ball well. Right now, I'm not seeing that from Buddy. Seems like a shooter and likely going to be decent enough at everything else to be a great four year player.

Last edited:
He is about to lead the ACC in 3 pt shooting % and he is only a frosh. He could well end up holding some impressive records. What skill beyond 3 pt shooting did Steve Kerr have?

He might go pro after this year.

There is so much demand for a one-trick pony, can’t-shoot-off-the-dribble, or-dribble., or-defend player.

Goodness man!

I don't know if he'll make the NBA or not, but I hope he does. JJ Redick might be a better comparison.

As much as comparing white players to white players is a norm, Preston Shumpert didn’t get a look by the League.

Can we end this? Buddy will be awesome in Antartica’s Pro league or wherever. Not THE league. And that’s ok. He can be great for a few years here.

Reddick made it too and stuck in the NBA because he is a lights out shooter. I guess my point was that that's how Buddy would make it also.

Reddick was a workout monster and was jacked by his senior year.
One of the criticisms of Gerry back in the day was that he preferred fishing in the summer to working on his game. He never did improve his body very much, although for guys like Cooney, too much weight lifting hurt his game.

Shooting is one variable... the others need a ton of work

James Southerland could shoot the lights out, was 6'8", and barely sniffed the NBA.

Buy hey, if he improves enough to enter the NBA, that would be totally amazing...
southerland shot 30% from three in conference play

Just for fun I looked up Steve Kerr' s freshman stats. He averaged 11 ppg on 51% shooting (the 3 point line did not exist at the time).

Buddy is averaging 5 ppg on 36% shooting by comparison.

For the record, I believe Buddy probably could have played in the NBA in the 80s when the game was much slower paced and nobody knew how to guard shooters. ...

Eh. Greg Monroe could do everything better and, to the best of my knowledge, never sniffed the NBA in 1987. So I dunno about Buddy.

southerland shot 30% from three in conference play
Is that for career, or just senior year? I'm not sure how to search for conference only, but know he knocked down 40% for his entire senior year. Other years were weaker. And from the eye test, he was money when he was open. You have a point, maybe Buddy is a better shooter. I don't know if 11 ACC games is enough to make any definitive statements. However, I don't think it changes the overall argument. Plenty of taller guys who can shoot never cracked the NBA. He will need to improve in other areas. Listen, I hope he does it and am rooting for him big time. I had him draining 44 three pointers in the IGGY's too!

The reason why the best players, especially when it comes to Curry and Harden, are unstoppable at times, is not their separation of athleticism from the top 1% you mention, but the separation of their immense skill set. Curry and Harden no doubt are very good athletes, but they are not exceptional, nowhere at the level of athlete that Westbrook is. If Westbrook's shooting skills were just slightly better than what they are, along with his superior handle and freakish athleticism, well, as Donnie Brasco said...

tenor.gif
I will agree and disagree, a bit. Curry's quickness is incredible. So is Harden's, to create the separation he gets. Then their superior skill takes over. So its not just their skill sets, but I hear you. Westbrook is a man among boys athletically. It is crazy how athletic he is. As I said, HOF ability for FB, had he chosen to go that path. Imagine him as a safety, or WR.

Buddy's lack of athleticism will prevent any NBA dreams, even if he's shooting 50% from 3. His handle is very weak right now, hopefully to improve. How does he get open in the NBA, how does he do anything if he isn't wide open? Who could he guard?

Eh. Greg Monroe could do everything better and, to the best of my knowledge, never sniffed the NBA in 1987. So I dunno about Buddy.

Maybe you are right, but if you watch those old games where the 3 point line was new, shooters had all day to shoot. If Buddy was given the kind of time Greg Monroe got I think he'd probably shoot close to 70% from 3.

Why don’t you try making a comment that is halfway intelligent? Maybe you could support this verbal diarrhea of yours with some facts.

For example, what players can you name whose FT percentages are lower than their 3 pt percentages?
Marek is pretty close this year :p

Marek is pretty close this year :p

You are right based on 20 of each. Pretty small sample size.

After Opening Day, half the teams are going to tied for first place, too.

You are right based on 20 of each. Pretty small sample size.

After Opening Day, half the teams are going to tied for first place, too.
Hey just messing around. I just found it interesting someone on our roster was actually close.

It's not like I was telling you that Daniel Nava was once the best baseball player ever

Buddy will be a good player for us for 4 years but cmon people he isn’t an NBA level athlete.
What position could he guard?
This isn’t the 1980s when Kelly Tripucka, Kiki Vandeweghe, Danny Ferry, type players were on every team,
Nowadays you need atleast Kevin Love level athleticism and he sucks defensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom