Buddy's game | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy's game

yes. a zone beater. and jb would never adjust to cover him. he would absolutely brenden plavich us.
never to be heard from again.

(unc charlotte 10 treys)

Buddy doesn’t bother me. Seems like a really good kid, and does what he’s capable of. He hits shots at the end of the game when it’s frantic, we’ve upped the pace, and he can get more open looks because it’s just a little more helter skelter than in the first half. In the first halves, he does take a few unwise shots, when he’s not really open enough, but that’s what happens when you have supreme confidence, a greener than green light, assure PT, and you recognize we don’t have a point guard who is really ready to make shots easier, nor a post game.

Someone mentioned earlier, put him with a legit pg, legit 4, legit center. Not even saying superstars from the past. He would of played the Cipolla role perfectly in 96.

I think Buddy will have a very good career here. Right now, he is terrible on defense. And he doesn't add much on offense other than he can shoot. Usually when the game is sort of decided. But that will change. He will pick up short cuts on defense that will make him acceptable on defense at some point. He will add to his offense because it is clear he works hard. I think the same about Girard. they will be a tough offensive duo at some point.

Buddy wouldn't look so bad on defense if he was only playing 20-25 minutes. He's not quick to begin with, but with some adrenaline and a few less minutes, he could be better defensively. He needs to work on agility drills this summer, for sure.

Buddy is a great shooter and is a valuable player when he comes off the bench and provides a spark offensively like he did last year. He shouldn't be asked to provide consistent good play as a full time starter this year especially for a program like Syracuse. He would've thrived on the 2014 team that had a good starting line up but needed good outside scoring depth to help overcome scoring droughts

In an ideal world, he would have been the 6th man this year and a starter next year.

Considering how harsh we've been to players like Dontae Green, etc...i think Buddy is still getting a mighty big pass for being the most one dimensional shooting guard imaginable.

Well, it's not like Buddy was a Mickey Dee's who refused to rebound the second half of the year because he didn't want to get hurt before the draft. Expectations play a factor, too.

I think Buddy will have a very good career here. Right now, he is terrible on defense. And he doesn't add much on offense other than he can shoot. Usually when the game is sort of decided. But that will change. He will pick up short cuts on defense that will make him acceptable on defense at some point. He will add to his offense because it is clear he works hard. I think the same about Girard. they will be a tough offensive duo at some point.
The fact that our starting back court is Buddy and Joe sums it up.

Devo was also a guy who would hustle his a$$ off and hit the floor, try to get loose balls, etc.

I don’t see any of that fire from Buddy.

Buddy played scrappier last year, when he didn't have to pace himself to play 35 minutes.

Buddy played scrappier last year, when he didn't have to pace himself to play 35 minutes.

Well then it’s his pop’s fault for failing to KYP. Know your personnel. Play Bras for 5-7 minutes a game so Buddy doesn’t need to play 30.

JB built the program. JB built this team. so when buddy is the only option at 2. that's what JB designed.

Last edited:
represents a lot of what I hate about basketball - he threw in a ton of points in the second half when the game was never in doubt. He was a major negative on both ends in the first half and on D the entire game. What irks me the most is he literally does nothing else on the court, but shoot. He doesn't rebound or seem to scrap. Not a good passer or handler. I thought he had a chance to be fringe honorable mention ACC, but now I just see him as a chucker who gets too many minutes.
If he’s that unathletic, it says a lot about Georgetown when he dropped 25 points on them in one half and he’s only a sophomore. He has some limitations, but tell me a player who doesn’t.

Buddy is a decent 6-8th player. Good shooter who is one dimensional, cant create his own shot and is a liability on defense. He has a high bball IQ which helps to mask his lack of athleticism. He would start and do well at Niagara, Bonny, UB.
He should never be starting for Syracuse.

If the 2014 team had Buddy over Cooney I think they could have won the NC.
Buddy is a role player. He plays way too much for this team.
That is his flaw.
He can shoot. We need shooting. He isn’t JJ Redick but he can play.

If he’s that unathletic, it says a lot about Georgetown when he dropped 25 points on them in one half and he’s only a sophomore. He has some limitations, but tell me a player who doesn’t.

Scoring 25 points on offense doesn't have anything to do with how frequently guards drive past him into the teeth of the zone on defense.

Buddy is averaging over 15 ppg, 2.7 assists/game and shooting over 39% from the 3 point circle.

On an offensively challenged team, he is one of our only players who can score.

He isn’t very good defensively. This is true. I don’t think we have any above average players on defense this year. Elijah is average. Marek is average, might be a little above average if it wasn’t for his constant foul trouble.

If you think Buddy is our biggest problem, you have serious problems evaluating what you see. Who do you think should be playing over Buddy? Playing another player the defense doesn’t have to cover is not going to help matters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom