Buddy's game | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Buddy's game

I don’t disagree with any of this. I do think he gets more criticism because he’s JB’s son, but we shouldn’t expect him to have to score 20 for us to be successful.

I think he's in an unfortunate spot and I don't envy the kid.

We need a couple of guys to score 15-18 plus to be successful though. And he's being asked to do too much.

We just need Buddy to get off to better starts. He will figure it out.

I do agree there are times when he needs to sit and he did sit yesterday in the first half. But the other guys have got to show something when they play. Did BG play at all? I fell asleep in the second half and may have missed him getting in.

anyways please don’t trash Buddy as he is doing his very best for the team. He didn’t recruit the players on the team.

If Buddy wasn’t playing superstar minutes I think the criticism would be just people frustrated with JB.

JB can’t deny the standard he has used on other players being pulled from games doesn’t apply to the same the Buddy.
It’s not like our rotation in 2014 when all we had was Ennis/Cooney and first year Gbinije.

Buddy and Girard are not miles better than Goodine/Washington and putting Hughes at SG.
JB is stubborn to giving Buddy high 30 MPG.
He isn’t that type of player and we have other options that don’t get close to the same minutes.

If Buddy wasn’t playing superstar minutes I think the criticism would be just people frustrated with JB.

JB can’t deny the standard he has used on other players being pulled from games doesn’t apply to the same the Buddy.
It’s not like our rotation in 2014 when all we had was Ennis/Cooney and first year Gbinije.

Buddy and Girard are not miles better than Goodine/Washington and putting Hughes at SG.
JB is stubborn to giving Buddy high 30 MPG.
He isn’t that type of player and we have other options that don’t get close to the same minutes.

I was wrong. I thought Goodine would be good and better than Girard. He is not. He reminds me a bit of Louie McCroskey. That is scary.

fg% among the guys who actually see the court :
EH (45% ) BB (39%) JG(38%) MD (60%) BS( 66%) QG (40%).
actual points per shot attempt :
EH (1.5) BB (1.1) JG (1.3) MD (2.0) BS (1.6) QG (1.2)

i guess the math suggests that if other players are shooting at a higher floor percentage and those shot attempts in fact yield more net points ultimately maybe we're not spending our limited ammunition all that wisely.
the avg. points per game stat is really meaningless unless you know how many shots it took to get there.

Last edited:

i guess the math suggests that if other players are shooting at a higher floor percentage and those shot attempts in fact yield more net points ultimately maybe we're not spending our limited ammunition all that wisely.
the avg. points per game stat is really meaningless unless you know how many shots it took to get there.
Not sure what you’re trying to do with this analysis, but I cannot take seriously an evaluation like this one that attempts to suggest that Quincy is a better offensive player than Buddy (1.2 > 1.1) and that Bourama is better than Elijah (1.6 > 1.5).

“Actual points per shot attempt” is not a metric that any serious analyst relies on...

well the point is if you gave any player 18 shots a game their points per game would be rather impressive.
bourama sidibe for example. over the season he has proven thus far to yield 1.6 pts per attempt.
so if sid takes 18 shots at 1.6 points per he nets us 29 points. great game !

well the point is if you gave any player 18 shots a game their points per game would be rather impressive.
bourama sidibe for example. over the season he has proven thus far to yield 1.6 pts per attempt.
No serious analyst truly relies on “points per game”, though. You do know that, right?

And I’m going to assume that you’re not really suggesting that Sidibe is capable of having the offense go through him to the tune of 18 shot attempts per game.

But if you do possess some magic basketball knowledge that would even simply double Sidibe’s points per game output, please share it. I’m all ears.

the fact you can find no direct correlation between shot attempts and points produced i find puzzling.
it's not magic. it's available in any boxscore. so you're implying that a player who scores ten points on 10 shots had a better night than a player who scored 9 points on 3 shots. explain your logic.(with math please.)

I completely agree! If some team gives Sidibe 18 dunk attempts he will miss 3 or 4 of them...

Yeah. We should feed Sidibe. We all know he’d surely be able to maintain the same FG % if he had to take 15 shots per game, right?

well 18 times 66% odds say he makes 11.8 dunks. but he'll likely pad his scoring average with trips to the line.

Would be nice if Buddy moved more without the ball, drawing defenders all over the perimeter, like Cooney.

It’d also be nice if Buddy passed as well as Joe and Marek, or followed his shot like Elijah often does.

He doesn’t, so if he’s not hitting shots he does very little else to put us in a position to win.

I feel as though Quincy, Elijah, Marek and at times Joe are the only players who are mutli-talented on our team. I think Bourama’s progressed a little too.

the fact you can find no direct correlation between shot attempts and points produced i find puzzling.
it's not magic. it's available in any boxscore. so you're implying that a player who scores ten points on 10 shots had a better night than a player who scored 9 points on 3 shots. explain your logic.(with math please.)
You‘re having issues understanding what I’m saying. I never said, nor implied, that points per game was a particularly important statistic. In fact, I specifically said, “No serious analyst truly relies on ‘points per game’”.

So I am not implying that a player who scores ten points on 10 shots had a better night than a player who score 9 points on 3 shots. I hope that makes it crystal clear for you. (Although it is certainly possible, depending on other stats like assists, turnovers, etc.)

There are already statistics available to quantify one’s offensive contribution, and those statistics do not support your post earlier today that suggested Quincy > Buddy and Bourama > Elijah.

well back to buddy. 25 points is great but based on his shooting over the 10 games we've played ,
(and i think we can all agree ten games is a fair sample given his ample minutes in each contest)
for buddy to average say 20 points a game he'll need to take 18 plus shots a game.
(as for Quincy > Buddy and Bourama > Elijah. check your work sheet elijah is 1.5 pps.)

He’s a GREAT shooter. One of the best we’ve ever had. Not good at anything else though. It’s not his fault we don’t have anyone better. At the same time, people are frustrated that we’re in a position where sophomore Buddy is one of our main guys.

I can agree with basically all of that. I think he moves the ball relatively well. When he came here, I honestly never expected him to be as good as he's been (already). He's a dead eye shooter, but unfortunately he and JG have to be on the court together because we absolutely need their scoring. And clearly it causes an issue on the defensive end.

Wasn't the knock on him that he couldn't recruit?

No big man coach is gonna turn these guys into something they aren't.

He’d fit right in recruiting wise with the current crop of SU coaches. Perhaps our big guys would show some progress over the course of their career with him. He got a coaching gig at the Hall if I remember correctly. None of our current assistants would sniff a Big East coaching job especially that era of the Big East. He must have done something well.

He’d fit right in recruiting wise with the current crop of SU coaches. Perhaps our big guys would show some progress over the course of their career with him. He got a coaching gig at the Hall if I remember correctly. None of our current assistants would sniff a Big East coaching job especially that era of the Big East. He must have done something well.

He got a coaching job at Siena. A few years after that, he got hired at Seton Hall.

(as for Quincy > Buddy and Bourama > Elijah. check your work sheet elijah is 1.5 pps.)
It’s not my worksheet, pal, it’s yours. You’re the one who posted BS (1.6) and EH (1.5).

But I did check your math, anyway, and you know what? 1.6 (BS) is indeed greater than 1.5 (EH). Really, it’s true!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom