Buddy? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy?

I agree Buddy should have gotten a chance.

Props to VT but when a defense is that aggressive you have to counter it with lots of back cuts. They had their way with us tonight.

Same team that gave up 103 a few days ago.

It's moments like this that I'm glad I never played this stupid sport. But since I love SU and SU doesn't have hockey in the winter, stuck I am.
The officials took both of VT's starting guards out of that game in the first 10 minutes.

Let's go so far as to call it "nepotism." I personally have suggested JB had been giving Buddy the kind of "benefit of doubt" that he hadn't afforded to other players we've had over the years, who had similarly 'not performed.' Not the worst thing in the world, and i didn't complain about it so much as say, along with others, "how weird it was to see Buddy in the game, in the first half of a close league game."

So, there's the premise.

Firstly, "nepotism" wouldn't have to be a binary thing. Coach isn't a robot. He could give Buddy the 'benefit of the doubt' in some situations, and then recognize Buddy had less of a chance to succeed (today) and not play him. Doesn't mean he wasn't given the benefit of the doubt earlier.

Kinda surprises me when people need to insist that everything must be everything at all times. Not everything can be reduced to such simplicity.

But, whatever. I get that so many people are so sensitive in their 'defense' of Buddy. But, please recognize that there's no one here who doesn't want Buddy to succeed. No one.

I wasn’t defending Buddy at all. I was calling out our fans stupid takes because they’re mad he’s played over Carey when Carey hasn’t played well. I’m not sure why this bothers you so much.

Imagine the threads we'd be looking at if Buddy had been on the court when Va Tech was blowing the game open in the first half.

I'd rather imagine our guys coming out in the first half playing solid D vs. appearing as if we were just going through the motions with all those wide open looks VPI had.

I wasn’t defending Buddy at all. I was calling out our fans stupid takes because they’re mad he’s played over Carey when Carey hasn’t played well. I’m not sure why this bothers you so much.
You don't have any idea what bothers me or how much.
For someone 'not defending Buddy,' you sure made a big ALL CAPS splash about it. And, in calling the "takes" "stupid," i don't think you're recognizing the contexts in which those original comments were made.

I don't know/remember if you were in the various game threads, but, yeah, when JB put Buddy into the games in the first halves of those ACC games, many people were like W TF is he doing in the game now? Is someone hurt, etc. They weren't "stupid takes." They were genuine and reasonable reactions, because we have not been accustomed to seeing other non-Boeheim players being put into those situations before they had demonstrated some success. And at that point, young Buddy just hadn't demonstrated it (in games).

But, whatever. If you're determined to be the kind of person who calls fans "stupid" or their in-game reactions "stupid," that's who you're gonna be. But, damn, man—they were simple comments during games. Stream of consciousness, expressed on a web forum as we were watching games. And then the reactionaries had to make a hyoooger deal about it, as if someone actually hates the kid because of it. IMO, those were the "stupid takes," and i use the word "takes" only mockingly, because i hate how that word is trending...

You don't have any idea what bothers me or how much.
For someone 'not defending Buddy,' you sure made a big ALL CAPS splash about it. And, in calling the "takes" "stupid," i don't think you're recognizing the contexts in which those original comments were made.

I don't know/remember if you were in the various game threads, but, yeah, when JB put Buddy into the games in the first halves of those ACC games, many people were like W TF is he doing in the game now? Is someone hurt, etc. They weren't "stupid takes." They were genuine and reasonable reactions, because we have not been accustomed to seeing other non-Boeheim players being put into those situations before they had demonstrated some success. And at that point, young Buddy just hadn't demonstrated it (in games).

But, whatever. If you're determined to be the kind of person who calls fans "stupid" or their in-game reactions "stupid," that's who you're gonna be. But, damn, man—they were simple comments during games. Stream of consciousness, expressed on a web forum as we were watching games. And then the reactionaries had to make a hyoooger deal about it, as if someone actually hates the kid because of it. IMO, those were the "stupid takes," and i use the word "takes" only mockingly, because i hate how that word is trending...

The post was sarcasm and you didn’t get it, but you’ve been all over Buddy since the beginning of the season so I can’t say I’m surprised you jumped at it.

Tonight was not the night to put him in as VPI plays pressure D.

There’s zero to complain about this year with the substitution patterns.

He can shoot. Nobody is questioning that. But VT was not going to give him looks. Half interested defense up 20 points with minutes left is different than what the team played against tonight.
Which is why it would be nice to occasionally run an offensive set to generate open looks. How many times did they double the ball and we never found the open man?

You pick the the place and I'll choose the Boeheim...

PS love the football fans chanting...want them in our crowd. helps, IMO to understand Freud.

The post was sarcasm and you didn’t get it, but you’ve been all over Buddy since the beginning of the season so I can’t say I’m surprised you jumped at it.

Tonight was not the night to put him in as VPI plays pressure D.

There’s zero to complain about this year with the substitution patterns.
Again, you really have no idea what i 'get.' Your sarcasm was aimed at other fans.

Secondly, it's a flat lie that i've been "all over Buddy." That's just stupid. I'm on the record having said he's going to be a really good player for us / that i and everyone else hopes he succeeds / that he's got a beautiful stroke / that his shot and form remind me of Clay Thompson / that i loved how he made plays and penetrated and didn't settle for shots in the exhibitions / that he was a smart player / that he didn't take bad shots / that he's going to be a Janulis for us / and even just recently that he's been playing great and reached my expectations for him a year early. And nowhere in what i've said about him has been remotedly critical. When JB chose to play him has nothing to do with Buddy.

Please. Find some citations where i've been "all over Buddy." You're confused, or you're so sensitive for some reason that you take anything said that isn't akin to worship as a slight. No one kicked Buddy's puppy. When he was clanking shots, people kinda mentioned that. Because, you know, that's what this is all about. When he was hitting shots, people kinda mentioned that. Christ, when you're not making up insults, you're whining about nothing.

Again, you really have no idea what i 'get.' Your sarcasm was aimed at other fans.

Secondly, it's a flat lie that i've been "all over Buddy." That's just stupid. I'm on the record having said he's going to be a really good player for us / that i and everyone else hopes he succeeds / that he's got a beautiful stroke / that his shot and form remind me of Clay Thompson / that i loved how he made plays and penetrated and didn't settle for shots in the exhibitions / that he was a smart player / that he didn't take bad shots / that he's going to be a Janulis for us / and even just recently that he's been playing great and reached my expectations for him a year early. And nowhere in what i've said about him has been remotedly critical. When JB chose to play him has nothing to do with Buddy.

Please. Find some citations where i've been "all over Buddy." You're confused, or you're so sensitive for some reason that you take anything said that isn't akin to worship as a slight. No one kicked Buddy's puppy. When he was clanking shots, people kinda mentioned that. Because, you know, that's what this is all about. When he was hitting shots, people kinda mentioned that. Christ, when you're not making up insults, you're whining about nothing.

Oh I wasn’t whining and I wasn’t defending Buddy. I was defending the idiotic point that people think the only reason he plays is because of nepotism. I made a sarcastic post you felt the need to respond to for some reason when it wasn’t even directed at you. Clearly you feel guilty about something if you feel the need to respond to me with an essay.

Why do some people continue to refer to the school as vpi? Seems odd, especially after they so easily kicked our arse

Why do some people continue to refer to the school as vpi? Seems odd, especially after they so easily kicked our arse

Same reason we refer to UConn as Storrs Agricultural.

Because we can.

Oh I wasn’t whining and I wasn’t defending Buddy. I was defending the idiotic point that people think the only reason he plays is because of nepotism. I made a sarcastic post you felt the need to respond to for some reason when it wasn’t even directed at you. Clearly you feel guilty about something if you feel the need to respond to me with an essay.
You like to tell me how i feel. And you're never right.

An "essay?" Son, you asked for it when you said, "Make an argument then."

There's no guilt. It's just odd that you seem to be feasting on some imaginary "gotcha/told ya so" moment, when there was never an opposing view. It's a strawman, but somehow it makes you feel good to have attacked it. So, you've got that goin' for ya—which is nice.

Yep, i keep responding, because it's amusing sometimes, trying to chase the distortions and illogic. But, you guys keep harping on this fabricated argument, when you still haven't been able to answer the one significant question that drove the initial comments.

Name another freshman 'shooter,' who had been sucking at shooting in games, who got put into a closely-contested Big East or ACC game in the first half. I've seen all but 4 of our broadcast games since 1985 and don't recall that scenario. If you don't find it 'odd' that it just happened to happen with the son, then you simply disagree with a relatively benign set of comments during game threads, and maybe you could just give it a rest.

That's the part I don't get. We're winning games, we've built up some chemistry in the rotation, you have a kid coming off the bench hitting shots, but he can't play tonight because we're going to face pressure defense from a team that gave up over one HUNDRED points in their last game.

Maybe we're overthinking it?
Same questions here. I don’t get it. Carey and Boo showed why they’re not playing.

So if battle isn’t doing good we should throw in the towel cause no one can do good? May as well only play 5 people and throw in the towel if they can’t play well

No Carey was the player that plays a style that had a chance to be successful against the defense we saw, hence he got minutes not Buddy.

You like to tell me how i feel. And you're never right.

An "essay?" Son, you asked for it when you said, "Make an argument then."

There's no guilt. It's just odd that you seem to be feasting on some imaginary "gotcha/told ya so" moment, when there was never an opposing view. It's a strawman, but somehow it makes you feel good to have attacked it. So, you've got that goin' for ya—which is nice.

Yep, i keep responding, because it's amusing sometimes, trying to chase the distortions and illogic. But, you guys keep harping on this fabricated argument, when you still haven't been able to answer the one significant question that drove the initial comments.

Name another freshman 'shooter,' who had been sucking at shooting in games, who got put into a closely-contested Big East or ACC game in the first half. I've seen all but 4 of our broadcast games since 1985 and don't recall that scenario. If you don't find it 'odd' that it just happened to happen with the son, then you simply disagree with a relatively benign set of comments during game threads, and maybe you could just give it a rest.

Is he “sucking” right now? No.

Did JB play him yesterday when the game meant something? No.

And you’re WRONG. Cooney played 39 games in 12-13 averaging about the same amount of minutes shooting 27% from 3 which is significantly worse than Buddy this season at 33%.

IMO the opinions on Buddy are just a extension of people wanting a reason to complain about the coach.

Is he “sucking” right now? No.

Did JB play him yesterday when the game meant something? No.

And you’re WRONG. Cooney played 39 games in 12-13 averaging about the same amount of minutes shooting 27% from 3 which is significantly worse than Buddy this season at 33%.

IMO the opinions on Buddy are just a extension of people wanting a reason to complain about the coach.
Again, logic escapes you and you continue to need to mischaracterize posts to fit a simpler strawman storyline. No one is saying he's sucking now.

No, JB didn't play him yesterday, which is the point of this entire stupid back and forth: that if you call it Nepotism, that doesn't mean it has to be a binary 'rule.' You understand that, don't you?

Cooney was a redshirt freshman, no? Whatever. You can have it anyway.

In your opinion, again, you're oversimplifying everything and now you need to do it to defend JB against complaints? At first you weren't defending Buddy, and now i guess you're not defending JB. Okay...

Just saw in another thread how you don't understand why people don't talk about a team flaw when we win, as if that means it only exists when we lose... I would think that is actually a simple answer—the kind you need—so i don't get why you don't get that, either. I guess you're just one of those guys who sulks when every thread or comment isn't a pep rally of positive affirmations. But, you've been around for 18,000 messages, so you ought to be used to it by now. Everyone here loves SU. Everyone who loves SU doesn't need to think about things in the same way. Was that simple enough?

Bowing out of this. Feel free to take the specious W.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom